Author Topic: Indian Army Quarterly Lists - An Explanation  (Read 9589 times)

Online Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Indian Army Quarterly Lists - An Explanation
« on: Monday 08 January 07 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Everyone,
I'm a bit confused about the nature of the entries in the Indian Army Quarterly Lists, which are one of the resources on ancestry.co.uk.
Looking up a Major Pomeroy HOLLAND-PRYOR (a surname that today comes into my family research for the first time), there are 3 separate entries, with slightly different detail, but all dated 1st January 1912.
There seem to be references to dates in 1905, 1908 and 1910, yet in the marriage certificate of 1904 that I have in front of me - where he is the father of the bride at a London Paddington Registry Office - his occupation is given as "Wine Shipper".
Can anyone explain what all this might mean?
Very best wishes,
keith

Online Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Indian Army Quarterly Lists - An Explanation
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 January 07 12:20 GMT (UK) »
N.B Just had a look on Google, and it looks very much as if this individual became a Major-General later on - so I'm even more confused about why his daughter should have put him down as shipping wine for a living...
Keith

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 January 07 13:05 GMT (UK) »
There's a WW1 medal card for him as well, which gives his rank as Brevet Colonel /Temporary Brigadier General.

The reference to "wine shipper" is from 1904.
Could it be that the first army reference to him, 1905, is his commission date (ie entry into the army?)

Neil
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline Arfur Mo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 January 07 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith,

I'm not sure why his occupation was given as wine shipper :-\ I have found his obituary in the Times that shows he had a distinguished career in both the British and the Indian army.

The obit is from the Times dated Monday March 21st 1955

Hope this helps,

Arf :)

I am sorry but my emails are not working.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 January 07 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Neil,
It appears as though, in my reading of the Indian Army Quarterly List that a date of 16th November 1887 is given as his first commission.  Plus, he's given a birth date of 7th July 1866.  So the "wine shipper" sounds rather odd - maybe his 29-year-old spinster daughter had had too much of the red stuff herself when trying to remember what her dear old dad did for a living - hardly likely, though...
And Arf, thanks so much for that very interesting obit from the Times, apart from supplying a valuable date of death, and confirming his date of commission and date of birth of course...
keith

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 January 07 14:28 GMT (UK) »
I would suggest that he had a daughter with a sense of humour.  In her mind everyone would know what her father actually did and so when asked for his occupation by the officiating clergyman she referred to his propensity for the fruit of the vine and was taken literally.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 January 07 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Actually,
This could be a case of not seeing the wood for the trees, for quite obviously (now I see it!) the famous military man, born in 1866, could not possibly have been the father of a daughter who was married aged 29 in 1904.  Back to the drawing board, but strange that there may have been 2 individuals with such a striking name...
keith
Perhaps there were two generations of Pomeroy's in the same HOLLAND-PRYOR family, and the Major-General Pomeroy(b. 1866) was brother to Muriel Gawler HOLLAND-PRYOR (b. circa 1875) - and their father Pomeroy was indeed a wine seller (almost typed in the word "cellar" in my confusion, and willingness to clutch at straws)
I bet all the genealogy for this family is tucked away in Indian Army records, or in other Commonwealth countries...

Offline tarahollandprior

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 December 08 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am thankful for your hard work on my great-grandfather.  Sir Major-General Pomeroy Holland-Pryor as I hadn't found his obituary before.  Keith if I can help you with any further enquiries I'm only to happy to answer any questions.
Tara

Online Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 December 08 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Tara, and welcome to Rootschat!
It's been nearly two years since this thread was last active, and I need to refresh myself with the details of the marriage certificate of Major John Fortune NOTT.  He was the father of my gt-grandmother's second husband Edward Vernon NOTT, and this was his second marriage.  His bride's father on the certificate is given as Pomeroy HOLLAND-PRYOR.
John Fortune NOTT was born in 1847, and emigrated to Montreal, where he became some kind of broker.  When war broke out in Canada in the 1880's he joined the Canadian Rifles and thereafter was referred to as Major John NOTT.  His first wife must have died some time after 1881, for in 1891 he is back in England, living in Twickenham on his own.   He died in the early 1930's in the Kingston, Surrey area.
I would be most interested to hear of any details you might be able to give me about your great-grandfather and his family.
If you'd prefer to contact me using the Personal Message facility on my profile, then please use that, or simply post a reply on this thread...
Very best wishes,
keith