Author Topic: Indian Army Quarterly Lists - An Explanation  (Read 9608 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Indian Army Quarterly Lists - An Explanation
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Fiona, and welcome to Rootschat!
Good to get a third Rootschatter into the mix on this thread.  As you can see, this has been one of the most frustrating ones I have started, as the HOLLAND/PRIOR's et al are a complex family.  Would be nice to eventually get a handle on where Muriel Gawler HOLLAND/PRIOR fits in exactly.  Not a blood relative, or an ancestor of mine, but would like to know who it was that my gt-grandmother's second father in law married.
John Fortune NOTT subsequently suffered a double tragedy in 1914 - and not one caused by The Great War in this case - in that two of his sons died prematurely in their thirties within a few months of one another of TB.  And I often wonder what became of Muriel Gawler NOTT after 1930, when J.F.NOTT died himself...
regards, keith

Offline tarahollandprior

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Dear Fiona,
I am delighted to meet you online.  I will send you my number.
Best regards
Tara

Offline tarahollandprior

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Keith
I can confirm that Muriel is Pomeroy Holland-Pryor's sister.  I can only confirm this now due to information that came to the family not long ago.
I hope this assists your search.
Should you be digging further into the Holland-Pryor family I hope you will pass this information along.
Thank you
Wishing you a prosperous 2011
Tara

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Tara,
Thanks very much for that last piece of information.  And thanks to everyone else who has come in and contributed on this thread (relatives of yours, if quite distant in some cases!): I have now to my satisfaction pinpointed where Muriel Gawler HOLLAND-PRYOR fits in...
She was sister to your great-grandpa Pomeroy, the subsequently eminent military man.  Their father, bearing the same name, your gt-gt-grandpa, was indeed a wine shipper or merchant.  And his father, your gt-gt-gt-grandpa was a John Gawler PRIOR a merchant who perhaps diversified in other commodities as well as wine.
Looking again at the marriage certificate of 1904 for the Registry Office in Paddington, one of the witnesses was a Clarissa HOLLAND-PRYOR, who presumably must have been the Clarissa (nee SODEN) whom you mention, mother to Muriel Gawler and her brother Pomeroy the soldier, and she was of course your gt-gt-grandmother.
Muriel, b.circa 1875, must have got her middle name of Gawler from her own grandfather John Gawler PRIOR.
By the way, the address given by the bride on that day on 20th July 1904 was 62, Talbot Road, Paddington, and perhaps this might ring significant bells within your family.
Many thanks for all this,
regards, keith

Offline tarahollandprior

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 30 December 10 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Dear Keith,
Thank you for this information, it is helpful.  I am very curious why you are doing so much research on Fiona and my family when you do not have a blood connection.. 
I am really sorry to raise this again as I just wish to understand why....
I look forward to hearing from you,
Kind regards
Tara

Offline CathyMW

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 03 May 21 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am just dropping in to see if someone claims Helen Sybil Holland-Pryor of Devonshire Lodge, Basingstoke in 1920 ? Part of a research into local lost houses  :)