Author Topic: Indian Army Quarterly Lists - An Explanation  (Read 9614 times)

Offline PeterRG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Indian Army Quarterly Lists - An Explanation
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 January 09 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tara:

I have just found out that Pomeroy Holland-Pryor was married to Agnes St John Moir who is my 1st cousin 2 times removed (so somewhat distant but not that far).  I have them in my family tree which asks for his birthplace.  Do you have that information?  (I can't find him on www.freebmd.org.uk, www.fibis.org or www.indiafamily.bI.uk so presume he wasn't born in England or India.)  Do you have the date of his death?  The obituary that was posted says "died recently" and it was printed on March 21 1955 so presumably it was sometime just before then. Thanks very much for your help.

Peter

PS. if it hasn't already been beaten to death I wonder if the wine shipper shouldn't have been wine sipper!

Offline tarahollandprior

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 February 09 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello Peter,
That is fascinating news and I am delighted to meet a member of my extended family.  Whose descendant are you?
I look forward to hearing from you and amazing too!
Tara

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 February 09 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Tara,
Hi again, and did you find out whether you are in any way connected with Muriel Gawler HOLLAND-PRYOR...?
We last communicated nearly 2 months ago; PM me if you prefer...
keith
p.s. Have recently discovered that her husband John Fortune NOTT seems to have been left behind (along with his 4 year old brother) in England when his parents emigrated to Australia in 1854.  Still haven't got to the bottom of that particular puzzle...

Offline tarahollandprior

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 February 09 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith,
Many many sincere apologies, we had christmas and other events going on so things were put on the back burner for a while.  I am waiting on some further thought from my mother, I will remind her. 
Thanks and I will be in touch,
Tara

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 01 February 09 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Tara,
Look forward to hearing from you in due course!  I think I may have mentioned too - in an e-mail to you, perhaps - that a P. HOLLAND-PRYOR was the informant of the death of John Fortune NOTT in December 1930 at 199, Richmond Rd., Kingston.
He was Muriel Gawler's brother.  Maybe he was living with them there at the time...
Regards, keith
I'd really quite like to know what happened to Muriel Gawler after 1930, she would only have been about 55 years old then....

Offline tarahollandprior

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 01 February 09 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith,
I wouldn't have thought that he was living with them.  I know he lived not far away.
Tara

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 01 February 09 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Tara,
So then he must have been in close contact with them or at least his sister, to have been the one to have reported the death.  Will be very interested to hear more in due course.
What's a strange coincidence is that my own home was only about a mile away, from about 1960 until just over 2 years ago, and in the 1960's I must have walked past 199, Richmond Rd. every time I went to watch my local team Kingstonian play at their home ground near Latchmere Drive, not realising that a member of my family had lived and died there 30 years previously. (No football stadium any more, just a housing estate today )
keith

Offline PeterRG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 02 February 09 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tara:

Agnes St John Moir (Pomeroy's wife) and I are descended from John Richard Fraser and his cousin Mary Fraser both from Jedburgh, Roxburghshire.  They had 9 children including Jane Margaret b. 18 Jan 1840 in Calcutta, died 26 Dec 1920.  She married William Moir in 1864 and they had 7 children including Agnes St John.  I am descended from John Richard and Mary's second son, John Richard b. 11 Feb 1835 in Calcutta.  Our common ancestor was Agnes's grandfather and my great great grandfather.  How are you related to Redvers?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Peter

Offline tarahollandprior

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 09 February 09 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,
I have the file open at last!
My Great Great Grandfather Holland P Prior married Clarissa Soden.  He wa a wine merchant!
My Great Great Great Grandfather is John Gawler Prior, he was listed as a Merchant in London in 1734.
My Grandfather is Redvers, the Beachmaster and submariner. 
The Moirs were based in Edinburgh and India - were you born in Edinburgh or India?
Look forward to reading your thoughts on this
Kind regards
Tara