Author Topic: Stuck on Neale of Lambeth  (Read 5943 times)

Offline mc8

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck on Neale of Lambeth
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 January 07 22:28 GMT (UK) »

Monique, sorry but George is not Brown but George Neale and so is Charles Neale.
he may have appeared with that name in the census, but the complete bmd does not feature him in 1850/ 1st q 1851 under neale or neale (or Charles in 1850/49 under either variation) in Newington or Camberwell. There was a George in Lambeth though...
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 January 07 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lemon

I have been going over this again.

The census info is fairly consistent apart from the 1861 where the ages of Caroline and Elizabeth are very odd in relation to the 1851 entry. Also, all in 1861 are said to have been born in Newington. The 1871 entry shows a more consistent age for Carolne although Elizabeth ages by 13 years. Despite these inconsistencies I agree with you that this is the same family (I did have a look for a better fitting family in 1861 but with no success).

In the 1851 census son Charles is shown as born in Bermondsey and I see that that is the certificate you have. In 1861 and 1871 he is said to be born in Newington but I would be inclined to believe that the 1851 census info would be more accurate.  However baby George is a bit odd as, using the same reasoning,  I would expect there to be a birth in Newington.

Free BMD has this death - possibly young George.  Might be worth getting a death certificate?

Deaths Dec 1853 
Neale  George    Newington  1d 160 

I have been trying to think of other ways in which the Tylers, Neales and Browns might be connected.  For example, in 1851  Helen need not be the mother of the 2 boys as the relationships are to the Head of the Household.  Have not come up with any definite conclusions though.

Valda's 1841 finds are interesting. But I can't seem to find Henry or Isaac in 1851.

What was the occupation of Alice Miller's father on the marriage certificate? Charles may have invented his father's occupation to make him appear a good catch!

Do you have the family in the  censuses after 1881?

Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Offline Lemontree

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 January 07 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Thank you for the help, I will organise and order the death certificate for George Neale and the marriage certificate for Elizabeth Tyler and John Star Brown.

I had wondered if Charles was perhaps trying to impress on this marriage certificate but his bride's father was a carpenter - so nothing really special.

In the 1881 census I just have Caroline Neale living with Charles Neale, the mother Elizabeth is not listed - I expect she has died. They are living at this time at 1 Napier Street Newington. Charles records his age as 28 on the census of this year and on his marriage certificate of 25 December 1881 states his age as 25 - Alice is only 19.

I havn't been able to find Charles and Alice on the 1891 census, I do know that they should have a son William by this time. I cannot find Caroline either, although the death certificate I have, if the correct one is dated 1892, the address on the death certificate is 22 Elizabeth Street, Walworth - her age at death 64.

In 1897 Charles dies. His widow Alice re-marries in 1898 to a George Ebsworth (apparently a lovely man - so my gran said) It took me nearly three years to find Alice and George Ebsworth on the 1901 census as his name was mis- transcribed.

The one thing I did try to do was to think in a different manner and at one time wondered if perhaps Elizabeth was the mother of Henry/Isaac Neale -  So was originally Elizabeth Neale and then she remarried and became Elizabeth Brown. On the 1951 census is states Helen as either daughter by husband - daughter in law? or deserted by husband. Helen may be another daughter in law, and caroline another but not in that household although it seems her children or child were at the time?

Thank you so much for your pondering it is very helpful

Lemon

Offline mc8

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 January 07 22:24 GMT (UK) »

I havn't been able to find Charles and Alice on the 1891 census, I do know that they should have a son William by this time. I cannot find Caroline either, although the death certificate I have, if the correct one is dated 1892, the address on the death certificate is 22 Elizabeth Street, Walworth - her age at death 64.
me neither-I did a search for all charles/ chas married to any Alice and all William with parents charles/ Alice....nothing remotely similar to Neale
Monique

Offline Lemontree

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 January 07 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thank you for looking.

I have found Eunice (Day born 1860) Mosdell - Alice's sister in the 1891 census to see if it would lead me to Alice Neale in 1891 ( you never know and I will try anything - well almost).

Eunice was not a comman name and much easier to locate - but it didn't seem to help me find Alice....

Lemon

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 10 January 07 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lemon
I have just had a look at the occupants of 12 Elizabeth Street and was disappointed not to find any Neales.  But then I noticed that the Head of the household is
Annie E Tyler Head Wid 51 b Sussex Brighton
She has 4 lodgers. The ref is RG12 361 f14.
Don't know whether you have already seen this but I thought the surname Tyler was interesting - possibly a sister in law?
Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 10 January 07 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Considering potential errors on censuses have you been able to eliminate the Neale family in Newington on the 1891 census?

RG12 360 folio 115
21 Doctor Newington St Mary  London   
Charles Neale 37 St Mary Newington, London, Head  Married Carman
Eliza Neale  28 St Mary Newington, London,  Wife Married
William Neale  5 St Mary Newington, London,  Son 

What occupation did Charles have at his death?
What age would their son William have been in 1891?
Do you have a birth certificate for any child born after 1891 - what was the address given?

A not inconsistent age for Charles on the 1891 census given the age he gave on the 1881 census (perhaps beginning to move it down for a younger wife). Given the age you give for Alice this would be spot on for her age. The 1881 census has an Alice E. Day of about the right age born Newington. Was this Alice who married Charles (Alice Eleanor)? Not to far from Eleanor to Eliza?

Regards

Valda

Offline Lemontree

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 10 January 07 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello

On William Henry Neale's marriage certificate (William being Charles son - born 1885) It states that Charles occupation was a chemist and that he was deceased - the marriage was in April 1908 and William 's age is given as 22.

This would make William 5/6 on the 1891 census - so the correct age. Alice has signed the marriage certificate as a witness - she has signed it as just Alice Ebswith.

I hadn't got any other names for children born to Charles and Alice - one reason I wanted to find them on the 1891 census - so I could get siblings names.

On the 1901 census Alice is living with George Elsworth, who is a fishmonger mistranscribed as 'ebworth', they are living a 132 Sumner Road, Camberwell. Arthur is 5 years and Albert Neale is 9 years are two sons living with them - both born after 1891 - so I dont know if there are any more children between William and Arthur and Albert. I havn't got a birth certificate for any other children.

I have to admit it was late last night when I looked at the address of Elizabeth Street and the number should be 27 - I am sorry not 22.

I asked my own grandmother as much as I could, I made as many notes as possible aswell -  I have found in the notes I made that William Neale (my grandmothers father) was occording to her about 6 years old when Caroline/Elanora died

I think Charles moved his age as his wife was so young - he would have been around 12 years older than she was, so he just knocked a few years of!! Although if its genetic that wouldn't be a problem as all the men through the generations could knock 10-15 years of their age.

Thank you again for helping and your time.

Lemon

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 11 January 07 06:59 GMT (UK) »
Lemon,

The eldest child is Alfred on the 1901 census is this another census error? Otherwise this is the likeliest birth registration for him.

Births Sep 1891   
Neale  Alfred George     St. Saviour  1d 149

His birth details might help confirm the 1891 census entry address if it is the right family.

On marriage people had a tendency to improve their father's occupation and status or certainly give the best occupation he had, if later he fell on harder times (only of course if the local vicar didn't know any better). Or if this is the right family on the 1891 census Charles' occupation is an error.

Regards

Valda