Author Topic: Help with 'mystery' Bible  (Read 25594 times)

Offline Fermaniard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with 'mystery' Bible
« Reply #18 on: Monday 11 August 14 10:58 BST (UK) »
Lt Thomas Hamilton RN that you refer to is probably the father of Thomas Hamilton (died after 1887) who married Frances May Armstrong in 1858. 

Offline rlyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 11 August 14 16:40 BST (UK) »
Dear Fermaniard - Thank you of your message - Looking for the family of Lt Thomas Hamilton, RN who married Anne, daughter of John Miller, Ballintra.  Lt Thomas, I hope, is the father of Mary Hume Hamilton marrying James Tedlie.  I agree of your reply.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 11 August 14 21:45 BST (UK) »
Partial family tree-

Lt. Thomas Hamilton, R.N., m. Anne Miller, Ballintra, dau. of John Miller.
1.   Thomas Hamilton (d.aft.1887) m.(23 Feb. 1858 Collooney Church) Frances Mary Armstrong (14 Jan.1832 Derry-4 Sept.1887 Winterville, Armagh).
2.   Mary Hume Hamilton m.(19 Apr.1860 Coleraine) Lt.-Col.James Tedlie (c1802-8 Oct.1866 Buxton, Derbyshire, Eng.), son of John Tedlie.
Coleraine Chronicle, 21 Apr.1860: At Coleraine Parish Church, on the 19th inst., by the Rev. J.H. Miller, Rector of Tamlaght O’Crilly, uncle to the bride, Lieut. Co. Tedlie, late 25th Regt., to Mary Hume, youngest daughter of the late Thomas Hamilton, Esq., Royal Navy.
Probate: James Tedlie 8 Oct.1866 Londonderry, Mary Hume Tedlie.
     1.   James Hamilton Tedlie (23 Oct.1862 Ballyowen, Derry-3 Jan.1951 Hove dist., Sussex, Eng.)
     Coleraine Chronicle, 1 Nov.1862: At Ballyowen, Derry, on the 23rd ult., the wife of Lieut. Colonel Tedlie, of a son.
     1896- San Francisco, Ca. Voter Reg.: James Hamilton Tedlie, 33, b.Ire., 612 Jones.
     1898- San Francisco, Ca. Voter Reg.: James Hamilton Tedlie, 36, b.Ire., 513 Leavenworth.
     1900 Census- San Francisco, San Francisco, Ca.: lodger James Tedlie, Oct.1862, Ire., to US 1884, single, clerk R.R. In household of Charles D. Laing.
     In San Francisco directories 1896-1904.
     1951 TEDLIE James Hamilton of 15 The Drive Hove Sussex died 3 January 1951 Probate Winchester 15 February to Midland Bank Executor and Trustee Company Limited. Effects £673 12s 6d.
     2.   Thomas Hamilton Tedlie (2 Feb.1865 Eglinton, Derry dist.).
     Coleraine Chronicle, 4 Feb.1865: At Ballyowen, Derry, on the 2nd inst., the wife of Lieut. Colonel Tedlie, of a son.
     25 Feb.1911 “Lusitania” arrived N.Y. from Liverpool, Eng.: Thomas H. Tedlie, 46, b.Ballyowen Ireland, planter, married?, final destination Hong Kong, 5’10” fresh complexion red hair brown eyes.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rlyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 11 August 14 22:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Aghadowey - You have been very helpful - Regards

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 16:12 BST (UK) »
O'Byrne's Naval Biography of 1849 has an entry for Lieut.Thomas Hamilton (b. 1 Aug 1801) that shows he married Ann Miller of Rossyvolan House, Ballintree, Co Donegal on 28 Dec 1828, and that they had four sons and three daughters.

He lead quite an interesting life joining the navy as an able seaman taking part in the Napoleonic Wars and the War of 1812 with America. He subsequently served with the Coast Blockade Service where he was severely wounded in a fight with smugglers. He later transferred to the Coastguard Service and was Chief Officer at Larne CG Station in 1840.

Martin

Offline rlyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 16:32 BST (UK) »
Dear Martin - Did not all that - Very appreciated - Thank you - Richard

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 19:59 BST (UK) »
I you were looking to take Thomas Hamilton back a further generation, the National Archives hold the Lieut. Passing Certificate  for a Thomas Hamilton who passed his board in 1818 this seems a strong possibility and is in ADM 107/50 pages 398-400, and ADM 6/115 page 99, the first includes details of his birth.

Martin

Offline rlyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 03:52 BST (UK) »
Dear Martin - Thank you for the information - but - The National Archives tell me that the data is not to be digitized or printed - unfortunately London is too far from California - Take care - Richard

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 14 August 14 10:53 BST (UK) »
I didn’t see anyone mention the Ulster Directory of Doctors, so I thought I’d have a look.  I don’t think this has anything new, but you never know...

ARMSTRONG, WILLIAM (d 1860), Muff, Co Donegal, Culmore, Co Londonderry, and Collooney, Co Sligo:
Eldest son of William Armstrong, surgeon, of Sligo [?]; LRCSI 1817; MD (Edin) 1826 (thesis ‘De fibre puerperali’); LM Rot Hosp Dub; physician of Foyle Street, Londonderry c1838-40; medical officer to Muff Dispensary District and constabulary, of Culmore, county Londonderry, c1845; later medical officer to Collooney Dispensary District; married 14 November 1829in Aghavea Church of Ireland Church, county Fermanagh, Frances Haire, daughter of Hamilton Haire of Glasdrummon [where?]; died 15 August 1860 at his home in Collooney.  [BNL 20 Nov 1829 (m), 20 Jan 1832 (b), 15 Jan 1833 (b), 19 Oct 1838 (b), 20 Mar 1840 (b) and 21 Aug 1860 (d); Croly (1843-6); Edin Univ; Kirkpatrick Archive; Londonderry Sentinel 21 Nov 1829 (m); Med Dir].

I’ve a funny feeling I’ve got a tenuous link to the Hamiltons via my McCausland ancestors from Limavady.  Whatever the link is I wasn’t sure enough about it to put it in my family tree...