Author Topic: Ann Eliza DEAN b.1862 Completed many thanks to MJP  (Read 1683 times)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Ann Eliza DEAN b.1862 Completed many thanks to MJP
« on: Wednesday 10 January 07 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Please can anyone help find my gt-aunt Annie Eliza Dean?  She turned up out of the blue in the 1881 census and I can't find her before or after.  Strangely she has a much older sister also named Ann Eliza, who is on 1881 census two doors away under married name Eliza Cavanaugh.  I've found no likely birth, no likely marriages 1881-1891 (she's not the A.E. Dean who married Edward Twell in 1883).  Details I have:

1871 census:  15 Regent St, Hull
Eliza Dean  head wid 59 Sempstress  Hull
Joseph R. Dean son unm 15  Gen. Lab.   Hull
Rosina Dean dau  unm  17 Gen. Svt     Hull

1881 census:  36 Henry Squ, Myton, Hull
Eliza Dean  head  wid  70  Hull
Joseph Dean son unm 25 Gen Lab Hull
Annie Eliza Dean dau unm 19            Hull

By 1891 Eliza has died and Joseph lives alone.  I'm left wondering if she's not a daughter at all, just named as such on the census, but even so, can't find her.

Mnay thanks, Barbara   :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Eliza DEAN b.1862 Hull 1871 & 1891 census - Brick Wall!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 January 07 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ecneps,

Could she actually be the daughter of John and Eliza Cavanaugh, whose age  is unclear on the 1871?  It could be a mistake by the enumerator in 1881, putting her down as daughter instead of granddaughter to Eliza Dean, and then logically putting her surname as Dean. 

In case you don't have it:

RG10/4792/140/13
5 Henry St, Myton, Holy Trinity, Yorkshire
Ann E Cavanaugh, Head, Mar, 27, Fisherman's Wife, Hull
Charlotte Cavanaugh, Daur, 8, Scholar, Hull
Ann E Cavanaugh, Daur, ?, Scholar, Hull
James Cavanaugh, Son, 1, Hull

MJP
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 January 07 16:43 GMT (UK) »
MJP you are a star   :D  :D 
Thanks to you I've just realised I didn't have Annie Eliza Cavanaugh's details from 1881 census, she was born 1864 and I do have those details of her at home in 1871 - and then she married James Robins in October 1881. 

It does seem most likely now that she and Annie Eliza Dean are one and the same person, that she was an enumerator's mistake, and should have been grand-daughter not daughter of Eliza on the 1881 census.

Wish I'd posted this last week, could have just saved myself £7 for the wrong marriage cert that came today! 

Many thanks for spotting that.   :D  :D
Barbara

`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 January 07 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Glad to have been able to help!  :D
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)

Offline soberhill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Eliza DEAN & John CAVANAUGH (Hull, East Yorkshire)
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 December 17 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello.  Whilst searching through RootsChat, I noticed that you have an interest in the CAVANAUGH name in Hull.  It looks like we have a connection.

My wife's g-grandparents were Henry Herbert BROUGHTON (b.1868, Hunslet, Leeds) and Mary Anne CAVANAUGH (b.about 1870, Hull).   I have Mary Anne's parents recorded as John CAVANAUGH and Ann Eliza DEAN.  This appears to be the same couple as you mention in your post. John & Ann Eliza would be my wife's gg-grandparents.

In the 1881 census, I have them recorded as:-
1881 - 34 Henry's Square, Lower Union Street, Hull, Yorkshire 
        John CAVANAUGH       Head  M 39  Fisherman          Hull, Yorkshire
        Eliza CAVANAUGH       Wife  M  37                           Hull, Yorkshire
        Mary A.CAVANAUGH    Dau        8                           Hull, Yorkshire
        John CAVANAUGH       Son         3                           Hull, Yorkshire
        Joseph CAVANAUGH    Son         2                           Hull, Yorkshire

If you let me know your email address, I will send you all the information I have available, including photographs of Mary Anne and her husband.