Author Topic: The Callaghans or the Bradys  (Read 3326 times)

Offline mahees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
The Callaghans or the Bradys
« on: Wednesday 10 January 07 16:35 GMT (UK) »
I have several ancestors from Roscommon; Patrick Callaghan, also recorded as Callighan and Calaghan on different occasions; he was born around 1826 and was in England by 1853, when he had a child born in Stockport. His wife Bridget was also from Roscommon, born c1829 but I don't know whether they married in Ireland before they came over, or in England. I don't even know if they went to Stockport first, but they eventually ended up in Leeds. Another ancester, Ann Brady was born in Roscommon c1831, and she married in Leeds in 1850. These are all G-G-G Grandparents of mine, and it would be interesting to know if anyone has any more information on them. I'm afraid this is pretty much all I know about their lives before they came to Leeds.
Thanks
Erin

Offline jackieblan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Callaghans
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 September 07 02:28 BST (UK) »
My Roscommon Callaghans came out of the western part of the county, not far from the Mayo border.  Frenchpark, Fairymount and Ballaghadereen are larger towns in the area.  Patrick and Bridget are such common names, I don't envy you your search.  Common male names among my Callaghans back then and down through the 1800's were Patrick, John, TCormack, Thaddy (for Thaddeus, a/k/a Timothy), Andrew, Martin, James and Dominck.  As was common all over Ireland at the time you mention, many of them left for England during the famine and beyond. Some of them ended up in Leeds, but I can't tell you any more than that about who, when, etc.  Look at naming patterns of children down a couple of generations and if you have a pattern match to the above namesit may be an area in Roscommon County for you to look at. 

Jackie (I live in Wash. D.C. area of US)

Offline mahees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: The Callaghans or the Bradys
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 September 07 12:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie,

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Since I posted this in January I have been able to get a bit further with my Callaghans. I have now found out that Patrick's parents were called Francis and Mary, and the siblings that I know of were Betty, Bridget and Paul. Patrick's sons were named Francis and John.

How have you been able to find out so much about your family's life before they left Ireland? I would love to be able to go further back 1851, which is the first time I can find any of them.

Thanks for your message

Regards
Erin  :)

Offline jackieblan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 September 07 17:27 BST (UK) »
I had the townland name in Roscommon where my ancestors came from and was able to proceed from there.  I've also found that searching for other family members can bear fruit as well.  You might try this with your Francis or Paul.  Betty was probably an Elizabeth.  There's a site called www.GenesReunited.com that has a lot of English researchers looking for Irish roots.  It requires an relatively small fee.  You might check that out.

Jackie

Offline sharon hattle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 December 07 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Erin
        I have a descendant Francis Callaghan (found it spelt loads of different ways). He married a Mary Hagan and came to live in  Middlesbrough any connection ? I am afraid I have no other info on all of the  Census s he put origins Ireland I think he came over in the 1850 s Middlesbrough is in the North East of England I think it is a about 1hr 30min drive away. Sharon