Author Topic: 1841 - 1871 Censuses Staffordshire - Benjamin Finney  (Read 11531 times)

Offline rogerofgoostrey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1841 - 1871 Censuses Staffordshire - Benjamin Finney
« on: Friday 19 November 04 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I am looking to trace my great grandfather Benjamin Finney in the censuses for Staffordshire from 1841 -1871 inclusive.  Benjamin was born in the village of Ellastone in 1827, he married his wife Fanny (born 1835) at Uttoxeter 11 March 1861, he then moved to the Aton area where he farmed and eventually ran the pub The Green Man at Upper Cotton, near Cauldon.  Benjamin and Fanny had a lot of children with births as follows:

Thomas 1862
Ellen 1865
William 1867
James Critchlow 1869 (died young)
Benjamin 1872
Fanny 1875
George 1878
James  1879
Ann Elizabeth (my grandma) 1880

Any information regarding sightings of Benjamin in the Censuses would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Roger
Thorpe (East Sussex), Wenham (East Sussex) Willett (East Sussex and Kent) Ades (East Sussex) Rushton (Staffordshire Moorlands) Finney (Staffordshire Moorlands) Wheeldon (Staffordshire Moorlands) Critchlow (Staffordshire Moorlands)

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 - 1871 Censuses Staffordshire - Benjamin Finney
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 November 04 14:13 GMT (UK) »
1871 census

Sarah Alcock 14  Cauldon, Staffordshire, England Servant  Cotton  Staffordshire   
Benjamin Finney 45  Ellastone, Staffordshire, England Head  Cotton  Staffordshire   
Ellen Finney 6  Alton, Staffordshire, England Daughter  Cotton  Staffordshire   
Fanney Finney 36  Sturston, Derbyshire, England Wife  Cotton  Staffordshire   
James Critchlow Finney 1  Alton, Staffordshire, England Son  Cotton  Staffordshire   
Thomas Finney 8  Alton, Staffordshire, England Son  Cotton  Staffordshire   
William Finney 4  Alton, Staffordshire, England Son  Cotton  Staffordshire   
  do you want the image?

RG10/2886 Folio 49 Page 6

ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DMP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 November 04 16:57 GMT (UK) »
tried the 1851 name and place index for the 1851 Staffordshire for ellastone and its not in the index it say's see 10107/2146 sorry don't know if you have seen this but there is a site that has wills for finney in stafffordshire 1858-1900 and your Benjamin is on as publican and farmer died 28 nov 1892 widow fanny hope this helps ;D
Butler/Willenhall/Smethwick/bromsgrove Briton/oldbury Doughty/Homer/Reynolds/Whitehouse/tipton Greenaway/gornal Phillips/,bala Toon/burton Selwood/tipton/worcester skidmore/hill top Wedgbury/worcester Wheatley/west Bromwich  Wooldridge/oldswinford  Worton/cradley Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rogerofgoostrey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 November 04 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ruth that was brilliant.

Take care

Roger
Thorpe (East Sussex), Wenham (East Sussex) Willett (East Sussex and Kent) Ades (East Sussex) Rushton (Staffordshire Moorlands) Finney (Staffordshire Moorlands) Wheeldon (Staffordshire Moorlands) Critchlow (Staffordshire Moorlands)

Offline rogerofgoostrey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 November 04 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Megabelly

Yes I have seen the reference to Benjamin's will.

Thanks for looking for him in the 1851 census.  It's strange that Ellastone is not there because it's quite a large village with a big church.  The next village is Wooton, is that recorded.  Of course Benjamin may not be in Ellastone.

Kind Regards

Roger

Offline DMP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 November 04 23:42 GMT (UK) »
try asking in derbyshire as its a boarder town and not in staffs in 1851 sorry not got any derbyshire myself but in the index its says see 2146 hope you find it ;D
Butler/Willenhall/Smethwick/bromsgrove Briton/oldbury Doughty/Homer/Reynolds/Whitehouse/tipton Greenaway/gornal Phillips/,bala Toon/burton Selwood/tipton/worcester skidmore/hill top Wedgbury/worcester Wheatley/west Bromwich  Wooldridge/oldswinford  Worton/cradley Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rogerofgoostrey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 November 04 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Megabelly

Will try Derbyshire if any one has a 1851 or 1861 census.

Thanks for your help

Roger

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 November 04 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi have found several Benjamins on the 1841 census so I had a look for a birth/chr date to help narrow it down and found 2 for around the birth year you gave.

Benjamin Finney chr 15 Jul 1827  Alton  parents Benjamin and Ann
Benjamin Finney chr  4 May 1828 Ellastone   parents William and Maria.

This was from the Finney uk page on Rootsweb you should check it out

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~finney/igi/finney-igi-b.htm

Here are the Benjamins I found on the census

Benjamin Finney    55   Farmer
Ann          Finney   50   
Benjamin     "         14
Anne            "          7
Hannah        "         5

Living the Dale, Wootton, Staffordshire

William Finney   40  Shoe maker
Maria   Finney    37
John     Finney   10
Thomas     "        7
William      "        5
Samuel      "        1
Charles     "       21    Shop........
William Deakin  20     Shoe maker apprentice

Living in Wootton.

I am more inclined to think he is the son of Ben and Anne??

There were no other Benjamins of this age the rest were 25,25, and 30.

Can't find Fanny for you though I tried Ipstone and there are quite a few Critchlows but no Fanny's. I don't have the Derbyshire census so she could be in Sturston.
I did check around Ellastone in case that she might have been there but the only Critchlows I could find was a Thomas Critchlow age 70 with his wife age 75. Thomas was a farmer and not from Staffordshire so could be grandparents of Fanny moved from Derbyshire to Upper Cotton (This is where they are on the census) and could be a connection to how Fanny and Benjamin met???? This is just fanciful thinking don't take it too seriously.

Hope this helps some bit. All the best Anjo

Offline rogerofgoostrey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 November 04 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anjo

What a star you are!!!

Benjamin's parents are definitely Benjamin and Ann.  So I now have a couple of sisters for Benjamin junior.

Do you have the 1851 census for this family?

Fanny seems rather elusive.  Her father's name is James but there is no Jamers Critchlow in the parish records for Ipstones. I will now have to look for parish records for Sturston.

Thank you for taking the time to help me.

Take care

Roger