Author Topic: 1841 Birkenhead census lookup please  (Read 4532 times)

Offline penshurst

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Birkenhead census lookup please
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 April 09 22:45 BST (UK) »
 :)

Thanks for that information.
   I will follow it up.
WARWICKSHIRE-Coventry/Southam --Lucas Fearn Treadwell Newberry Atkins
LANCASHIRE-Liverpool --Isaacs Melling Campbell Galt Bickerton Reece
SCOTLAND-Dumfries--Todd McKeand Galt
IRELAND-Caldwell Quinn Healey Tweedie Tierney Brient
SOMERSET-Montacute --Bool Wickden?
LEICESTERSHIRE-Asby Folville/Waltham on the Wold--Porter Harding
BUCKINGHAMSHIRE-Marlow/White Lomax East
DEVON-Chumleigh--Amery
SHROPSHIRE-Oswestry-- Bickerton
CORNWALL-St Anthony in Meneage--Gross Bou/wcher
HAMPSHIRE-Rowe

Offline -jajo-

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi, I just came accross this while trying to work out where 'Elbamett' was. How are you related to Ann Bickerton and James Galt? They are my Great x4 Grandparents, but the Scotishness of James is proving something of a problem to my research.

Offline penshurst

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 21:36 BST (UK) »
Well, it's a bit of a surprise hearing from a GALT connection -  this is a first - it's been a few years since I've had anything to do with any sort of research for the GALT line - everything came to dead ends.

On the 1841 census there is son William 22 unmarried and a joiner.  He went to Australia - how or why I don't really know as yet, and that is my gg.g/father.

I would love to hear your story and exchange the story of the GALT family to the present day - or as much as we know.

Joy
WARWICKSHIRE-Coventry/Southam --Lucas Fearn Treadwell Newberry Atkins
LANCASHIRE-Liverpool --Isaacs Melling Campbell Galt Bickerton Reece
SCOTLAND-Dumfries--Todd McKeand Galt
IRELAND-Caldwell Quinn Healey Tweedie Tierney Brient
SOMERSET-Montacute --Bool Wickden?
LEICESTERSHIRE-Asby Folville/Waltham on the Wold--Porter Harding
BUCKINGHAMSHIRE-Marlow/White Lomax East
DEVON-Chumleigh--Amery
SHROPSHIRE-Oswestry-- Bickerton
CORNWALL-St Anthony in Meneage--Gross Bou/wcher
HAMPSHIRE-Rowe

Offline -jajo-

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 October 09 00:41 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks for the lighting quick response :)

My Knowledge of the Galt family is restricted to the family started by James Galt (b. Scotland, c1807) and Ann Bickerton  (b. Shropshire, c1810) mentioned in this post. As you already know from the posts on here they were married in Liverpool on 5th Sept 1836 and as far as I can tell they had 8 children.

The first one I know of is Walter Galt (b. 1834) who after 1861 I have lost track off, but was training to be a joiner.

The next was Sarah Galt (b. 1837) she is my direct ancestor, who I will come back to in a min.

Then they had William Galt (b. Dec 1838) I have traced him to the 1861 census as well and then he moved out and I have lost him at the moment.

Then unfortunately the couple had three children died one after another as infants James Galt (1840–1843), Ann Galt (1841-1841) Elizabeth Galt (1842–1842).

After that they had a child who lived past infancy. However Emma Galt (b. Sept 1844) only lived to  21 and died in 1866.

Their final child was called James Bickerton Galt (b. June 1848). He seems to have lived a long life and married Annie Parry (1847–1896 ) on 1st July 1875. They had at least 2 children, though I am almost certain they had more I have not got access to the census at the moment, so I cannot check.

Returning to Sarah (my ancestor) she married a Scottish man called Robert Rae Bell (1837–1895) in 1861. CheshireBMD.org.uk lists it as a civil wedding so I would assume that means Robert was a member of the Kirk and did not want to marry in the established English church. Robert had a rather varied career ranging from a Ships Steward to a Dealer in Earthenware. Sarah lived to a very old age of at least 73, as she is found living with her daughter Agnes in the 1911 census.

They had 5 children William Henry (b. 1867) Mary (b. 1869) Maggie (1871–1958) Agnes Bickerton (b. 1875)  and Robert James (b. 1877). Of those I know that Maggie (my ancestor) Agnes Bickerton and Robert James were married.

Robert James married Alice Letitia Williams (b. 1879) on 22 Sep 1907. Robert was a plumber, though on the 1911 census he is listed as 'Attendant Showroom (Boro Council)'. They had two children Thomas Eric Bell and William James Bell (b. 1907) who appear to be twins.

Agnes Bickerton married a shop assistant called Frank Edward Glover (b. 1871) in a civil wedding in 1903. They had one child that I know off called Edward Bickerton Glover (b. 1907)

Maggie married into the part of my family tree I have the most information on. She married Thomas Wilkinson Catherock Daintree (1866–1954) in 1898. Thomas was a toll collector on the ferry that links Liverpool, Wales and The Wirral. They had three Children Agnes Sarah Daintree (1899-1918 ),  Robert James Catherock Daintree (1901–1986),  Edward Noel Catherock Daintree (1902–1931).

Both Robert and Edward married and had children. In Edward's case he had only one child I know off and that was my grandmother, if you would like I can PM you the rest of my more recent family history. (I would have PM'ed this, but this forum has an annoying rule that I need 3 posts to use the PM function).

I make fairly regular trips to the National Library of Wales so I will have a look at these records some more when I next visit.

Offline granny85

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 19 March 16 12:32 GMT (UK) »
I have the original Marriage Certificate of Robert Rae Bell and Sarah Galt ( 29 May 1861)!!!They were married in St Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Conway St, Birkenhead.

Having read your post, I now realise why I have it!

Agnes Bickerton married a Glover, and my late Father's mum (my Granny) was a Glover (Frances Ethel) who married my Grandad, Frederick Earnest Everett. Their son, Lester hearn, was my Dad. He died in 2008, aged 95.