Author Topic: Re: RC Glasgow Meet 13th-14th October 2007 - P & O  (Read 30915 times)

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: RC Meets - any feedback from previous events and Scottish helpers,please
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 January 07 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Having "milestones" in the day is good.  So if some can only make the evening then book a table for a dinner somewhere and post details here.

If we can arrange a tour of one of the archives or something else related to FH again specify a time so if anyone wants to join that then they can.  

I'm happy to help organise and late summer/autumn should be ok for attending (I will know next week if I am taking exams in November - fingers crossed I'm not).

I'll be in Glasgow regularly from the end of Jan to May in classes so happy to check anything out for timetabling.

Best to get the ball rolling by brainstorming some ideas on a "What could we do thread" or here  :)

eg The Tenement House...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/scottishhistory/victorian/trails_victorian_glasgow.shtml

Pride of the Clyde
http://www.clydewaterbusservices.co.uk/gallery.html

Tall Ship
http://www.glenlee.co.uk/

We could contact these people and see if we could arange a talk?
http://www.oldglasgowclub.org.uk/PAGE2.HTM

P :)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 January 07 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Great stuff, Pam, especially the offer to help  :-*

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 12 January 07 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Yep - super  ;D

If you can let us know your no-no days in Sept/Oct, Pam, when you get them, we can then focus in.

You might have noticed that I'm in Glasgow next week so will be doing a bit of a rekkie. I'll see if I can find some eateries and work from there.

Lots of ideas coming in - we might have to decide what to leave out  ;)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 January 07 22:52 GMT (UK) »
the more the merrier..!!
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 January 07 22:58 GMT (UK) »
The old Glasgow Club that Pam mentions looks a real possibility. I think it's worth making contact with them as soon as poss. They not only have experts who might give a talk but also do guided walks.

Gadget

PS and the riverbus - I've heard good reports on that and planned to go last year but didn't make it. Anyone been on it?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • does my butt look big in this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 January 07 23:55 GMT (UK) »
If you want a different eating place on Saturday night there is a mongolian resturant in Candlewicks...... Can't think of the name just now but they cook the food you choose in front of you .... I think it maybe called the Kubla Khan???

Cal  8)
UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk                Bigg-Sheppey/West Ham<br />Dodd - Cheshire <br />Ingram - Dorset, London, Morlaix, Australia, California<br />Kerfoot - Warrington, Pemberton, St Asaph<br />McKinneley - N Ireland, Liverpool <br />Marshall - Midlothian, Cheshire<br />Morrish-Chelsea<br />Shiel - Melrose<br />Woodhall- Liverpool, Shropshire/Staffordshire<br />Dagliesh- Melrose<br />Stevenson - Melrose<br />Smith & Jones! Scotland & Wales

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: RC Meets - any feedback and helpers for Scottish 2007 meet, please
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 13 January 07 15:21 GMT (UK) »
I've had a think and a trawl of possible meeting up places - reasonably central but with something interesting to look at while waiting for everyone to arrive and with refreshment facilities.

The best that I can come up with is The Peoples Palace and Winter Gardens on Glasgow Green.

It's dedicated to the social history  :) of Glasgow and, I think, a must at some point anyway:

http://www.glasgowmuseums.com/venue/index.cfm?venueid=9

It's slightly out of the very main centre but still within walking distance - something to check out.

Gadget

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 13 January 07 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Sounds good to me  :)...although my mum lives in Glasgow, I never have and so don't really know much about the city. As a meeting place it also has the added bonus of parking for those travelling by car and there are plenty of buses to it from the centre of town.

Elaine
Mitchell, Turner, Henderson, Archibald, Smith, Walker, Burgess, Alexander, Margetts, Joss - Aberdeenshire
Proctor, Morrison, Henderson, Burgess, McWilliam, Green, Grant, Young, Dey, Allan - Banffshire
Proctor, Logie, Grant - Moray
McRae - Ross & Cromarty and Invernesshire
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Paul E

« Reply #17 on: Sunday 14 January 07 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Trys and Sarah's idea (or whoever's it was!) for meeting at the station bar at Victoria Station for the Madchester meet was a good one - easy to travel into, and plenty big for a crowd of RCers - pretty much otherwise empty at 10.30am.   The lunch venue was well-chosen, too: not too expensive!!!
The Cathedral Archives talk was inspired!  Any hidden archives in Glasgow we should know about?

These peeps look interesting ... http://www.gwsfhs.org.uk/content/gcaprojects.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Happy to help in whatever way I can - I could DTP a programme then save it as a pdf for you, when finalised.

Paul