Author Topic: ALBONE - Biggleswade  (Read 24542 times)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ALBONE - Biggleswade
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Not too hot at this attaching business. Let's see how it turns out!

Well I can read it, just about. Hope it works for you. If not send me a PM with your email and I'll attach it. Can't work out how to attach it so it appears under the message rather than as an attachment!

I've got loads on the Legates in Henlow - let me know if you need anything. Who's your Legate connection? I've got a couple of Dears, much the same as the Albons, but no direct line.

My Coopers were the opposite of yuppies - they stayed in Henlow and adjoining Arlesey from 1450 onwards. The only upwardly mobile ones went to the US on the Mayflower, hence American interest in the family

David

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 16:28 GMT (UK) »
HI David,
That image was fine, thanks - very clear. Strange how the ones on ancestry are so bad in comparison; and the ones on findmypast are totally impossible to read (which surprised me as they usually get compliments on rootschat for clear images).
The lady from the Leggate line is Louisa Legate, daughter of James and Mary Ann (Henlow). She went into service at Edmonton, but got into the family way, came back to Henlow and then married Frederick Dear. It might have been Frederick Dear who had the grocery store, but I can't remember without looking through the details - I have a photo somewhere of the shop.
Connie, my dear mum-in-law, wondered if her mystery grandfather might have been the lord of the manor - Louisa was a cook. She asked me to look into it, but Louisa as far as I could see was one of many who went to Middlesex to work in domestic service in a middle class household. We even sent away for the head of the household's will to see if there was any mention of a child - Connie thought the head of the household must have had his "evil way" with her. I'm not so sure - the gentleman had a fifteen year old son, and of course perhaps Frederick might have been the child's father, who could not marry her at that time. We shall never know.
She grew up as part of the Dear household; a very close and loving household.
Amazing how close and inter-related all the families are, David.
The sad thing is that Connie's mum, who was a nurse, never got over being born illegitimate - it was something she hid all the days of her life, and felt ashamed of. I never her met her; but she was, I believe, a very gentle and loving lady.
Bye for now.
Paulene :)

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 16:36 GMT (UK) »
You're right, David, it is strange how Epraim is with another family on the 1841 census - might have been working with the farmer, but might not have liked the new mum-in-law.
Some bell is ringing that it might be Ephraim that I spotted something about being "disorderly" - I haven't looked at this line for a couple of years. If I do find it, I'll let you know, David.
That might explain why he was there! :o ;D

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paulene

I have Louisa in my tree, born c1875, daughter of James and Mary Ann (Mays). Her gg grandmother, who married John Legate, was Rachel Albon born 1730, baptised in Jan 1752 age 22 at Clifton, but unfortunately no parents are mentioned. Must have a look a bit deeper into her!

David

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,
I think it's the same Louisa, David - on the 1901 census she is working as a cook for the managing director of the cement works in Arlesey. The following year she marries Frederick George Dear:
Jun qtr 1902  Biggleswade 3b 677
Alice is with her grandparents, James and Mary Ann, on the 1901 census.
Small world, isn't it! :D
Must find that photograph.
Take care - hope you're having nice weather in France.

Offline Dawn King

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 02 April 09 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Paulene,
                   Just recently I began to trace my husband's side the King's who came from Arlesey, Bedford. There are a few King's who married Albon/Albone's and other names that have been mentioned in various postings to you. I can give you a contact a cousin to my husband who has done a huge amount of research, and confirmation to back up his findings. Please contact me for details.

Cheers,

Dawn King

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 03 April 09 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn,
What a surprise :D
It's good to see you on rootschat - I hope you enjoy the site as much as I do. Have a good explore - not only tips and help with family history, but beautiful restoration son the Photographs board, too.
That's a wonderful offer (one I'm sure David might be interested in, too). I will send you a pm a bit later today - it's my son's eighteenth tomorrow so I have visitors coming today, and won't get on the computer very much.
If you have any ancestors in Notts that is my specialty area, so feel free to ask with regard to resources, books, etc.
Thank you so much for getting in touch, Dawn.
Kind regards,

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 04 April 09 09:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn

Welcome to Rootschat

My only direct line Kings are Henry I and Henry II, and they weren't from Arlesey, which is where my Cooper and quite a few other ancestors were from!

I've done a lot of research on my Arlesey names, and will happily share the results with you.

I'll send you a PM

David

Later. I've just found that until you've made 3 postings I can't send you any personal messages. So this is what I intended sending you

Hi Dawn

I've been looking a bit closer at my Kings, and find I do have a couple from Arlesey, but they're very peripheral, and I haven't done any work on them. Likewise I have a few Albons but they too have married into my names, and I don't think any are direct line.

My main Arlesey names are Cooper, Topham, and Young. Let me know if any of these are connected to your names.

My email is (*) (substitute @ for at)

Kind regards

David

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 06 April 09 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn,
Until David pointed it out, I didn't realise about not being able to pm until you had posted 3 times.
Hope to hear from you again on the thread.