Author Topic: Census-Bishop  (Read 7157 times)

Online Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Census-Bishop
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 16 January 07 07:47 GMT (UK) »
Mary Newick possibly daughter of Thomas Newick and Sarah, as there are IGI entries for other Newicks at Etchingham. Possible siblings Thomas, Henry, Jane, William, Sarah, Anne, and most married at Etchingham or Ticehurst in 1840s.

1851 census has Joseph and Philadelphia at Etchingham, but gives his birthplace as Surrey, not known. Her birthplace as Sandhurst, Kent.

1841 has Joseph and Philadelphia at Hurst Green, Etchingham, neither born in county. Daughter Hannah aged 20 was born in county.

Philadelphia could have been a widow as well when she married Joseph. It would be worth getting the parish films from the FHC when they open again and checking the source, for Salehurst and Etchingham.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 16 January 07 08:34 GMT (UK) »
1841 at Barden Etchingham

Thomas Newick 50 Ag Lab
Sarah Newick 45
Mary Newick 20
Jane Newick 15
William Newick 15
Ann Newick 13
Henry Newick 11

All born in county. Ages tie in with those on IGI.

Sarah Newick possibly born Sarah KEMP. Only entry in 1851 for Sarah Newick in age group is with two Kemp brothers William and Richard, at Sedlescombe as their sister. Same in 1861 and 1871. In 1841 William and Richard at Beech Cottages, Sedlescombe with their widowed mother Mercy. No Thomas Newick in 1851.

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 2x Gt Grandmother, Catherine M Turner
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 16 January 07 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian

Thank you for all that info. The Newick family seems to be good. Yet i am not to trusting of the submitted entry for Philadelphia married to Joseph Bishop as Jane (other postings) has tried to sort that one out and Philadelphia had married a Joseph yet not a Bishop, by memory i think she married another fella too. It was in another board. So i think that submitted entry may be wrong. If i get a cert it should suss that one out. It all seems to fit so perfectly though doesn't it.  The fact that Edward fits in too tends to make me lean towards this info too.
O well, have recorded all this info and will put it aside for when i have some certs, will definitely let you know if you are right!

Thank you very much
Cat.
Bishop:  Sussex, New Zealand<br />Henwood:  England<br />Harris: London; Smith, Leicestershire <br />Chandler: Sussex<br />Truelove: Surrey, New Zealand<br />Blackburn: Lancashire<br />Carlton: Australia, NZ, Bristol, Ireland <br />Foster:NZ, Queensland, Yorkshire,<br />Marshall: Yorkshire, Lancashire <br />Cannon:Ireland to NZ<br />Turner:England<br />Farquharson: Scotland, Australia<br />Durward: Scotland<br <br />Johnston: Australia, Cumberland, Dumfries <br />Gearon: Ireland,NZ

Online Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 16 January 07 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Newick son of Henry Newick and Susannah Barham, born c 1790. Henry and Susannah married at Etchingham, 5 Oct 1779.

Thomas Newick married Sarah Kemp 16 April 1816 at Sedlescombe. She was daughter of George Kemp and Mercy. She died 1878 Etchingham.

Thomas Newick died 1844, buried Etchingham 31 Oct 1844.

Mary Bishop nee Newick married William Gallop 22 Nov 1862 Ticehurst. She died 1881.

Came from Eve Finch Tree

1862 Dec qtr Ticehurst 2b 166 Mary Bishopp married William Gallop

1871 census
William Gallup 54 AgLab born Ticehurst
Mary Gallup 52 born Etchingham

1881 Mar qtr Mary Gallop death aged 61 Ticehurst 2b 63

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 16 January 07 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cat,
Looking through all these red herrings, one thing that's a bit troublesome is the fact that amongst all the member submitted dross on the IGI there is an EXTRACTED marriage for Joseph Bishop to PHILIS WILLARD 20/5/1811 at Ewhurst, East Sussex but it doesn't show on the Sussex Marriage Index (SMI) which I find very odd  :-\
I did spot this as I was trawling through.  Could be yet another red herring but keep it just in case  :)

Hawkhurst, Kent,   12 Aug 1811:
 Philadelphia BISHOP, otp
 Samuel RUSSELL, Salehurst
 Witness wits: Thomas BISHOP; Duke BROOK

jane

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 16 January 07 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian and Jane

Wow this is very overwhelming, if you were me what would your way be to get around it all? (bearing in mind i live in NZ). I have only been researching my family for not even a month, so am very new to it all! Had no idea in fact that i could achieve  what little i do know. lol.  I have just learnt that i cannot get birth certs for pre 1837 so i'm gutted as that could have proven Josephs parents!
Cat
Bishop:  Sussex, New Zealand<br />Henwood:  England<br />Harris: London; Smith, Leicestershire <br />Chandler: Sussex<br />Truelove: Surrey, New Zealand<br />Blackburn: Lancashire<br />Carlton: Australia, NZ, Bristol, Ireland <br />Foster:NZ, Queensland, Yorkshire,<br />Marshall: Yorkshire, Lancashire <br />Cannon:Ireland to NZ<br />Turner:England<br />Farquharson: Scotland, Australia<br />Durward: Scotland<br <br />Johnston: Australia, Cumberland, Dumfries <br />Gearon: Ireland,NZ

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 17 January 07 08:21 GMT (UK) »
:) You're doing very well Cat for one whose just starting out  ;)
I think it's time to re-cap.
If you've proved conclusively all the information before this date;

Q.   You're looking for confirmation & parents of Joseph Bishop, allegedly  born/baptised ETCHINGHAM Ssx 1822?
A.  One EXTRACTED IGI record for Joseph Bishop, 30 June 1822, Etchingham s/o Joseph & Philly Bishop.
Problem.  One EXTRACTED marriage on IGI between Joseph Bishop & Philis Willard, 20/5/1811, Ewhurst, Ssx, NOT shown on SMI.
Course of action:  As the name is fairly common I would get the marriage certificate of Joseph (1822) this will give his age, occupation & father's name.  Without this confirmation you could be running around all over the place!

There are some people researching the Bishop name on the Sussex Family History Group  http://www.sfhg.org.uk/ext/ES8.HTM  you could try contacting a few of them.

Rootschat has a very good beginners page with many great links  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,290.0.html

Pre July 1 1837, when Civil registration came into being, you have to rely on parish registers & any other documentation you can find, this is where it gets really interesting  ;)

jane

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 17 January 07 21:32 GMT (UK) »
hi jane

thanks, haha this is pretty addictive, alot of time dedicated in a month! i had a 2 week free trial with ancestery uk, so that helped alot, yet only really for the census's. so i didn't carry through with the subscription. very expensive.

It seems pretty difficult now i'm up to pre 1837, i'm researching 3 family lines that are up to this now, the other 3 direct lines i have not had as much luck with. Then of course maiden names etc, never ending isn't it? a lot of fun though.

I'm a bit tight when it comes to certs yet this Bishop line is one of my most important lines so i'll do as much as i can to have everything right, so i am definitly going to get that marriage cert once my membership with NZ society is sorted. i am a very impatient person so i'm feeling agitated that i can't have it right now! lol.

Will let you know when i get it so that we can finally figure this all out! :D

Thanks
cat

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 18 January 07 07:08 GMT (UK) »
Cat, there is another line of pusuit that you might like to consider.  See if there is an LDS centre near you (go to the Familysearch web site to find a list of their world - wide centres) & see if you can order the film (ref nos. are on the bottom of the entry) for that marriage in Ewhurst in 1811.  It's very troublesome that it's not on the SMI.
You could also see if they have Etchingham parish registers on film, that way you could check for Joseph's baptism & confirm at least his father.

jane

Sorry, this got posted twice due to gremlins  ;)