Author Topic: Census-Bishop  (Read 7134 times)

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Re: Census-Bishop
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 January 07 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cat,
1861 - Northbridge? St. Salehurst  RG9/571/40/4

Mary Bishop  head  wid  42  b. Etchingham
Thomas G. Bishop  son  17  ag lab

Two death registration for Joseph Bishop,
Q3  1853  Ticehurst  (2b 42)

Q1  1860  Ticehurst  (2 b 55)

Can't find Thomas or Mary in 1871  :(

jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 2x Gt Grandmother, Catherine M Turner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 January 07 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane

Yea its a bit of a mystery to his where abouts in 1871, I found 1 possibilty yet can't be 100% sure, and that was a census for the Royal Navy in Bombay Harbour. Not sure as his birth is recorded as 1844, Brighton, and its a little different to a agriculture labourer. He is classed as a leading seaman. not sure but maybe possible.

thanks
Cat

Bishop:  Sussex, New Zealand<br />Henwood:  England<br />Harris: London; Smith, Leicestershire <br />Chandler: Sussex<br />Truelove: Surrey, New Zealand<br />Blackburn: Lancashire<br />Carlton: Australia, NZ, Bristol, Ireland <br />Foster:NZ, Queensland, Yorkshire,<br />Marshall: Yorkshire, Lancashire <br />Cannon:Ireland to NZ<br />Turner:England<br />Farquharson: Scotland, Australia<br />Durward: Scotland<br <br />Johnston: Australia, Cumberland, Dumfries <br />Gearon: Ireland,NZ

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 January 07 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I saw that one too but the dob didn't fit.  If you get his marriage certificate it will give his occupation & being only a few months before his marriage might confirm or otherwise.
I suppose you could look on the National Archives site to see if there is a seaman's record in his name...worth a try!

jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 January 07 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane
 Yes i think your right it would solve it getting a marriage cert. I have been trying to avoid getting certs as i am 24 y/o and on a tight budget! Am i able to order british certs from New Zealand? i haven't really looked into it, pounds to NZ $ is a ridiculous cost! Yet i do realise to take on your family history it isn't cheap!

Thanks alot for the help  :)
Cat
Bishop:  Sussex, New Zealand<br />Henwood:  England<br />Harris: London; Smith, Leicestershire <br />Chandler: Sussex<br />Truelove: Surrey, New Zealand<br />Blackburn: Lancashire<br />Carlton: Australia, NZ, Bristol, Ireland <br />Foster:NZ, Queensland, Yorkshire,<br />Marshall: Yorkshire, Lancashire <br />Cannon:Ireland to NZ<br />Turner:England<br />Farquharson: Scotland, Australia<br />Durward: Scotland<br <br />Johnston: Australia, Cumberland, Dumfries <br />Gearon: Ireland,NZ

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 January 07 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane

Could you advise me on the best ways to pursue researching before 1837. I would like to learn more about Benjamin Bishop and his wife Isabella.  I have a few lines that have just got to the pre 1837 generation and have been stumped as to where to go from here. Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Cat.

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 16 January 07 02:25 GMT (UK) »
Cat

If you are a member of the NZ Society of Genealogists you can obtain English certs through them. Check out their website for the costs. $23 each from memory, with reference.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 January 07 02:33 GMT (UK) »
hi Ian

Thanks, ;D had no idea about that site being new to all of this! have just had a look and looks very reasonable! now i just need to get my printer up and running to print a app form!! ::)

Thanks
Cat

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 16 January 07 07:10 GMT (UK) »
Cat

Some info I found.

Joseph Bishop married Mary Newick at Etchingham, 21 Aug 1843, he was 21 she was 24. His father Joseph Bishop, her father Thomas Newick. Extracted entry on IGI.

Thomas George Bishop baptised Etchingham, 28 April 1844, parents Joseph and Mary. Only one on the IGI.

Submitted entry Joseph born Etchingham 30 Jun 1822, parents Joseph Bishop and Philadelphia Willard. Also has a burial date for this Joseph of 9 Jan 1860. An extracted entry has Joseph baptised 30 Jun 1822, parents Joseph Bishop and Philly. Another extracted entry, Hannah bapt 7 Feb 1819 at Etchingham. Quite a few submitted entries with parents as Joseph and Philadelphia.

Banns for Joseph Bishop and Philadelphia Willard at Salehurst, 21 April 1811. She was from Hawkhurst. Has a burial date for her of Sep 1859 at Etchingham.

Philadelphia was his second wife. There is a submitted marriage entry for a Joseph to Sarah Collins at Etchingham 28 Oct 1803. There is a burial at Etchingham 21 Apr 1810 for Sarah. Joseph was son of John Bishop and Ann Bean, born c1781 at Etchingham. Burial date also for Joseph 21 Sep 1853 at Etchingham. Three children on IGI to Joseph and Sarah. Quite a few children for John and Ann also.

John married Ann Bean 12 Dec 1782 at Salehurst. Burial date for John at Salehurst 10 Mar 1803. John's parents Henry Bishop and Ann Marshall

There is an Edward on the IGI born 1794 at Salehurst, parents James Bishop and Mary Mudge. This James was a son of above Henry and Ann, so Edward the lodger was related.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 16 January 07 07:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian

Thanks for that, thats the trail i followed to begin with yet there was a problem with the marriage between joseph and Philadelphia. So i'm not so confident on it.  But it does explain Edward doesn't it. hmm i'm unsure now of where to go  ??? i've got my mother to print off that app form for NZ Society and will try to get that sorted asap and will get certs as this is bugging me now!
Hopefully i will get NZ Society sorted soon and will post my hopeful success!

Thank you
Cat