Author Topic: Census-Bishop  (Read 7134 times)

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 2x Gt Grandmother, Catherine M Turner
    • View Profile
Census-Bishop
« on: Friday 12 January 07 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Is there anyone out there who can find a 1871 Census for a Thomas Bishop? He seems to have 2 different birth years on the 1901 and 1881 Census's, one says 1844, the other 1840. I think i found him again in 1861 living with his mother Mary Bishop. And an unexplainable Edward Bishop who is a lodger, thought it may be related in some way yet have traced back further and can't find any link. Thomas was born in Ticehurst, Sussex.

In 1901 and 1881 he is living with his wife Elizabeth, and 4 kids (1881) then 3 kids & grandchild (1901)  If anyone can help i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
cat.
Bishop:  Sussex, New Zealand<br />Henwood:  England<br />Harris: London; Smith, Leicestershire <br />Chandler: Sussex<br />Truelove: Surrey, New Zealand<br />Blackburn: Lancashire<br />Carlton: Australia, NZ, Bristol, Ireland <br />Foster:NZ, Queensland, Yorkshire,<br />Marshall: Yorkshire, Lancashire <br />Cannon:Ireland to NZ<br />Turner:England<br />Farquharson: Scotland, Australia<br />Durward: Scotland<br <br />Johnston: Australia, Cumberland, Dumfries <br />Gearon: Ireland,NZ

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Re: Census-Bishop
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 January 07 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Cat,
More information from the 1861 census would be helpful as I can only find a Thomas G Bishop with a mother Mary but no lodger.  Give the 1861 ref. number please,

jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 January 07 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at the 1891 RG12 778 F8 p10      His wife is called Anne but the children fit very well.   I think his age ends with 7 on every one if you look at the originals rather than the transcription.
I can't find the lodger either!
Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 January 07 21:29 GMT (UK) »
FreeBMD has a marriage for a Thomas Bishop in Oct-Dec 1871 in Ticehurst when one of the possible brides is Elizabeth Ann Smith.
Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 January 07 21:37 GMT (UK) »
The 1851 census has a Thomas Bishop age 6 b Etchingham with parents Joseph and Mary and living with them is Edward age 56 - a widower.   There is a strong chance he is Joseph's father.  H0 1071639 F50
Etchingham and Ticehurst are next door to eahc other.
Andrea

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 January 07 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

I am so sorry it was 1851 census with the lodger. Can't believe i made that mistake  :'(

Yes you all have the right census's but i don't think Edward is Josephs father as i have been lead to believe that his father was a man named Joseph, born 1781. Yet on another msg board there is some confusion with this man...but i don't think we should go there as it is a little messy!  :-\ 

Wouldn't Edward be classed as father on the census and not lodger? Could be a uncle possibly.

Maybe Thomas isn't on 1871 census as he may have been on honeymoon with his new wife  ;D I have just found that they married in 1871.

Thanks
Cat
Bishop:  Sussex, New Zealand<br />Henwood:  England<br />Harris: London; Smith, Leicestershire <br />Chandler: Sussex<br />Truelove: Surrey, New Zealand<br />Blackburn: Lancashire<br />Carlton: Australia, NZ, Bristol, Ireland <br />Foster:NZ, Queensland, Yorkshire,<br />Marshall: Yorkshire, Lancashire <br />Cannon:Ireland to NZ<br />Turner:England<br />Farquharson: Scotland, Australia<br />Durward: Scotland<br <br />Johnston: Australia, Cumberland, Dumfries <br />Gearon: Ireland,NZ

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 January 07 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Edward is not described as anything in 1851.  It does not say lodger.   When in 1871 did Thomas marry?    The one I suggested may not be the correct one.  You would have to get a child's birth certificate to get the mother's maiden name to be sure.   He is most unlikely to have been out of the country on honeymoon.  In fact he is most unlikely to have had a honeymoon!   Most working people had one day off for the marriage and that was it.
Please do not make the mistake of relying on information given on message boards.  Whereas we do try to be as accurate as possible you must look at original sources to check all information you are given.   Looking for a marriage for Joseph and Mary will help.  If you can get a certificate then that will say who Joseph's father was.
You may spend ages chasing the wrong line if you do not have a bit more postive information.
Andrea

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 January 07 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cat,
Firstly, if you go to the Sussex Family History Groups site,
http://www.sfhg.org.uk/newmap_of_parishes.html
You will get a printable map of Sussex parishes.  I printed all the sections out then carefully stuck them together to get a full picture of all of Sussex.
The parishes you are researching in are in EAST sussex.  On that note, Burwash, Salehurst & Etchingham are all in the registration district of TICEHURST.
Looking at the 1851 census for the family;

Oasthouse Cottage, Burwash
Joseph Bishop  28  ag lab  b. Etchingham
Mary                 32                       ditto
THOMAS             6                        ditto  (1845)
Edward Bishop  wid  56  ag lab  b. Salehurst.
I would take the age of Thomas as about correct on this census as his parents would be more likely to know & give the correct information.  The younger they are the more likely the age is going to be right.
There is an extracted baptismal record on familysearch for THOMAS GEORGE Bishop, 28/2/1844, Etchingham.
It doesn't give a relationship for Edward to Joseph.  As it's not his father (see below) it could be an uncle.
So far so good.  The marriage of Joseph Bishop, Ticehurst reg. district, Q3 1843 (7 581) also has Mary NEWICK on the same page.
Taking it back even further for the parents of Joseph, I found the only likely candidate;
1841 - Dorset St. Kemptown, Brightelmstone (old name for Brighton)  HO107/1123/4/11/15

Isabella Bishop  55  Fisherwoman
JOSEPH              20
Mary                   15
Isabella               15
Thomas               10
All born Sussex  (ages rounded down)
It's very likely that Isabella's husband was out on the high seas earning a living on the night of the census, so to identify him I looked on the SMI...his name was Benjamin

Brighton, East Sussex,  13 Mar 1803:
 Benjamin BISHOP, bach
 Isabel PAIN, sp botp (B)

I'll look for Thomas George on the 1861 & 1871 later unless someone gets there first , but I think I did spot him yesterday.  He wouldn't have been on his honeymoon as he married later in that year & the census was taken in April so he should be a single man.
Hope I haven't forgotten anything & that sorts things out a bit  ;D

jane

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 January 07 01:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrea

Yes i do realise that i cannot depend fully on the info yet it is something to work with, i was only kidding with the honeymoon as i know that this line i am working with would not be in the position to do that.

Jane, thank you for that info, i will see where it leads me, as Andrea has pointed out i will need to get some certs, thank you for the time you have spent on my family it is very appreciated. :)

Cat