Author Topic: Census-Bishop  (Read 7161 times)

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Re: Census-Bishop
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 18 January 07 07:10 GMT (UK) »
Cat, there is another line of pusuit that you might like to consider.  See if there is an LDS centre near you (go to the Familysearch web site to find a list of their world - wide centres) & see if you can order the film (ref nos. are on the bottom of the entry) for that marriage in Ewhurst in 1811.  It's very troublesome that it's not on the SMI.
You could also see if they have Etchingham parish registers on film, that way you could check for Joseph's baptism & confirm at least his father.

jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 19 January 07 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Cat

Was in A2A today looking for updates for any of mine and put in Joseph Bishop to see what turned up.  Eight references from south east of England, only one of which is of interest  I would think.

From the ESRO Parish of Ewhurst and was a removal order from Ewhurst 10 Nov 1812, of Joseph Bishop, wife Philadelphia, children Thomas (6) and Elizabeth (1) to Etchingham.

The IGI has a submitted entry for the birth of a Thomas in Salehurst in 1807, with parents Joseph and Sarah. There is also a submitted entry for the birth of an Elizabeth in 1811 at Salehurst, parents Joseph and Philadelphia.

So it looks like Joseph did marry Philadelphia. This should be checked via the parish films through the LDS FHC. The Ewhurst records should have the removal orders as well.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 2x Gt Grandmother, Catherine M Turner
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 21 January 07 02:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian and Jane
I followed your advice Jane and sussed out where the closest LDS centre near me and ends up there is one 10 mins away! So when i have a spare moment i will pop down there.  You guys are great, thanks for all the advice, will keep you updated to my findings!

Cat
Bishop:  Sussex, New Zealand<br />Henwood:  England<br />Harris: London; Smith, Leicestershire <br />Chandler: Sussex<br />Truelove: Surrey, New Zealand<br />Blackburn: Lancashire<br />Carlton: Australia, NZ, Bristol, Ireland <br />Foster:NZ, Queensland, Yorkshire,<br />Marshall: Yorkshire, Lancashire <br />Cannon:Ireland to NZ<br />Turner:England<br />Farquharson: Scotland, Australia<br />Durward: Scotland<br <br />Johnston: Australia, Cumberland, Dumfries <br />Gearon: Ireland,NZ

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 21 January 07 10:02 GMT (UK) »
That's great, Cat.  Good luck!

jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline Stefdvla

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 27 July 18 07:25 BST (UK) »
Samuel Russell the witness at the marriage was my gggg grandfather, I have several Kemp’s in my tree and some birth and marriage certificate, if you find any Russell’s in your tree I have a lot of info about them going back to 1700 they were a very large family.