Author Topic: 1851 Census Thomas & Mary A. Barnes  (Read 1153 times)

Offline adam_in_SW_Middx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1851 Census Thomas & Mary A. Barnes
« on: Friday 12 January 07 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me find Thomas Barnes b 1783 Chertsey married to Mary Ann Barnes in 1811 Chertsey.  They were living in Staines Middlesex, or Sunbury, Middlesex in 1841 -

Many Thanks in advance

geezer 12
Chambers of Newmarket/E. Camb.s, Wrenn, Elphick & Culpep(p)er of E. Suss., Buxton of Essex, Tucker of Appledore, Dobbs of Bideford, Morgan of Laugharne, Cordell of Hertfordshire, Gooch & Rix & Tuthill & maybe de Bohun of S. Norfolk etc ;-) Small, Acome, Johnson Bavin, Catlin, Sansom, Pitkin of W. Herts/Bucks, Churchman of Ned. then Hamps/Berks, Gayler of Shoreditch, Barnes of Chertsey/Staines, Goldsmith of Westm/Sussex, Lock of Limpsfield, Found & Gowman of Morwenstow

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census Thomas & Mary A. Barnes
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 January 07 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Can you give details of any census you've found them (1861?) and any children to look for.  I found a Thomas in 1851 Staines b. Chertsey (indexed under Burns) but he's married to Frances........
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline adam_in_SW_Middx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 January 07 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ecneps    8)

I noticed I got the names muddled up - Thomas (elder) was born c. 1783.

I would instead like to see what the Census 1851 has for Thomas (the younger) living in Staines, Middlesex -  though I have seen Thomas and (Harriet) in 1861 (Thomas b 1818 Chertsey) but I am a bit lost in finding Harriet - it says she was born in Hampshire "Rings Dean", which doesn't exist (but it is similar to 2 other villages).

Please could you also look up Thomas Barnes (b about 1783, Chertsey) married to Mary Ann (b around 1790) on the 1841 census.
Chambers of Newmarket/E. Camb.s, Wrenn, Elphick & Culpep(p)er of E. Suss., Buxton of Essex, Tucker of Appledore, Dobbs of Bideford, Morgan of Laugharne, Cordell of Hertfordshire, Gooch & Rix & Tuthill & maybe de Bohun of S. Norfolk etc ;-) Small, Acome, Johnson Bavin, Catlin, Sansom, Pitkin of W. Herts/Bucks, Churchman of Ned. then Hamps/Berks, Gayler of Shoreditch, Barnes of Chertsey/Staines, Goldsmith of Westm/Sussex, Lock of Limpsfield, Found & Gowman of Morwenstow

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 January 07 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Too many Thomas Barnes in 1841 without more info, and can't find William & Hannah in 1851, please would you re-check your dates of birth, and can you give me the census ref for where you saw William & Hannah in 1861?
Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline adam_in_SW_Middx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 January 07 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Again,

William was married to Harriet and living in Black Boy Lane in 1861, Staines, Middlesex. page 8 folio 7 p 36
William was aged 42 and Harriet was 38.

Thomas Barnes and Mary Ann married in 1811 in Chertsey, Surrey -  i don't know their ages but seems a fair assumption to make that Thomas Barnes is the same as the Thomas Barnes who was christened in 1785 in Chertsey, Surrey.

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 January 07 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Have just looked up the 1861 ref you gave,  and it's Thomas Barnes and Harriet - not William/Hannah, and I think you'll find her place of birth is Kingscleare, not Rings Dean, and she was 28, not 38, so perhaps a second wife as there was a daughter Jane aged 14.   So do you want me to look for this couple, Thomas and Harriet in 1851?

I know names can get a bit confusing, but I need to know exactly who I'm looking for!!  :)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 January 07 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Right, sorted it I think!!
Thomas Barnes was first married to Frances

1851 census Birch Green, Staines
Thomas Barnes head marr 32  Farm Labourer Chertsey, Surrey
Frances     "      wife     "     28                          London
Mary Ann   "      dau             8                           Middx  Staines
Emma        "        "               6                                  "        "
Jane          "        "               4                                  "        "
Agnes       "         "               2                                  "        "

Frances Barnes died Dec Quarter 1854 Staines 3a 11
Thomas Barnes married Harriet Munday Jun Qu 1859 Staines 3a 18

Will now try to find Thomas senior and Mary Ann in 1841
Barbara

Offline adam_in_SW_Middx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 January 07 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks ... 

I'm sorry for all the mistakes and thanks for the BMD lookups as well 

I really owe you one
Thanks for offering now to look up Thomas and Mary Ann - I hope to hear from you

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 January 07 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Found no likely Barnes in Chertsey, or Sunbury, but these look promising in Staines (indexed as Bames) : was Thomas a Sawyer?

HO107/718/12 fol.7 p.7 Moor Lane, Staines, Middlesex
Thos. Barnes  55  Sawyer  No (not born in county)
Mary     "        45       W      No
Amella   "       10        D      Yes
James   "        10    Son      Yes

Remember, ages were usually rounded down to nearest 5 yrs in 1841 so not totally accurate, and very unusually here, relationships are shown in the occupation column for wife, son & daughter.   

Hope these are yours, regards, Barbara