Author Topic: Death in the White Horse Pit!!  (Read 7622 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Death in the White Horse Pit!!
« on: Friday 12 January 07 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Hope someone can help me with this one!

My gt gt grandfather's brother Joseph Parker died on 19th March 1844. The cause of death given on the death certificate was given thus 'Accidently killed by falling down a coal pit.' What makes it worse is that this happened the day after his son's birth! The son's (also called Joseph) parish baptism record states 'the poor father died in the White Horse Pit the day after the childs birth!'

I think the White Horse Pit is in Swadlincote but an unsure of this. Any info on the location of or about this pit would be wonderful.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions as to whether there would be any records of such an event and if so where they would be!

Many thanks in advance,

Regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death in the White Horse Pit!!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 January 07 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

This site may give you some information:

http://www.cmhrc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 January 07 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget,

Thanks very much for your reply, i've had a look at that website but no luck yet! However i shall keep looking!

I have a feeling that this may have been an isolated incident with only a single person's death as opposed to a mining accident with several deaths.

When my father and i first came across this incident, we wondered if maybe he had celebrated his sons birth just a littlle to well!!

But i guess we'll never know for sure!

Regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 January 07 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

it should be there if it was a minning death. I'll have a look in a mo.

The other thing that you might check, but it could be a bit early, is for reports in local papers. I've got a few for my mining ancestors that way.

Good luck - one hell of a job they had

Gadget

Ps - He doesn't seem to come up. it may be worth contacting Ian to see if he has anything. he's a very helpful person.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 January 07 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget

Thanks for that, i'll get in touch with ian and when i'm next at the record officce in Matlock i'll check the local papers.

Thanks again!

Regards

David

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 January 07 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi. You could try emailing the Magic Attic and asking if it rings a bell. They are in Swad so might be able to help, plus they seem to have the Derbyshire Mercury for that time but I have no idea if it would be reported there.

http://www.magicattic.org.uk/about.html
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 January 07 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gardener,

Thanks for that, i'll certainly give that a try!

Regards

David

Offline BoaMan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 January 07 16:35 GMT (UK) »
David

I'm off to the Magic Attic in the morning - I'll see if they have anything.

Glyn
Jackson
Laxton
Middleton
Gilbert
Bloor
Sutton
Hartshorne, Derbyshire
Melbourne, Derbyshire
Church Gresley
Swadlincote

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 January 07 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Glyn,

Thank very much indeed for your kind offer! I await any results with interest!

Many thanks again.

Regards

David