Author Topic: Death in the White Horse Pit!!  (Read 7627 times)

Offline BoaMan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Death in the White Horse Pit!!
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 January 07 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

I've been down to the Attic this morning

First thing I found out is - it's not White Horse - It's White House

I haven't managed to find anything in the newspaper so far - I searched for about half an hour around March 19th 1844 - The only paper for that date is the Derby Mercury. I will have another look next week - I might see if I can find an Inquest and any funeral report.

I have managed to get the Burial info from the St Johns Church Records - these are available on a database but also a printed report. There is also the baby's baptism details.

The Burial Info is:

Jos Parker Aged 27
26th March 1844
Killed in the White House Coal pits, His wife confined the day before.

The Baptism Info is

Jos Parker - 7 April 1844
Parents Jos & Anne
Farther killed in the White House Pits after the child's birth.

I will use this info next time to see if I can expand the search a bit for anything in the paper.

Glyn
Jackson
Laxton
Middleton
Gilbert
Bloor
Sutton
Hartshorne, Derbyshire
Melbourne, Derbyshire
Church Gresley
Swadlincote

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 January 07 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Good job Glyn. At least the name makes a bit more sense! There is a Whitehouse farm just between Swadlincote and Newhall if you go to grid ref  429500,320512   at http://www.old-maps.co.uk/
I suppose the pit was named after that.
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BoaMan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 January 07 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

possibly - if you look to the south of those co-ordinates there is a label Swadlincote Colliery - that looks like it could be the place because Clyde down at the Magic Attic said he thought it was on the site of the current Council Depot which is at the junction of Darklands Rd and Nadins Way.

As I said I will be going down again next week - I will see what I can find out.

Was the church records info useful or did you already have that? - Are you looking for anything else to do with him e.g. his birth/baptism records etc.

Glyn
Jackson
Laxton
Middleton
Gilbert
Bloor
Sutton
Hartshorne, Derbyshire
Melbourne, Derbyshire
Church Gresley
Swadlincote

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 January 07 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Glyn

Thanks very much for the info, i thought that i had the correct info, but what you posted tells me i was slightly out, so at least the details are clarified now!

Anything that you can find in the papers would be great!

Does the attic cover just the swadlincote area or does it cover a wider area, ie newhall for example as that is where joseph and his family were born?

Thanks again

Regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline BoaMan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

The Magic Attic actually covers quite a wide area with regard to Newspapers...  that's because the newspapers are either Derby based or Burton Based.

This means that you can find information about Derby and the South Derbyshire Villages - Melbourne, Ticknall, Hartshorne etc from the Derby papers and Burton on Trent and surrounding Staffordshire and S Derbyshire villages from the Burton papers.

The Derby papers go back further than the Burton ones - I'm not sure of exact dates but when I looked for your White House Pit accident (1844) there were only Derby papers available.

As to your question about Newhall - well yes it will be covered because in fact Swadlincote and Newhall are neighbours... these days it's difficult to say where one ends and the other begins.

Have you been on to the S Derbyshire BDM site ? - they have lots of Parkers listed - Joseph's burial and son Joseph's baptism are listed - I'm sure you'll find others.

http://www24.brinkster.com/southderbyshire/personaldetails.asp?id=11417
http://www24.brinkster.com/southderbyshire/baptismdetails.asp?Id=574
Jackson
Laxton
Middleton
Gilbert
Bloor
Sutton
Hartshorne, Derbyshire
Melbourne, Derbyshire
Church Gresley
Swadlincote

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Glyn

Thanks very much indeed, i was completely unaware of the south derbyshire bmd website! Needless to say it is now in my favourites!

Many thanks once again,

Regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline BoaMan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 06:29 GMT (UK) »
It's still under development - only Newhall and Gresley in there at the moment and at times it's a bit painful to use.

You may find sometimes it isn't working - not sure if that's down to the website itself or the host company.

When it's working though you can find some useful info - the data is basically taken from the receipts which were kept as record of payment for the services.
I have seen them down at The Magic Attic - to have them on-line and searchable is much quicker though.

Glyn
Jackson
Laxton
Middleton
Gilbert
Bloor
Sutton
Hartshorne, Derbyshire
Melbourne, Derbyshire
Church Gresley
Swadlincote

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 26 January 07 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Glyn and Gardener

Thanks very much for that Glyn, Newhall and Gresley will do for a start! Although i look forward to looking through those for Hartshorne and Stapenhill etc. as well, I guess i'll just have to wait patiently for that though!

Gardener, thanks very much for the old maps link and the coordinates for the Swadlincote area, very interesting indeed!

Regards

David

Offline BoaMan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 26 January 07 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

with regard to Hartshorne have you looked on the S Derbyshire Parishes Website?
Not all years are on there but there are large chunks which might give you some info.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~brett/parindex.htm
Jackson
Laxton
Middleton
Gilbert
Bloor
Sutton
Hartshorne, Derbyshire
Melbourne, Derbyshire
Church Gresley
Swadlincote