Author Topic: 227 porchester road nottingham  (Read 7157 times)

Offline robert1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
227 porchester road nottingham
« on: Saturday 13 January 07 22:42 GMT (UK) »
hi can anyone help me please im looking for old pictures of this address from aound 1910 onwards as it should be a butchers shop in them times my great grandfather used to manage it his name was walter henry jaques thankyou
hewitson  in cumbria

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 227 porchester road nottingham
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 January 07 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have checked 'picture the past' which has old photos of Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire etc. and there is nothing on there. You could try

Nottingham Central Library
Angel Row,
Nottingham
NG1 6HP

Tel: Nottingham (0115) 915 2828
Fax: Nottingham (0115) 915 2840
24-hour renewal line: 0845 330 4435
E-mail: enquiryline@nottinghamcity.gov.uk

This is a family history centre.

I don't know if Nottm archives can help:

Principal Archivist
Nottinghamshire Archives and Southwell & Nottingham Diocesan Record Office
County House
Castle Meadow Road
Nottingham
NG2 1AG

tel: 0115 958 1634 archive enquiries
tel: 0115 950 4524 administrative enquiries
fax: 0115 941 3997
e-mail: archives@nottscc.gov.uk

I drive along Porchester Road sometimes (I worked there for at least ten years) but I have a feeling the buildings that side of the road have been demolished. In fact I started there in 1977 and cannot remember shops on the 'odd' side of the road. I can only remember walking down from the Mental health hospital, where I used to work, (Ex asylum), past the industrial workshops and farm belonging to the hospital before reaching the 'sister' hospital. The farm and land were sold off and a housing estate built.

There is a pub, post office and shops on the 'even' side of the road.

Are you certain of 227 being the number?

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline robert1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 18:08 GMT (UK) »
hi jane, do you know if there were any butchers shops around the area near porchester road  thanks rob
hewitson  in cumbria

Offline Sherwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 January 07 22:14 GMT (UK) »
I searched Wright's 1913-14 Directory of Nottingham and drew a blank. However, searching Wright's 1910-11 was more fruitful. The attached shows Walter Henry Jaques as a manager at Morley Villas, Porchester Road (not sure whether this was his residence or workplace or both).

In regard of location, Morley Villas were listed between Kenrick Road and Daisy Road. These are both on the 'even' numbered side of Porchester.

Probably of interest to you is that a George Frederick Jaques, Railway Canvasser (whatever that is) was also listed at Morley Villas.

Porchester Road between Kenrick Road and Daisy Road is now a pub (the Punchbowl) and its grounds.  It looks like there were originally two detached properties that have been joined together to make the pub as it is today. It's covered in rendering to make it appear homogenous but the original parts look early 1900s (though I'm just guessing from the features). This implies that one half of the pub could have been Morley Villas. There are a couple of pictures of the Punchbowl at www.picturethepast.org.uk.

As for the 'odd' side of Porchester, there are three houses a little further up, numbered 233, 235 and 237.  They are not part of the recent developments but equally don't look as old as the pub.  It does help with trying to place 227.  That property (and 229 and 231) would presumably have been below these three but nothing is shown in the directory. Anyway, even if they did exist, they are alas not there now.

Here's a link to an interesting site that shows property boundaries in Nottingham today, with numbering.

http://webgis.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/website/nomad

Sherwood.
CRESSWELL/CRESWELL (Nottingham), MARTIN (Nottingham), ARGENT (Derby), DEXTER (Derby), BAINES (Uppingham), NUTT (Uppingham), LENAGHAN/LENAGAN/LANEHEN, etc (Ireland and Stamford), WINTERS (Nottingham), SLANEY (Nottingham), BULL (Yorkshire), MITCHELL (Yorkshire)

Any Census image extracts and information in transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 February 07 01:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am pleased to see Sherwood has backed up what I was thinking. Below the Punchbowl pub is Daisy Road, Florence Road and then Morley Road. I would expect Morley Villas to be close to Morley Road.

The Punchbowl is 214 Porchester Road. There was a big house on the corner of Morley Road. I think an elderly man lived there who had a really old fashioned car, a bit like a Bonnie and Clyde type. This would have been 192. Over the past year or so it has been demolished and new houses built. Could this have been Morley Villas. Above this there are shops.

Above the Punchbowl is Kenrick Road with 222 on the upper corner. Across the road where you would expect 227 is the new estate. I still remember this as Mapperley Hospital farm but to check it out I could see if old maps exist either at the archives or at Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust who are todays "equivalent" of Mapperley Hospital. I still have some management responsibitlities within the old hospital grounds.

I had an eye operation last Friday so I am off work and cannot drive for 2 weeks. Once I have the all clear I will try and find out more for you at the archives and by driving up Porchester Road.

In the meantime if you can recheck any information you have and post it to make any enquiries easier for me.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sherwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 February 07 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Jane,

The 1910-11 directory lists Morley Villas between Kenrick and Daisy, i.e. where the Punchbowl is today. The directory didn't list anything after Daisy Rd on the Porchester Rd entry.

Bear in mind that there is also a Morley Avenue the other side of Mapperley Top so I'm wondering whether there was an eminent Mr Morley after whom these places were named (i.e. Morley Villas wouldn't have necessarily been on Morley Road).

Sherwood.
CRESSWELL/CRESWELL (Nottingham), MARTIN (Nottingham), ARGENT (Derby), DEXTER (Derby), BAINES (Uppingham), NUTT (Uppingham), LENAGHAN/LENAGAN/LANEHEN, etc (Ireland and Stamford), WINTERS (Nottingham), SLANEY (Nottingham), BULL (Yorkshire), MITCHELL (Yorkshire)

Any Census image extracts and information in transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline greenanne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 December 09 05:09 GMT (UK) »
Dear Sherwood and anyone interested.

RE: Morley Rd. Daisy Road.  The Punchbowl.   History of this.

My father and uncle. John and Victor Johnson bought the property where the Punchbowl now stands from the army after WW2.  It was a store for the army.  They renovated it and turned it into a private club.  My father left England in 1949 and his brother Victor later sold the club. which is now a Pub.  I have a photograph of my father sitting beside a water feature in the gardens with the building in the background.  I visited this place in 1998.  The old brick building in the photograph was still there and the background behind my father is almost unchanged except the gardens were a car park.   If you are interested in the photograph or have any historical photographs I should love to hear from you.  I was born in nottingham and my cousins lived in the club but we lived in a house in Daisy Road next to a Mrs. Nellie Webberley.

Thank you   Susan.

Offline Sherwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 December 09 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan and welcome to Rootschat!

Regarding the property that your father and uncle bought, do you recall whether it was the whole of what is now the Punchbowl or just one half?  As I previously said, it looks to me like two buildings that have been joined together.  I have no particular connection but am just curious.

Sherwood.

Offline greenanne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 December 09 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sherwood
Vic and Arthur bought the whole property from the army just after the war.
Kind regards,
Susan