Author Topic: 1851 lookup ROBINSON please  (Read 10747 times)

Offline wwheel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 lookup ROBINSON please
« Reply #18 on: Friday 17 February 12 13:48 GMT (UK) »

Just found another piece of the puzzle, I contacted Sleaford library they were really helpful, and helped me to decipher the road name on the 1841 census for Rebecca Day, it was Southgate the main High Street in Sleaford.  According the 1842 Whites Directory the address belonged to John Marston, a Brewer in Sleaford.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 17 February 12 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Well that is the same Rebecca Day I found in the 1841, an FS, living in New Sleaford at Southgate.

I am wondering if she was illegitimate if there was no father named on her marriage certificate? That may mean the end of the line, IF you can find a baptism.

I see you are missing the 1861 census? I will see if I can find it, and I will also check the censuses you've listed, and the different places of birth for Rebecca (to see their proximity to eachother).

Do you have Fanny's birth certificate? Is this her?:

Births Mar 1848
ROBINSON  Fanny     Sleaford  14 535   
Robinson  Fanny     Sleaford  14 538
(two entries in Freebmd - maybe due to two births or being unsure of last digit?  :-\)

There are quite a few Fanny Robinson births ....

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 17 February 12 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Do you have Fanny's birth certificate? Is this her?:

Births Mar 1848
ROBINSON  Fanny     Sleaford  14 535   
Robinson  Fanny     Sleaford  14 538

You will see on FreeBMD that the first entry has Sleaford in italics.  This is because the number (535) does not fall within the range of the pages covering Sleaford in that quarter. Click on you'll see that is 537-558.

If you click on the to the right of the entry, you will see the GRO index page ... this (fairly) clearly shows the page number is 538. :)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 18 February 12 01:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the explanation Geoff - I checked the first entry after I posted (and thought it was 535  :P), but was unable to see the second one for some reason.

wwheel,

On their marriage certificate who is John's father and what is his occupation?

I have just checked all the censuses for John and Rebecca and agree that it is the same family. I also think that on the 1851 census Fanny's age should be 3 - this ties in with her age in other censuses. THey have a son John H aged 1 in the 1851 census but in the other censuses they have a son Charles b 1852. Maybe John died?

I have found the family in 1861 - let me know if you would like the details.

I still haven't checked the locations of the various birth places of Rebecca. It could be that she just said she was born in Boston on most of the censuses as it was the nearest large town. You may need to look at the other places for her birth, or any small villages in the general area?  :-\ I also wonder, if she was illegitimate, that she may have been registered with her mother's maiden name?

As John and Rebecca were living with daur Fanny and family in East REtford in Notts in 1891, I wonder if these might be their deaths?:

Death Jun1/4 1894
Rebecca Robinson
E. Retford
7b 7

Deaths Dec1/4 1899
John Robinson
age 87
E.Retford
7b 8

Offline bsidebaby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hello

Dont know if you are all still here as this thread was 3 years ago but I too am descended from Thomas Robinson 1775 through his son Thomas 1822 his son Edward 1858 his daughter Edith born 1887. Edward was a Grocer/Draper in Helpringham and left for Derbyshire between 1891 and 1901. I cant find his death or any of the family on the 1911 census except eldest daughter Edith who had returned to Warwickshire where Edwards wife had come from. I guess Edward died before 1911 and his wife and children returned to Warwickshire. I think the wife died 1921 in Warwickshire. Anyway be good to hear from any of you long lost cousins! :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hello bsidebaby. Welcome to rootschat. :)

I actually started this thread in 2007, so it's 8 years old (the last post was three years ago), but I'm still here.

I haven't looked at this line since 2012 so had to have a quick look at my tree to refresh my memory. It seems that you and my husband must be distant cousins.

I'll have a look to see if I can spot any of your missing Robinsons. If I, or anyone else who is following this thread, can't find them, it might be worth starting a new thread of your own which might reach a wider audience of potential helpers.  :)

I might be back later with some questions for you ...

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 23:55 BST (UK) »
Hi again bsidebaby. A few questions:

Who did Thomas 1822 marry and when (so I can add this to my tree  ;))

Their son Edward b 1858 - who did he marry and when?

And Edith - you say you have her in 1911 in Warwickshire - was she married at that time? If not when and who did she marry?

Can you give me names and birth years and places of Edith's siblings please?

It might make the search easier if I have names and details of a few more family members.  :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 03 June 15 01:32 BST (UK) »
I managed to find the family on  the 1901 census so have the children's names, but like you I can't find any of them in 1911.

It is possible that some of the children married but you would expect to be able to find the boys and young Evelyn b 1900. I had a reasonable forage around but could not find any of them (nor Edith) using variations of search terms and surname.

Generally when a whole family is missing they have been mistranscribed or they may have emigrated. It would be unusual for them all to have died between 1901 and 1911.

I couldn't see them on the Ellis Island index. I didn't check Australia.  ::) It might also be worth checking Canada as one of their 'cousins' ended up there.

Hopefully someone who is a better searcher than me will be able to find them for you.  :-\

Offline bsidebaby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 03 June 15 07:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie

Thanks for your replies. Like an idiot I completely forgot that I did find the 1911 census for them the other week. They are all living in Rugby Warwickshire and Edward has died so he must have died between 1901 and 1911. Edith married John Thomas Gilbert and had her first son John Edward Gilbert both in 1910.

Thomas Robinson 1822 married Elizabeth Lyon in 1847 in Colsterworth Lincs.

Edward Robinson 1858 married Elizabeth Roberts in 1887 Stretton on Fosse Warwickshire.

Thanks for getting in touch! :)