Author Topic: KERSLAKE family name lookup request Taunton 1821  (Read 7639 times)

Offline Dobrytin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: KERSLAKE family name lookup request Taunton 1821
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Amelia Jane Swan's parents were Henry Swan(b. 1809,Rainham, d. 1858,Hackney,London) and Jane Wells(b. 1820, Gillingham, d. 1893, London).
I believe that jane was Henry's second wife, and were married 1839 in Gillingham.

The info that I have on the children of Henry Swan and Jane Wells is :

Henry John Swan,  b.1839, Gillingham.
Edward Samuel Swan, b. 1841, Gillingham.
Amelia Jane Swan, b. 1843, Haggerston,London (near Bethnal Green), d. 1928,Rainham.
Jane Elizabeth Swan, b. 1846, Gillingham.
Edward J. Swan, b.1850, Islington,London.

Offline SteveAlex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 16:44 GMT (UK) »
see http://www.wsom.org.uk/Registers/TNSMBap18201829.htm

Caroline    Kerslake    Thomas/Jane    East St.    White smith    21    12    1820

Regards

Steve   
Alexander;Flight,Blewett,Hackett,Walker,Rowbotham,Landon,Bedall,Neale,Hanman,West,Yendall,Sutton,Walters

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 February 15 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Steve for the info on Caroline Kerslake and her brother John. Regards, Dave.

Posted on behalf of Dobrytin :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline littleden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 20 February 15 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dobrytin.  My g.g.g. grandfather was George Dennis b 1833 to my g.g.g.g. grandfather/mother, Thomas Dennis and Jane Alexander.  George Dennis was the Parish clerk of Upchurch, Kent for 53 years and is buried at Upchurch in a grave paid for by the local parishioners, he died aged 89. I live near by and visit his grave regularly. It's so nice to hear from others with family connections.

Offline Dobrytin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 February 15 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi littleden
Thank you for your message.
My great grandfather was William Dennis, born 1838 in Upchurch, a son of Thomas Dennis and Jane Ann Alexander.
I have traced another brother,Daniel, born 1833 in Upchurch. Daniel and his family emigrated to the U.S. In the 1870s and farmed in Parma, Ohio, near Cleveland.
John Kerslake, brother of Caroline Kerslake, had emigrated to the same part of Ohio in the 1850s,shortly after his marriage in Upchurch, and before the American Civil War.

Emma Jane Ashdown Dennis, daughter of Thomas Dennis and his second wife Caroline Kerslake ,married Henry John Swan who was a brother of my great grandmother Amelia Jane Swan, wife of my great grandfather William Dennis.
I lived in Rainham in the early 1960s.
Regards, Dave.

Offline littleden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 February 15 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Dave,
Thanks for the extra info.
I am aware of the siblings George, Thomas, William and Eliza but I'm puzzled by your finding of Daniel b 1833 which is the year my g.g.g. grandfather George was born, so they must have been twins? Or am I losing the plot? I have to admit that the further back I delve, the more I find it all very confusing  ???
I was born in Greenwich SE London but moved to Bobbing, Sittingbourne in the 80's. It was only last year that I discovered that I'd returned to my roots.  My daughter got married in Lower Halstow church last year (next village on to Upchurch as you probably know.) The church has many relics of our relatives, which made it extra special.
So, my g.g.g grandfather was the older brother of your great grandfather .....
Regards, Denise

Offline Dobrytin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 22 February 15 03:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Denise,
I believe that your George Dennis was born in 1817 in Molash,near Faversham, and was a brother of Thomas Dennis who married Jane Alexander and Caroline Kerslake.
This would agree with a record of George Dennis of Milton District who died in 1907, age 89,
On the FreeBMD a website.

Thomas Dennis was born 1806 in Molash. In the IGI records his surname is spelled DENNESS, and. George's surname is spelled DENNES.

In some of the U.S. Records in Ohio, Daniel Dennis is sometimes recorded as Daniel George Dennis, George Daniel Dennis, George D. Dennis.

Thomas Dennis and siblings' parents were Thomas Dennis and Elizabeth Coppin who were married in Pluckley in 1802. Their oldest child was Harriet who married James Smitherman in Upchurch.
I have found the Dennis line difficult to trace, possibly because the spelling may have changed with such variations as : Dennes, Denniss, Denne, Denness.
In 1966 we move from Rainham to British Columbia where we still live.