Author Topic: Hawick and the Great War 1914-1919  (Read 93309 times)

Offline georgethorburn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hawick and the Great War 1914-1919
« Reply #63 on: Sunday 24 August 08 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Bougie

That is a very interesting book, Do you have the publisher and authors details?

My Great Uncle Donald was killed in the Dardanelles

4321    CUMMING, DONALD, D Company, Is Battallion
Private    10730   King's Own Scottish Borderers   06/08/1915   23 yrs old

Panel 84 to 92 or 220 to 222.(Helles Memorial)

He was the son of James and Louisa Cumming, 12 Wilton Crescent. They had 4 sons, 4 sons in law and 7 nephews in the Great War in 1915.

He was not killed on the terrible 12th July but appears to have died on 6th August . I recall reading something from a clipping which I have now lost that he died from his wounds after carrying someone wounded out of the line and had he died would have been awarded a medal. Do you have any record of this or of his death?

I have also been trying to trace my grandfathers service record. I know he went to Berwick to sign up thinking he would have joined the KOSB like his father and brothers, uncles and cousins but due to a mix up he ended up in The Royal Scots and did his basic training in Nigg. I wouold welcome any information relating to his Regiment, Battallion and company. He served fromearly 1915 to March/April 1919 and returned to work on the railways as a fireman.

Thank you for sharing this book.

Offline georgethorburn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 24 August 08 10:02 BST (UK) »
Bougie,

foolishly I didn't give you my grandfathers name in the last post. He was  also from 12 Wilton Crescent. His name was George Gordon Cumming b 16 1 1899 The engraving on his medals is 51463 Pte G G Cumming R. Scots

Offline Pantograph

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Sunday 31 August 08 15:12 BST (UK) »
I would be extremely grateful if you could look up my Grandfather in your Great War book. His name was William Elliot Reid, born in 1892, and he would have lived at 2, Village (aka Under Village), Hawick. He was married in 1915 to Margaret Murgatroyd, and was wounded in the war. Many thanks.

Pantograph.
Reid/Murgatroyd/Huggan/McKnight

Offline jim scott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Friday 02 January 09 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Barb
This is cousin Jim Scott from edmonton - I stumbled over your exchanges on this site with respect to our HAwick ancestors. Can you email me at (*) as I have a friend Val who is assisting me on our family tree.
Best wishes for 2009 - hope you have a good year - also, how is all of the Scott family over there?
Jim

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline asbms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 01 February 09 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stephanie.
I have both Musgraves and Armstrongs in my family tree. I would love to correspond with you on these families.
Ian

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Monday 02 February 09 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Pantograph...was your Margaret Murgatroyd born c 1890 at Gateshead,Durham ,England and was the daughter of Janet  and Joshua ??
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline neryse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Monday 16 February 09 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Would you be able to see if you have anything in your book about Alexander Nicholson, I have a photo of him in uniform, but don't know what regiment he was in, he looks very young in the photo,maybe 16-18yrs old,

Offline Pantograph

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Monday 16 February 09 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Yes! That's my granny. I have lots of information about her and pictures of her brothers, sisters and father Joshua.
Reid/Murgatroyd/Huggan/McKnight

Offline SteveNorwich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Friday 27 February 09 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello there - can you help me.

My Great Grandmother was Ellen Anderson (c1882) - her father was James (1856c) and he was born in Hawick. His fathers name was William (c1824)

Any information you can share would be gratefully received.

Regards

Steve