Author Topic: (O.S.Minister) Clement Moscrip Pollokshaws  (Read 5501 times)

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
(O.S.Minister) Clement Moscrip Pollokshaws
« on: Saturday 20 January 07 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Trying to find marriage for Clement Moscrip(O.S Minister Pollokshaws Church between 1842/1848)
Clement Moscrip dob approx 1805 died 1848 aged 43 buried Pollokshaws Church.
Where would I be able to find out his M.I.I have tried Mitchell Library,no joy any suggestions.   Fiona

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: (O.S.Minister) Clement Moscrip Pollokshaws
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 January 07 16:46 GMT (UK) »
I looked up the fasti ecclesiastica scotticanae thing, and clement moscrip was not the minister of pollockshaws church in 1845. Have you got proof about him being a minister, maybe it was a different church in pollockshaws, methodist, etc. it is not in the "fasti" which seems to be church of scotland only.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 January 07 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom

Thanks for your reply.
Yes I had an email from an Archivist at the Mitchell Library confirming Clement being a Minister at Bathgate and Pollokshaws.My proof is- Matriculation Album of Glasgow University,Clement matriculated with the University in 1820.
Clemens Moscrip fn;max;Georgii Viri Reverendi in viro Crawfordsdyke;Renfrew
Clement Moscrip O.S minister of Bathgate 1829/1836 when demitted charge Suspended 1839/1841.O.S minister Pollokshaws 1842/1848 died there 20th Sep 1848 aged 43years.
The Latin section roughly translates as eldest son of George Moscrip of Crawfordsdyke,Renfrew.
O.S is short for Original Secession
Clement is buried at Pollokshaws cemetery,it would be great to find out the M.I on his headstone,any ideas?
Do ministers headstones record there wifes name as well?Rev Georges stone did not record his wifes name.Hope you can help.   Fiona

Offline A R Hill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 January 07 01:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm not quite sure how much of this you already have - but according to the Mitchells' book of Renfrewshire MIs, there is a mural tablet in the following (abbreviated) terms where "-" represents an illegible bit:-

Revd Clement Moscrip ordained Bathgate 1829, inducted Pollockshaws 1842, d -0.9.1848 4-y

The church in question was the Pollockshaws Associate Synod (Burgher) church, which joined the Free Church in 1849 and became known as the East United Free Church, Pollockshaws. So, while I don't have access to it to check, I believe the Fasti you require in this case will therefore be Small's "History of the United Presbyterian Church" which (at volume 1 p138) is said by the MIs book to list the Burgher ministers from 1767.

PS - I see his father buried at Greenock in the index - you have indicated above that you have seen that stone but I'll respond separately to your other post on his father anyway.

Alistair
Family: Ramsay, Taylor, Dewar, Halley, McQueen (all Clackmannan & Dollar); Fitzcharles (Scotland - Glasgow and Mearns, not Arbroath, Dundee or Grangemouth); Hill & Turpin (each both in Cornwall & Govan); McLean (Glasgow); McCallum & McPhail (Loch Awe).
Topographical: Eaglesham & Mearns (Renfrewshire); Clackmannanshire; Corstorphine (Midlothian).
Research: Gilmour of Eaglesham; Gilmour of Hillhead; Prof. Francesco Jannetti (translator,  La Favorita).

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 January 07 06:30 GMT (UK) »
Well done, Dahlbhoy, you solved the problem, It wasnt the Church of Scotland but the Free church, I thought that there was a problem with churches. Thanks, I am glad Fiona has finally got these details confirmed.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Roncac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 June 18 10:36 BST (UK) »
Well done, Dahlbhoy, you solved the problem, It wasnt the Church of Scotland but the Free church, I thought that there was a problem with churches. Thanks, I am glad Fiona has finally got these details confirmed.

Tom
Clement Moscrip’s name appears in the Index to Scottish Presbyterian Ministers: http://ecclegen.com/general-index-m/#Morton,%20John

There are links there to various references in basic reference works.

Note that the Pollokshaws “Original Secession” congregation split in two and one section was received into the Free Church in 1849 (http://ecclegen.com/congregations-4/#_Hlk377369942); the other section remained in the “Original Secession” Church even after the majority united with the Free Church in 1852. It eventually acceded to the Church of Scotland in 1956.