Author Topic: Graham's of Cumberland  (Read 100110 times)

Offline Papamoa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Sharing is the fastest way to progress genealogy.
    • View Profile
Re: Graham's of Cumberland
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane,

I have only just discovered this RootsChat and am enjoying it.  Can you give me more details of your John Graham of Newbiggin.  Newbiggin is the name of a farm and I have photos I took of it in 2005, am happy to send you copies.  My connection with Newbiggin is through my John Graham who married Jane Sewell  9th Feb, 1820.  At the time of the baptism of their daughter, Elizabeth 19th June, 1822, Jane was shown in the baptism record as living with her father at Newbiggin.  I have no idea what she was doing there but possibly her father may have been ill. I don't have any death date for her father.  John & Jane's home was at Randalinton Farm a short distance away.

Regards, Bruce
Graham's of Cumberland & New Zealand
Glass's of Aberdeenshire & New Zealand

Offline Papamoa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi to all who are reading this thread. 

I have reasonably comprehensive extractions of The Bishop's Transcripts for Arthuret, Kirklinton & St Cuthbert's Carlisle.  All Graham names I'm sorry. If your ancestor is not a Graham or married to a Graham I wont have it in my data.

Regards, Bruce
New Zealand

Offline GalaxyJane

• RootsChat Senior
  • His Mistress' Voice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, Bruce,
                I do have somewhere a photocopy of the marriage record of my John Graham, maybe there are more details there. Please bear with me as I have not worked on this line since the (Northern hemisphere) summer, and have been away from home for a month...the word chaos springs to mind.
      I was wondering if my Grahams might have moved out of the Newbiggin farm by 1813 as the birth record of Edward Graham shows the couple now to be ''of Sunnyside''
          However, a further thought, and I hope some people who know the area can help here.. there may be more than one Newbiggin in the area
           I will get back to you on the marriage record asap
                                    Regards
                                                 Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GalaxyJane

• RootsChat Senior
  • His Mistress' Voice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Later:
 Here is the transcript of the record
John Graham of Newbiggen in this Parish Batchelor and Ann Scott of Saughtrees in the Parish of Bewcastle, singlewoman were married in this church by Licence this fifth day of July 1796
            By me ? Pattinson, Rector  (I could not read the initial)
This marriage was solemnised between us, John Graham, Ann Scott
in the presence of us, William Graham, William Scott, Richard Scott, Mary Dodgson, M Pattison, Andrew Graham, Mary Routledge, Robert Noble.

They looked the licence up for me and it contained no further information. Maybe the witness's names will be familiar.

Re John Graham's baptism, I see I have noted a possible for him, taken from a transcription of the BTs they had at the records office. I noted the date but not the year,  except that is was between 1780 and 1812....oh dear!
         It reads
               John son of Andrew Graham, Husbandman and Jane his wife of Newbiggin
September 27th ????
I have since discovered from the IGI that this John Graham died a year later.         
There is an Andrew Graham among the witnesses at the wedding...
 There is also a John, illegit. son of Elizabeth Graham of Newbiggin, baptised Jan 1st 1774
      These are the only two John Grahams of Newbiggin I found, though given the conditions of my visit as I said before there may be more in your notes
        I hope this helps and you continue to enjoy Rootschat
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Papamoa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane,

This is all getting very complicated.  I have an entry dated December 1st, 1793, Baptism of John, bastard son of Andrew Graham, parish of Aspatria shoemaker, and Jane Porteas of Dikenwood, spinster.  Unfortunately the witness names you provided don't help me.  Obviously there were Graham's at Newbiggin for several generations, also Sewells.  It is a very large property and I wonder if two families lived there at the same time, ie the Graham's and Sewells.

Until later, Bruce

Offline Papamoa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Jane,

Attached is a photograph of Newbiggin, Kirklinton.

Regards, Bruce

Offline Jessy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bruce,  I have looked in local telephone directory and cannot find the storeys of Newbiggin Farm, Kirklinton  :'(  I wonder if they have moved?? I shall investigate.  Have you seen the web site for memorials in Longtown and look under Grahams.    Ill get back to you when I do some searches.
Jess  by the way as well as Newbiggin Farm there is a Newbiggin.

Offline Papamoa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jess,

Thanks for your reply.  When you say there is another "Newbiggin" is it in Kirklinton?  I am aware that there are other "Newbiggin"'s in other parts of Cumberland.

Best regards, Bruce

Offline Jessy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bruce,  Is Newbiggin Farm actually at Kirklinton.  According to my ordanance survey map there is a Newbiggin to the west of Kirklinton.  Approx 3 miles away???  Across the other side of the A6071 Brampton to Longtown Road.