Author Topic: Family rumours have they turned out to be true?  (Read 80021 times)

Offline sirius

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sirius 9 light years away,same as ancestors Doh!
    • View Profile
Family rumours have they turned out to be true?
« on: Wednesday 05 April 06 21:29 BST (UK) »

I wondered how many rumours that you hear when starting your family history turn
  out to be true, ours is that the family came from Denmark, but have not found any
  evidence yet.What about anybody else on Rootschat.

Sirius
Callison Callesen Calleson

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family rumours have they turned out to be true?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 22:01 BST (UK) »
Quite a few have turned out to be a bit off ;)

But they all have had a grain of truth in them.

For example, my Dad always said that his paternal line were slate quarriers and came from Maentwrog, Merionethshire. I have found out that before his grandfather became a coal miner in Chirk, Denbighshire, the male line were agricultural labourers and came from Merionethshire via Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog and Llansilin, Denbighshire. His grandfather's mother's line were, however, slate quarriers and came from Llangynog, Montgomeryshire. Before that one line came from Llangor on the southern shores of Bala Lake (Llyn Tegid), Merionethshire.....

So nearly right I suppose ;)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Propping up a Saxon shore fort!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 22:07 BST (UK) »
My grandmother would never talk about why her mother had been brought up by an aunt. We thought we were going to uncover some great scandal. It turns out that her mother died just giving birth to my grandmothers brother when she was 3, so with 5 others to care for she went to live with her aunt and uncle. No scandal there then!!!     
Reynolds, Woodham, Payne, Wilmott, Hart, Richardson, Packwood, Tandy, Dexter - Bedfordshire.
Chamberlain and Wagstaff- Hunts.
Freeman, Cheney, Cox- Northants.
Burns, Muter, Cobban, Hossack, Strachan, Moonlight.
Lanarkshire, Ross and Cromarty and Kincardineshire.
Garvey- Ireland.

Census Information Is Crown Copyright From--
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 22:18 BST (UK) »
I haven't found out yet, but at one of our daughters wedding about 15 yrs, ago, an old friend of my mother asked me if i'd ever been in touch with my step brother in Denmark, this was news to me, but shouldn't have been, my old man was married at least four times plus a few friends on the side, apparently whilst in the RAF at the end of the war he was stationed in Denmark, met another "friend",  so hence my new relation, . Any suggestions on how one would check the story ?. Bodger
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,
Lockett/ Manchester, Harling/ Lancaster & Manchester

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 22:23 BST (UK) »
My gran always told me we were related to Mad Jack Fuller, great British eccentric.  Well yes one of her family did marry a Fuller but as to relationship - not found yet!

She also always said that her father was Italian.  May not be true as her mum didn't meet her Italian husband, until my gran was 5 years old at the end of the 1WW.  Possible but...

Kerry

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 22:24 BST (UK) »
I also thought we were descended from Robert Burns. No luck yet!!!
Reynolds, Woodham, Payne, Wilmott, Hart, Richardson, Packwood, Tandy, Dexter - Bedfordshire.
Garvey- Ireland.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda

My grt grts were a Robert and Jean from that part of Scotland - before I found out more, I always had a romantic idea that it was Robert Burns and his wife Jean  ::)

It turned out to be a Robert Wilson and Jean Burgess - still that line has kept me happily involved since I was 8  ;D

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 22:30 BST (UK) »
After I had discovered a previously unknown about first marriage of my grandmother it seemed to nudge my cousin's memory of a conversation she overheard gran and her daughter talking and she said "they said he should never have asked me to marry him".  Well cousin thought they must have been discussing an old boyfriend, but putting two and two together assume now that they were discussing the first husband.  Of course she wishes she had taken more notice of the conversation as she thinks there was something behind that statement, such as ........ maybe he was gay!  Well they were married at least five years with no children to show for it!

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,
                 My aunt had some work done by a professional genealogist who told her we were descended from Gilbert Burns, Roberts brother. I havnt found any link at all. I think he was a con artist and just told my aunt what she wanted to hear.
Garvey- Ireland.