Author Topic: Which of your ancestors have disappeared?  (Read 75525 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Which of your ancestors have disappeared?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 22 January 07 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Ouch, Romilly!! 
I take it your grandmother can't/couldn't shed any light on his mysterious disappearance!
If he had another wife and family, he could have changed his name or anything!! :( :( :'( :'( :'(
MarieC

Hi MarieC,

Unfortunately that Grandmother died in 1976...& apart from remembering that her father used to 'perform' at the Liberal Club in Greenwich, (I guess that he must have been some sort of Music Hall Comedian/or Stand-Up or something:-) she didn't have any other clues.

However, I do have a photo of him. (Now wouldn't it be funny if another Rootschatter recognised him as one of theirs!!). ;D ;D ;D

Romilly. ;)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 22 January 07 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Barbara,

How did I know you and Ernest would turn up on this thread LOL ???  You ought to briefly set out again where you have looked for him, just in case someone has another bright idea! ;D  He's probably with my Edward and Eleanor somewhere, laughing!  (You've absolutely demonstrated how mad you are - but I knew that anyway!!!  ;D ;D)

Romilly, perhaps you ought to post his photo and name!  You never know, you might have a distant cousin here!!!  :o :o :o 8) 8)

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 22 January 07 13:02 GMT (UK) »

Oh I couldn't go through it again Marie 'cos I've looked everywhere for him.  Everybody must be bored witless with him by now and if they see his name again in print they'll all go as dooolally as me - and we can't have that now can we!!     I can see it now, thousands of RCers walking round the streets of London asking perfect strangers . . .. . . . "Have you seen this man"     Nooooo, can't do that!!          ::)

Barbara                  8)
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 22 January 07 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Romilly, perhaps you ought to post his photo and name!  You never know, you might have a distant cousin here!!!  :o :o :o 8) 8)
MarieC

Hi Again,

I thought I had! But if it hasn't worked...his name was:

Thomas Louis NEWMAN (Approx dates 1860 - 1920).

Best Wishes, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 22 January 07 13:10 GMT (UK) »

Oh I couldn't go through it again Marie 'cos I've looked everywhere for him.  Everybody must be bored witless with him by now and if they see his name again in print they'll all go as dooolally as me - and we can't have that now can we!!     I can see it now, thousands of RCers walking round the streets of London asking perfect strangers . . .. . . . "Have you seen this man"     Nooooo, can't do that!!          ::)

Barbara                  8)

I don't have to ask who you're talking about, Barbara  ;D

I've lost my great granddad on the 1861 but I do have him born (1856) and on the 1871 and from then on.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline JLo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 22 January 07 13:24 GMT (UK) »
I have the same problem as you Gadget - my gg grandfather born in 1856 is nowhere to be found in 1861 (nor are his parents, siblings or grandfather) and reappears in 1871.  I have spent HOURS and HOURS hunting for them  ???
Perhaps we're looking for the same man  :o :o
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Marshall, Beeson (Herts)
Lo(e)wenthal,Kavanagh, Maxam (London, Birmingham)
Harrisson, Matthews (London, Essex)
Poulton, Philbrick (Essex)
Guest, Timmins (Staffs)
Raynes/Ryall (Ireland, Birmingham)
White (Bucks)
Gunn (Scotland, Lancs, Essex)
Ison (Tamworth, Birmingham, USA, Canada)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 22 January 07 13:31 GMT (UK) »
I have a George Bishop who slid off into the sunset around 1861 never to be seen again!

There he was - a jolly old ag lab (well, I like to think so!) on the 1851 census, living in Keyingham in East Yorkshire, working on the land and having a copious number of children.

Then - piff paff puff - by the 1861 census, he's gone! His wife Ann and family are still there (she says she is 'married' not widowed) but there is no sign of George. No death to be found, no George anywhere else on the 1861 census (there's a George Bishop in Kings Lynn who was born in the same place as my George, but he's a red herring! for tis not my George but - I think - a cousin.)

There is a clue as to what happened in that Ann has the baptism of her last child - James - on the IGI in 1858 with only her name as the mother; no father's name. Surely, if James was George's son but George had died between conception and birth, his name would still have been entered?

So, did George do a bunk after Ann had done a bunk-up with another man? (Sorry!!)

Or was he abducted by aliens?  :-\

Jill

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 22 January 07 13:34 GMT (UK) »
There are quite a few EDs missing in the 1861. I heard that it was something to do with the transfer of responsibility from the Home Office to the Registrar General's Office. The HO kept them in poor conditions (and wouldn't hand them over)  or they were found in the basement of the Houses of Parliament or something like that  ??? ??? ???

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 22 January 07 15:13 GMT (UK) »
I've got a Robert West (1837-1910)  who is buried in Worthing cemetry, together with his wife Harriett Lambert (1834-1910) and a grandaughter Lily (22-Sep-1892 to 25-Jun-1906).  The only problem is that Robert and Harriett had no children.  I've found them on every census but no trace of any children.

Mysteriously, they reckon they had a son called Charles who was born in Brighton or Worthing in 1856 (it depends which census you are looking at).  He turns up for the first time on the 1881 census living in Epsom, Surrey and by 1891 he is married with chidren in Epsom.  Meanwhile, Charles daughters are living with their alleged grandparents in Worthing.

How they managed to have grandchildren without having any children of their own is a mystery. ???

downside
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk