Author Topic: Which of your ancestors have disappeared?  (Read 75529 times)

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Which of your ancestors have disappeared?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 January 07 11:45 GMT (UK) »
I have an ancestor who Appeared. My GGrandfather came to Stoke on Trent sometime in the mid 1860s from Canada,I can't find his birth,I can't find him in either the 1851 Canada census or the 1861,he is a mystery..
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 January 07 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Gosh, Oonagh - that's a problem at the other end of life!!  :D ::)

Don't suppose he could have been born or spent time in the US, before going to Canada (and eventually to England)?

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 January 07 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Oonagh

His name wasn't Edward Martin by any chance was it??  ;D ;D ;D  Sorry Marie couldn't resist!!

Heather
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 January 07 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marie,
          I don't know! anything is possible,how do I work it out?
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 January 07 12:02 GMT (UK) »
No, no, Heather, Edward Martin DISappeared, didn't appear - pay attention!!  ::) ::) ;D ;D

Oonagh, I'm not up with US records but I'm sure there are ways to get access to their censuses and bdm records.  Hopefully someone from the US will read this thread and tell us!  Their 1880 census is on the LDS website but that's too late for you...

Come to think of it, I should probably check for Edward Martin on the US death records if I could find them, just in case... !! ??? ???

MarieC
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 January 07 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi MarieC,

I can empathise with your post! ;D

I have a Great Grandfather, Thomas Louis Newman, who appears on my Grandmother's Birth Cert in 1902, - Occupation 'Comedian' ;D ;D

...& then disappears!! I haven't been able to (conclusively) find any other records for him:-(

According to my Grandmother, he had another wife & family, - but I'm unable to verify this. I've never been able to find any record of him marrying my Great Grandmother, Frances Dyer, - although she calls herself Newman on my G/Mother's Birth Cert, - & her name is given as Frances Newman on her Death Cert.

It is very frustrating!!!

Best Wishes, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 January 07 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Ouch, Romilly!! 

I take it your grandmother can't/couldn't shed any light on his mysterious disappearance!

If he had another wife and family, he could have changed his name or anything!! :( :( :'( :'( :'(

MarieC

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 22 January 07 12:30 GMT (UK) »
I have my GGrandfather here in 1871 and 1881,I have pretty good idea he went back to Canada in1886,and died there in 1903!it's his beginnings I would love to know!

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 22 January 07 12:37 GMT (UK) »

Well now, I do believe EVERYONE knows of Ernest, who vanished after his birth in 1887 and who reappeared for his marriage in 1912.     So I wont bore you with the minutia of the problem.   But he's out there somewhere and I can't find him and he's driving me nuts - nuts do you hear me stark raving absatively posalutely NUTS with no hope in sight for what little remains of my sanity . . . ... .   La la la  !!!

Barbara                 :o
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton