Author Topic: Which of your ancestors have disappeared?  (Read 75573 times)

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Which of your ancestors have disappeared?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 22 January 07 18:42 GMT (UK) »
I've got a Robert West (1837-1910) who is buried in Worthing cemetry, together with his wife Harriett Lambert (1834-1910) and a grandaughter Lily (22-Sep-1892 to 25-Jun-1906). The only problem is that Robert and Harriett had no children. I've found them on every census but no trace of any children.

Mysteriously, they reckon they had a son called Charles who was born in Brighton or Worthing in 1856 (it depends which census you are looking at). He turns up for the first time on the 1881 census living in Epsom, Surrey and by 1891 he is married with chidren in Epsom. Meanwhile, Charles daughters are living with their alleged grandparents in Worthing.

How they managed to have grandchildren without having any children of their own is a mystery. ???

downside
Have you considered getting Charles marriage cert, to see who he names as his father?  I know you said that Robert and Harriett had no children; but there is a couple of the right names and ages, in the 1861 census, whom have a two year old daughter Amelia Ellen (she sadly died in 1861).

It is very interesting that Charles names one of his sons Robert Henry!!  Also Charles was born 2 to 3 years before Robert and Harriett's marriage in 1858.  Possibly born illegitimately, but not by Harriett ???

Anyway hopefully something will turn up for everyone on this thread, I have today, smashed down a brick wall on my husbands side, which has had me stumped for years; the mother of this child having had 5 husbands (that I have found) didn't help!!  By the way MarieC, I have you to thank for this, you had a thread on "Genealogy Gods" and you sent some luck; it took awhile to get here, but it was well worth it.  Thanks :)
Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tigtag

• RootsChat Member
  • The Shah - Captain William Osburn (GGGrandfathe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 22 January 07 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Evening all  :)

My most elusive (or is that most annoying - because I have let her get to  me  ;)) is my great grandmother Sarah Rosa Naomi Osburn b Hull 1880. I have her on all census and her birth.

She married Charles Nicholson in 1905 and had my gran in 1914. Alhough my gran was registered as Rhoda Thomas Nicholson her father was actually Henry Thomas (whomever he may be  ;)) She left  my gran c1919 in (we think) a Catholic orphange in Sheffield!!

I have recently discovered that SRN had four children with Charles that she also abandoned. I am in touch with their children though and we have a reunion planned in a couple of weeks  :)

This is the most exciting find I could have ever anticipated and I am totally over the moon - our familes were totally unbeknown to each other and the only shame is that the siblings are no longer around  :(

HOWEVER, it doesn't answer the question as to where did the bl**dy woman go ??? ??? ??? ??? ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH  ::)

Roll on 2009  ;)

Jo

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 22 January 07 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Wow, four children. That is amazing. My ggg grandmother apparently abandoned her daughter, but I don't think she had any other. Maybe I better look into that now.

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline drodgers34

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 22 January 07 23:28 GMT (UK) »
John Saberton
my only hard evidence for him.

1951 census - Ely St Mary, Camb
Father John  26 b 1825 Barholm Ireland
Mother Mary 22 b 1829 Haverill Sussex
John b 1850 Ely, Camb

1871 Census - Osset West Riding Yorks.
William Saberton 39 b Isleham, Camb. Shoemaker ep 2 men 4 Boys
--------
John Saberton 21 b Ely Camb. Journeyman Shoemaker

Marriage Cert. 23 Dec 1871 Dewsbury
John Saberton 22 Cordwainer of Ossett m Sarah Ann Giggle 18 of Horbury

Birth Cert  1 March 1872 Horbury Lane Ossett
William Saberton father John Saberton (Journeyman Cordwainer) mother Sarah Anne Saberton formerly Giggal - signed with Sarah's mark

Sep 1874 BMD  birth Kate Saberton
Dec 1878 BMD  birth Emma Saberton

1881 Census. Horbury. Northgate West Yorks
George Giggle 67 b 1834  Horbury Head M Labourer foreman woollen
Harriet Giggle 64 b 1818  HorburyWife  M
Sarah A. Saberton 27 b 1854  Horbury, Yorkshire Step Daughter  M Rag picker
William Saberton b 1872  South Ossett Grandson
Kate Saberton b 1875  South Ossett Granddaughter  
Emma Saberton b 1879  Horbury Granddaughter
(No John !)

Mar 1890 BMD birth Harold saberton

1891 Census. Horbury. Northgate
Sarah A Saberton 37 b 1854 Horbury, Head M Rag sorter
William Saberton 19 b 1893 Ossett, Son S Machine Fettler
Kate Saberton 16 b 1875 Ossett, Daur S Rag sorter
Emma Saberton 12 b 1875 Horbury, Daur S
Harold Saberton 1 b 1890 Horbury, Son

Dec 1895 BMD birth Harry Saberton

1901 Census. Horbury Westfield Rd.
Sarah A Saberton  47 b 1854  Horbury, Head   W  Rag sorter  
Kate Saberton 26 b 1875  Ossett,  Daughter  S   Rag sorter
Emma Saberton 22 b 1879  Horbury,  Daughter  S  Glove Machinist
Harold Saberton 11 b 1890  Horbury,  Son  S
Alice M Saberton 8 b1893  Horbury,  Daughter  S
Harry Saberton 5 b 1896  Horbury,  Son  S

Was the explaination of John not being in many Census' he was a Journeyman or just didnt like census ? Or did Sarah Ann just maintain she was married for appearances ? She finally responded to 1901 census as a widow. If John was the husband and father throughout, he would have died beetween 1896 (when Harry Was born) and 1901 Census.

There were only a half dozen or so John Sabertons in the country - but he is still hard to track down !

Offline tigtag

• RootsChat Member
  • The Shah - Captain William Osburn (GGGrandfathe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 22 January 07 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Kath

I always though it was odd that she was married to Charles 9 years before my Gran was born to a different father!! That she was 33 when she had her yet my Gran was an only child!!

Still it shocked the heck out of us all and was wonderful to boot:) If not bittersweet for a dear old lady who always thought she had no-one!

Jo

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 09:32 GMT (UK) »
By the way MarieC, I have you to thank for this, you had a thread on "Genealogy Gods" and you sent some luck; it took awhile to get here, but it was well worth it.  Thanks :)

That's great Katherine!  I've often wondered if my good luck ever arrived at your place!!  I'm so pleased.  Could you send some back, please, for my Edward and Eleanor??  I desperately need it!!  :( :( :'(

It's comforting to know that others are having the same issues with disappearing ancestors that I am!!  Where is this big black hole, that's what I want to know!!!  ??? ??? ???

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 13:19 GMT (UK) »
I have several disappeared ancestors but my favorite is gg uncle James Franklin Ware.  He was a prominent lawyer, state congressman and senator in Wisconsin.  In about 1895, he suddenly picked up and moved to Galveston, Texas with his wife and daughter.  I have no idea why he did so.  He can be found in Galveston with his family on the 1900 census but I can't find him in 1910 or 1920.  By 1920, his wife was calling herself a widow.  Then, in 1930, he was back with his wife.  She was listed as the head of household and he was listed as a "lodger", but this was crossed out and replaced with "relative."  Where did he go?  What was he up to?
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 13:28 GMT (UK) »
By the way MarieC, I have you to thank for this, you had a thread on "Genealogy Gods" and you sent some luck; it took awhile to get here, but it was well worth it.  Thanks :)

That's great Katherine!  I've often wondered if my good luck ever arrived at your place!!  I'm so pleased.  Could you send some back, please, for my Edward and Eleanor??  I desperately need it!!  :( :( :'(

It's comforting to know that others are having the same issues with disappearing ancestors that I am!!  Where is this big black hole, that's what I want to know!!!  ??? ??? ???
MarieC

Wherever it is Marie, you can bet your booties Ernest is still digging it and inviting others in!!

Barbara                  8)
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 16:17 GMT (UK) »
I think my cousin and I are getting a little closer to my disappearing William. If I find him I will search his black hole for anyone else.  ;D

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA