Author Topic: An answer to reducing picture sizes.  (Read 2084 times)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
An answer to reducing picture sizes.
« on: Monday 22 January 07 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Could something please be done about the huge pictures which are posted on some of the boards. I thoroughly enjoy the pictures but find it's a right nuisance having to scroll for miles from left to right to read messages once such a picture has been posted. I've mentioned this matter before but it has not made a lot of difference. Thanks to the Admin on Belfast Forum where we have quite a number of pictures here's a website Shrink Pictures - Reduce Images Online which may assist posters of pictures to solve this problem.

Chris

RootsChat Dublin Meet 22nd to 24th June, 2007

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: An answer to reducing picture sizes.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 January 07 18:47 GMT (UK) »
surprised that RC dont do it automatically as part of the upload process - other forums (non-genealogy) I use do .....
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 January 07 18:56 GMT (UK) »
That's a very helpful link Christopher.  It would be nice if a kind mod would give it some prominence  :)

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 January 07 19:08 GMT (UK) »
surprised that RC dont do it automatically as part of the upload process - other forums (non-genealogy) I use do .....

The problem here is that for purposes such as this Photograph Restoration Board Rootschat allows high resolution full size images and while technically it would be possible to set in motion such a scheme the drain on resources far outweighs the slight benefits gained.

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 January 07 19:12 GMT (UK) »
seems easy enough to suppress the auto-display of a big pic on the Restoration Board - people who want to tinker and fix could click a link ... they have to pull it down to their PCs anyway ...

so that would seem to save resources all round, not drain them ?

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 January 07 19:27 GMT (UK) »
If this board were for any other purpose I might agree with you but some time ago following quite lengthy discussions and trials of various methods of working it was  agreed that the Restoration Board would take its current format.

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 January 07 19:31 GMT (UK) »
then reverse the logic and auto-size any other board but the Restoration one  ;)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 January 07 19:42 GMT (UK) »
That sounds a sensible idea. When a huge picture is posted on a board related to a genealogical query and a search for ancestors it tends to spoil one's train of thought regarding the query. Genforum and one or two other genealogy websites don't have photographs. It's brilliant that RootsChat have photographs as they are an important part of the history of a family but there are several instances where the pictures could be reduced in size.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 January 07 19:59 GMT (UK) »
then reverse the logic and auto-size any other board but the Restoration one  ;)

And I refer you to my first response

PS I've proposed the link provided by Christopher for consideration of a prominent posting in the appropriate Board.