Author Topic: Am i on the right track?  (Read 5882 times)

Offline geordiegal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Am i on the right track?
« on: Monday 22 January 07 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello there, can anyone help me decide if where i'm going is right?
I think i'm going the right way, but i can't find any dates to indicate i'm right, or any definite answers...
My great grandma was Mary Roberts Rogers (this i'm sure of), her father was William Roberts Rogers, (i'm also sure of this), this is where my info gets a bit patchy. I think Williams father was Henry Rogers, born in Gwenap..possibly, and i think he married Elizabeth Matthews, who was born in St. Just. Now i think Henry's father was also Henry, from somewhere in Cornwall, and Elizabeth's father was Edward Matthews, and i'm hoping the marriage i have between him and Mary Roberts is the right one... but i'm not sure!
I'm i researching the right families here and would anyone be able to help me fill in some of my gaps? I'd love any help that anyone can offer... Thanks in advance.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Am i on the right track?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 January 07 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Could you supply some dates please?
 ::)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline geordiegal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 January 07 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Yip, i'll give you the dates i have...
My great grandma, Mary Roberts Rogers was born in November, 1884, and she married Joseph Henry Gerrens in 1912.
Her father, William Roberts Rogers was born about 1857, and he married Mary Jane Pooley in 1880, (Her second marriage).
Williams father, Henry was born about 1824, and he married Elizabeth Matthews in about 1845, she was born about 1824.
Her parents, i think were Edward Matthews and Mary Roberts.
Thats all i have... any ideas?

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 00:04 GMT (UK) »
So to reiterate

Births Mar 1885 
Rogers  Mary Roberts    Whitehaven  10b 619

Marriages Dec 1880   
Howland  Mary Jane    Whitehaven  10b 953   
Rogers  William     Whitehaven  10b 953

Marriages Mar 1872   
Howland  John     Whitehaven  10b 810   
Pooley  Mary Jane     Whitehaven  10b 810

1881 census William R. Rodgers aged 23 iron miner born St. Just Cornwall with wife, Howlands and Pooleys in Arlecdon. Same spelling of the surname in 1891 in Cleator. Same spelling in 1871 in St Just In Penwith when William is with his parents and siblings, father Henry aged 47 born St. Just and Elizabeth aged 47 also born St. Just. Henry was an agricultural labourer. 1861 surname spelt Rogers only change Henry's birthplace of Gwennap. 1851 Henry again gives Gwennap as his birthplace.

Marriages Mar 1845   
MATTHEWS  Elizabeth     Penzance  9 220   
Odgers  Henry     Penzance  9 220

Obviously mispelt in the church register and not an indexing problem

ELIZABETH MATTHEWS 
HENRY ODGERS 
Marriage:  08 MAR 1845   Saint Just In Penwith, Cornwall

So what information does this marriage give about both their fathers? There is a Henry Rogers of about the right age on the 1841 census in Gwennap with what is likely to be his father John a miner. Henry's marriage certificate will help support this census entry or elimiate it and also confirm whether Elizabeth's father was called Edward.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline geordiegal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Valda... Yeh, i've gotten hold of Henry and Elizabeth's marriage certificate, and their fathers were Henry and Edward. So, to find out if Edward Matthews wife was actually Mary Roberts, will i need to get Elizabeth's birth certificate, or can i find out without it?

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 17:53 GMT (UK) »
hi Georgiegal

Your original posting has a lot of 'thinks' and 'abouts' in it!!
As a general rule it is usually best to confirm one person's info for definite, via certificates, parish registers or whatever info can be added, before moving on to the next one - in case you go charging up the wrong track!!!!
 But it looks from Valda's info that it could all be OK.

You wont be able to get Elizabeth's birth cert if she was born in 'about' 1824, as that is before Civil Regisratino began on 1837. It will be looking at parish records for her christening. You have her dad's name from marriage cert, which should help. Or you may be able to find Elizabeth on the 1841 census before her marriage, with her mum and dad if you are lucky.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline geordiegal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz, and thanks for the advice.
Most of the research i have, i got from some distant cousins, so i'm just assuming that its right. However, they only researched up to Henry and Elizabeth, and i'd like to go a bit further if i can. Would it be cheeky of me to ask if someone could have a look on the 1841 census for me to see if they can find Elizabeth?

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 21:02 GMT (UK) »
On the 1851 census Elizabeth's age was 28 (39 in 1861) so birth year circa 1823. The nearest in age of the Eliza/Elizabeth Matthews of the 6 in St. Just in 1841 was aged 14. Elizabeth was aged 19ish by 1841 so you would be expecting her to be working away from home probably as a servant by 1841. You really need to check the St. Just parish registers for potential baptisms for her.
I would never assume someone else's research is right unless it was evidenced. In fact the word 'assume' used in any context in family history is problematical.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline geordiegal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Valda, maybe i should go right back to the beginning eh? Then , if i do arrive at Elizabeth again, i should try and get someone to check  those parish records for me. I live right up in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne so doing myself could be a bit difficult!! Thanks again for all the advice though.