Author Topic: Ontario death 1960's - help!  (Read 2934 times)

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Gretta Coyle 1924 - 2004
    • View Profile
Ontario death 1960's - help!
« on: Monday 22 January 07 19:49 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any reference to the death of Margaret (m.s. Morrison) Stewart, who supposedly died whilst on holiday from Duntocher, DNB, Scotland in Ontario possibly in the 1960's.

Margaret was visiting with her Daughter Betty at the time.

Are there any sources for Ontario deaths in recent years?  (I have the feeling the answer to that is no.)

If that is the case, where/how/what should I be looking for to help gather information on this death?

TIA
Deb

Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Ontario death 1960's - help!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 January 07 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie

Do you know where Betty was living at the time?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 January 07 22:38 GMT (UK) »
sorry Karen, I don't know where Betty was. 
Only that she was in Ontario.  :(
Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie,

Here is a link to the Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid. 

Do you know what Betty's last name was?  Do you think Margaret was buried in Ontario? 

http://www.islandnet.com/ocfa/

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 05:14 GMT (UK) »
If you have access to Toronto Star - Pages of the Past, you may be able to find her death in there. Unfortunately, my library is having some difficulties with this site at the moment. Otherwise, I would have looked it up for you.  The only thing I can do at the moment is to search how many hits. I am unable to see the actual article.

http://thestar.pagesofthepast.ca/

Between January 1st, 1960 & December 31st, 1963 there were no hits.

Between January 1st, 1964 & December 31st, 1969 there was only one Margaret Stewart listed under Births/Deaths/Obits.
(Using exact phrase Stewart Margaret)

Thursday August 21st, 1969

Now this would only apply, if she died somewhere in or around the Toronto area, and provided her family agreed to have it put in the paper.

Here is another death
Margaret Stewart
Nepean, Carlton County
June 15, 1964
Pinecrest Cemetery

http://ogs.andornot.com/cemmenu.htm

This link may give more information to work with.
http://www.collectionscanada.ca/genealogy/022-906.003-e.html

http://www.cbs.gov.on.ca/MCBS/english/births&marriages.htm

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie,

Here is a link to the Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid. 

Do you know what Betty's last name was?  Do you think Margaret was buried in Ontario? 

http://www.islandnet.com/ocfa/

Karen

Thanks for that Karen!  I found one on there that may be worth investigating.  Unfortunately, the OCFA doesn't include the year of death on their listings, but you never know!

Here is the intersting candidate -
Stewart, Margaret (Morrison)  Auld Kirk, Almonte, Lanark, Ramsay.

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 19:07 GMT (UK) »
If you have access to Toronto Star - Pages of the Past, you may be able to find her death in there.
Janice

Many thanks Janice!
I had not heard of the Toronto Star pages of the past.  I don't think any of our libraries have it out here in BC though.
I have never done any research in Ontario before, so this is foreign territory for me!
I'm sorry to say, I don't know what the surname of Betty was - That branch of the family never really kept in contact with the rest of us.  Isn't that always the way with families???

Seeing as Margaret died in Ontario, with her Daughter - I can't see the family going to the expense of shipping her body back to Scotland.
And It would seem likely that they would put the obit in the paper - so the Toronto Star may well hold the key.

if it comes back on line in your library, I would really appreciate the look up!

TIA
Deb

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 20:23 GMT (UK) »

Here is the intersting candidate -
Stewart, Margaret (Morrison) Auld Kirk, Almonte, Lanark, Ramsay.

The coordinator of the Lanark County GenWeb page does cemetery look-ups for a small fee to cover gas money.  Auld Kirk is on her list...

http://www.rootsweb.com/~onlanark/cemeteries/index.htm

MJP
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 20:39 GMT (UK) »
I contacted the LCGS last night, and this morning they got back to me with the details of that stone.  Unfortunately, it is not my Margaret.

Uncannily close though!!  The stone was for a Margaret Morrison, who was married to a John Stewart.....   Not my couple though. 

I really commend the folks at the LCGS - Gary the webmaster in particular - for their awesome response!
He got back to me with lots of info regarding the headstone, and even sent me some obits as well.