Author Topic: Willam Merritt Gillam  (Read 27592 times)

Offline Pete44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Willam Merritt Gillam
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 03 February 07 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan

Many thanks for the info, none of the names you mention link in with what I have, at the moment anyway, I will keep your info for future ref.

Many thanks
Pete

Offline Pete44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 03 February 07 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

Thanks for that, I am planning to visit Countesthorpe later in the year I will try to track her down, I have several names from the early 1800's but as yet cannot find a positive link.

Offline Pete44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 03 February 07 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Debbie

Thanks for the reply, the 'Soap' connection I'm afraid I don't know anymore than you but my Mother has confirmed Wm M had something to do with soap at one time nothing more.

I have been thru my old letters again, dated 1907, appears sent from a cousin to a Wm Gillam and has a  Genealogy theme mentioning names including a family that has a Wm b.1805, I have estimated Capt Wm Gillam of the Braemar as being born 1810, could be the same I don't know.

Unless something turns up in the meantime don't think I am going to find the link I'm after until I visit Countesthorpe

Pete

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 03 February 07 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter

Using the William 1805 Info - I had a play on the family search site  and turned up what looks like your family in the pedigree resource file section - if you go to that section and put   1165036-0506101024122  in the submission number box and Gillam in the surname box - don't fill out anything else just hit search it turns up a list of 127 Gillam submitted as the family of someone in Australia - they include William born 1841 who married Meredith Buller and his father William born 1805 who married ? Plum (they obviously had not found her first name)  it then goes back for a further nine generations - obviously it would need checking but it might give you a very good place to start

:D

Debbie
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janmoore

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 03 February 07 13:43 GMT (UK) »
There's still the other 9 pages on google hits Gillam + Countesthorpe - perhaps there'll be a nugget in there somewhere.

Mike on this board is a mine of information and may be able to help.

Jan

Durham: Small, Jackson, Mackings, Hedley, Bell
Leicestershire: Moore, Burrows, Upton, Flamson
London: Lock, Seton, Goldacre, Ervin
Yorkshire: Normandale, Machin/Mackin/Mackings

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 04 February 07 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Me again Pete

I have had a play with the file from the pedegree resources mentioned above and it is looking good - if the info is correct  it has Thomas Gillam born 1775 marrying Elizabeth Robinson and them having the following children

Thomas Meadows Gillam in 1804 who went to Australia and was the ancestor of the person who put the info there
William in 1805 - who I think is your William
Eliza 1806 who married M Leggatt Gilbart
Mary Ann 1808 who married William Dowell
Jane 1809 who married John (or Peter) Reid
John Gent Gillam 1812 who married Sarah Illiffe and worked for the railways
Harriot 1814 who married George Robson
Katherine Anna 1815 - may have died young
Anna 1818 who married ? Dehrang
Sophia Ann 1819 who married M. J. Morallee
Elizabeth 1821 who married Joseph Grant
Bennett Thomas Gillam in 1824 - worked for the railways and died in 1906 in Kent

About William Gillam born 1805 it says Captain and Owner of the good ship "Joan of Arc" for years, took to the sea as a proffession and a date of death of 13th May 1859.

It may be that the Australian branch also have letters or papers that mention details of the family for them to have all this information.

Thomas Gillam born 1775 was buried in Countesthorpe 15th September 1833 aged 58 - of 'care and gout'

Debbie

Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Offline Pete44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 05 February 07 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Debbie

Many Many thanks I think you've cracked it, the one site I had overlooked and the info was there but I'm learning fast.

The list of names you gave me matches the fading handwritten note I have written in 1905.
The envolope reads ' List of my Father's brothers and sisters copied by my Mother' Signed W Gillam Oct 05.

I don't have time to study it at the moment but will definately follow it though, and yes I do know of an Australian connection W M Gillam's son Basil spent most of his life there, his, and his wifes ashes where brought back and interned at Countesthorpe Church.

Pete

Offline king william

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 19 January 09 06:29 GMT (UK) »
I am looking at the history of my children's line - their great grandfather was Edward Mortimer Gillam Maurice born 1859 in Plymouth, Devon. He emigrated to New Zealand and died in Te Kaha in 1926.
He was a son of Mortimer Maurice and Lavinia Riley who married in 1855 in Clifton, Bristol.
Edward was a grandson of Catherine Cromwell and Mortimer Maurice both born about 1799/1800 and who married in August 1821 in Bristol.
I am certain that Benjamin Gillam Maurice would be a brother of Mortimer, and that Mortimer's parents were Joseph Maurice and Elizabeth Gillam.
Can anyone give me any more details of this family -  I know the family were in the ministry as Mortimer Jnr. was a minister of religion, and in an online article I saw recently, Mortimer Snr  was a substitute minister at Bridgewater.
I have also seen much on the internet of a Frederick Denison Maurice, also in the ministry who was a son of Michael Maurice and Priscilla Hurry.
Any further information very welcome.
Robin
Wiltshire, Somerset, Gloucestershire - Busshe/Bushe/Bush, Le Strange/Strange, Whittington, Gunning, Browning, Maltravers
Shropshire - le Strange
Wales - Daylwyn or Deulwyn, Rede, Wirriott,
East Sussex - Catt, Ashdown, Barham, Henley, Hepden, Elliott, Phillips
London - Bush, King, Millis, Jarvis, Mellis(s)
Suffolk - Sewell, Baxter, Martin
Norfolk  - Sewell, Larter, Howlett
Tasmania, Australia - Bossward, Wellman
Worcestershire - Beach
Wales, Bristol, Bermondsey - Maurice, Cromwell, Riley

Offline Shorttie6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 31 May 10 09:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie and Pete

I have just read the info on the Gillams