Author Topic: 2nd Marriage Look Up, Liverpool, Smith. Completed Thank You  (Read 2369 times)

Offline Scouse

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
2nd Marriage Look Up, Liverpool, Smith. Completed Thank You
« on: Wednesday 24 January 07 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Alfred Smith D.O.B. 1820 L/pool.
Eliza Hickey D.O.B. 1821  Ireland

Alfred Smith married Eliza Hickey       Shipwright
St Nicholas Church L/pool.
They had 3 children, the last being born 1847.

1851 census Greenland St L/pool
Alfred Smith, age 31 yrs Widower, Lodger.    Shipwright

1851 census Higher Bebington Cheshire.
The 3 Children are staying with their Grandparents.

1861 census 24 Dalrymple St L/pool
Alfred Smith head age 41 yrs   Shipwright
Elizabeth Smith Wife age 30 yrs
William Smith Son age 2 yrs.

Any help in tracing the second marriage greatly appreciated.
Elizabeth's maiden name would fill in the holes in my tree.
I have tried the usual avenues,  ie L.D.S.  I.G.I. but without success.

KInd regards Scouse
Smith, Davies, Myers, Hickey, Hunt, Maxwell, Bennett, Harrison, Mitchell, Gill, Peers, Young, Jardine Scott, Patterson, Williams, Roberts, McNally, Critchley, Nicholas, LLoyd, Cowley, Hanks, Wilson, Burgess, Standen,
Liverpool. Ireland. Scotland. New Zealand.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Marriage Look Up, Liverpool, Smith.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Smith is always a difficult one.  I should write to the local register office in Liverpool (or wherever it says William was born) and ask them to look for the birth of William as you know an approximate date.  Specify that he must be a son of Alfred, a shipwright, and that should be enough to make sure you get the right one.  Check on later census and make sure his age stays within that range .  Once you have that certificate you will have Elizabeth's maiden name and can look for the marriage.    The local office do not usually charge for a search of five years or so.   All BMDs are free to search on ancestry.co.uk, choose the full version.
Andrea

Offline Scouse

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 19:00 GMT (UK) »
HI Andrea

Thank you for the advice, I will certainly follow up on your tips,

I feel quite a dope now, I was home in L/pool last week for a couple of day's and actually visited the Records Office on a different matter, it just goes to show that you should check all your reseach before you set off. but sometimes things are as clear as mud.
and yes the ages do stay the same up till 1881
Kind Regards Scouse. :)
Smith, Davies, Myers, Hickey, Hunt, Maxwell, Bennett, Harrison, Mitchell, Gill, Peers, Young, Jardine Scott, Patterson, Williams, Roberts, McNally, Critchley, Nicholas, LLoyd, Cowley, Hanks, Wilson, Burgess, Standen,

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 19:18 GMT (UK) »
I don't know whether this is of any use but I searched the 1861 Lancs for all Alfred Smith's with a wife Elizabeth - only yours turned up.  In fact - nationally - there were only 30 entries

There is an 1854 (March qtr) marriage on freebmd for Alfred Smith & Elizabeth Harrison Liverpool 8B 129 but I would have thought they would have had more children than William by 1861

Did William die pre-1871 as they have Elizabeth 7 Alfred 5 Joseph James 2 and Amy Jane 5 ?? months in 1871.  The age in the column is 5 but then MO has been written in the occupation section

No birth in either the December qtr 1870 or March qtr 1871 for an Amy Jane Smith but it may be easier looking for her birth than William's
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Scouse

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole.

Regarding the 1871, I have the same info as you.
Do you know that I have had that 1854 marriage for about a yr now, but I was of the same opinion as you that they maybe would of had some kids before William, I think you may have a point regarding his demise though.
The reason I kept the Elizabeth Harrison 1854 marriage,was that my Grandfather who was born in 1886, was the son of young Alfred Born 1866, and my grandfathers name was James Harrison Smith, some coincidence.

Thank you for your help.
Kind Regards  Scouse  :) 

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is no birth for an Amy Jane Smith in Liverpool 1865 or 1866 - full GRO index checked

She does not appear with the family in 1881 either

have another look at the 1871 image and think of ANN Jane  - see IGI entry below

Ann Jane Smith 

Christening:  11 DEC 1870   St Mary's, Kirkdale     
Father:  Alfred Smith    Mother:  Elizabeth Smith 

GRO index shows Ann Jane Smith December qtr 1870 West Derby 8B 351 but as a precaution, I would put a condition on your application that you only want it if parents were Alfred & Elizabeth
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Scouse

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 January 07 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole.

Using the same criteria, that you and Andrea have suggested, ie> asking for the father & mothers names before getting a copy of Birth Cert, can I use the same system for the 1854 marriage, asking for Alfreds Occupation on the Cert, if I can, and he turns out to be a Shipwright, that would be the clincher.

What do you advise, Kind Regards  Scouse.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 January 07 16:11 GMT (UK) »
I think that as long as you use the local office you can ask for any check and they will not charge extra.  The GRO have a set form with space for checking criteria but they do charge.
Andrea

Offline Scouse

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 January 07 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrea.

Thank you for your reply, I am going to have to leave it till tomorrow now, I will send them an E mail, the dealings I have had with the Liverpool record office, they have always been very helpful.

Kind Regards  Scouse.