Author Topic: "In the future"  (Read 13562 times)

Offline c w

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
"In the future"
« on: Saturday 20 November 04 22:54 GMT (UK) »
I just wondered what will be made of the names we give our children today, in the years to come.  I have always had the desire to give my children relatively unusual names.  However, soap operas and the like,
came along and undermined my plan!  I gave my daughters the names Alexis, Bianca, Cherish and Seren Haf. 
I have recently discovered this passion for being a little different did not begin with myself.I have ancestors with names - Lucretia; Margarita Castella: Rather exotic for Welsh families don't you think?

c w
Chidgey (west Somerset)
Morgan(Radnorshire & Tredegar, Mon.)
Griffiths (Tredegar, Mon.)
Morgan (Monmouthshire)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
Re: "In the future"
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 November 04 00:49 GMT (UK) »

I am somewhat alarmed by the popular trend of giving kids
weird names. I mean 'Apple'?? It's enough to give the child a complex. :o

I work with children and I have to ask how to spell even the common names because there is now a variation on the theme -

Bilynda, Erikka, Kortney etc - and that's just the girls!

A really cute name is fine for a little baby but I always imagine them later in life in the doctor's waiting room. The nurse calls out  "Peaches Boo Buttercup Jones - and a little old lady staggers to her feet.........

Darcy ;)
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 November 04 08:48 GMT (UK) »
  I think it's good to have an unusual name - pity my parents didn't.....

I gave my daughter an unusual name (at the time) of Eloise Jayne ...... so she could use 'Jane' if she wanted a plain name ! ...she get's Ellie mostly...and today that seems really common with little tots !

I thought a girl should have an unusual name and a boy a good solid name......... so I called my son Mark Richard
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 November 04 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Personally I think the 'unusual' names are often ridiculous and I can only sympathise with the poor mites who have to grow up with these names.   They will go through life answering the question "how do you spell that?", their schoolmates will abbreviate and bastardise it beyond recognition and they will probably bear a lifelong grudge against their parents for giving it to them.

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 November 04 18:33 GMT (UK) »
I can assure you my daughter is not a poor mite....or is her name ridiculous....or does she have any problem with it thank you....it's better than being boring !   AND people remember her name !!!!
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline teddybear1843

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 November 04 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Names.

I always think about my Mum who is Audrey, Grandmothers who were Norah & Edith and Aunts Eileen, Brenda, Barbara & Jean.  On the male side I have Robert, Donald, Geoffrey, Edward & David.

I don't need to look far for the birth dates for Edith or Norah as they had to be about 1910 and Audrey had to be in the Thirties and my other aunts had to be Thirties & Forties but the male's names are not datable.

We still have Robert, Edward, David etc in school today but no Audrey, Edith, Norah etc.

Just look at your own families and see how "datable" your names are for the last few generations.

Teddybear
Bear, Burrows, Burroughs, Goll, Mayes, Yull, Bacon, Harvey, Fenn, Youngman, Jary, Lake, Chesney, Yaxley, Freestone, Briggs, Carrington, Frarey, Blaxter, Bennefer, Gosman, Howard, Wildman, Woodbine, Jessop, Taylor, Walpole, etc etc  all in Norfolk.
Weasenham village history and families connected to the villages of Weasenham All Saints & Saint Peter in Norfolk.  Happy to carry out research in Norfolk.  Please PM for details.

Offline Annahannah

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 November 04 19:33 GMT (UK) »

My Ggran named her daughters Daisy, Rose, May, and Lily.

Her sons were Arthur and Charles.

You might find a Rose these days, but the others are much less common.

Anna
Tharratt, Smith - London
Canham, Harvey, Ship - Suffolk
Higgins. Bowden, Ayres/Eyre - Buckingham
McDonald - Scotland, Africa, Canada, USA

Offline c w

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 November 04 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Darcy may have a point, "Peaches Boo Buttercup" may be a little much, even for me.  However, why chose a name which may be shared with many of your child's classmates when there are so many wonderful names available.
I have had both an unusual maiden and married name and have been asked "how do you spell that ?" countless times, but it has done me any harm.  Well, not that I have noticed!

c w
Chidgey (west Somerset)
Morgan(Radnorshire & Tredegar, Mon.)
Griffiths (Tredegar, Mon.)
Morgan (Monmouthshire)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 November 04 20:01 GMT (UK) »
I can assure you my daughter is not a poor mite....or is her name ridiculous....or does she have any problem with it thank you....it's better than being boring !   AND people remember her name !!!!

Kathy

You seem to have taken my comments personally, which is far from what I intended.   They are purely my own thoughts on the subect
of the thread - and we are all entitled to voice our opinions.   Please do not assume that I was responding to your posting alone.   For the record I actually think the name you gave your daughter is very nice!

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk