Author Topic: "In the future"  (Read 13602 times)

Offline c w

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: "In the future"
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 28 November 04 22:09 GMT (UK) »
hello jax,

Be thankful she was not shopping at Somerfield, Safeway, Iceland or worse still Kwik Save .

What would she have called the poor child then?

Perhaps others would suggest a few names.  I have already learnt most on this board have quite the sense of humour.

c w
Chidgey (west Somerset)
Morgan(Radnorshire & Tredegar, Mon.)
Griffiths (Tredegar, Mon.)
Morgan (Monmouthshire)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 28 November 04 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi c w,

With the dafter names about now,  Apple springs to mind,  it can only be a matter of time before we hear of a Kwik.

I used to love the old flower names until I was told that when girls with Welsh names went into service abroad (England) in the Victorian era,  their employers could not pronounce the likes of Rhiannon,  Eirian,  Ffion or Gwenllian so renamed them with popular flower names like Lily and Rose.  Went off them a bit then.  :(

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline c w

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 28 November 04 23:42 GMT (UK) »
hi kazza
where I am Ffion  is now very popular and my own daughter is called Seren Haf. I however must admit she was born in December, but the Haf seemed to fit so well, also the midwife was called Haf. 

Could I also ask you a question?  I am ashamedly not a Welsh speaker; Is there an accent over the "A" in Haf, asI have heard various oppinions? !

thanks

c w
Chidgey (west Somerset)
Morgan (Monmouthshire)

Offline Kazza

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 28 November 04 23:47 GMT (UK) »
c w,

I am also not a Welsh speaker sorry,  I am no help.  ::) 

Trystan and D ap D would know,  Amy K probably would too.

Haf is a lovely name,   ;D  My daughter chose Ffion for her chistening name herself so I love it.

And if I have another daughter I want to call her Seren,  it such a beautiful name.  8)

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline c w

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 29 November 04 00:02 GMT (UK) »
sorry kazza

thought out of my own shame that you might be a Welsh speaker, but hope I did not offend you.

My Seren has the right name as she is quite the little "Star", if you know what I mean.

I gave her that name as just before she was due, my husband and myself travelled up to Scarborough for a short break.  Whilst we were there I  thought I may be going into labour. Not wanting my child to be born in England (my apologises to the English here!) I wanted to return home.

Luckily it was a false alarm! However, when she was born I had a great urge to give her a Welsh name.
Chidgey (west Somerset)
Morgan (Monmouthshire)

Offline Kazza

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 29 November 04 00:28 GMT (UK) »
c w,

No offence taken,  I would love to be a Welsh speaker,  but being born and brought up in Cardiff I had no chance.  ::)

Seren has been a favourite name of mine since meeting a beautiful little girl of the name,  I am a star you know,  she announced.  I replied that I could see she was,  No,  in a special way she said,  I am a real Welsh star - Seren,  she said.  It was even cuter as she had no front teeth.  ;D

K.  ;)
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:

Area Interests:

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 29 November 04 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi  c w,

I was going to take offense at your comments about not wanting your child born in England - being English only - but having learned this week about my Scottish, Isle of Man and maybe even a bit of Welsh in me- I won't bother ;D ;D ;D

Cheers

Keith

Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline Kazza

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 29 November 04 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Keith,

I am sure c w was only concerned that the child's eligibility to play for Wales not be effected.  ;D

K. ;)
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:

Area Interests:

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 29 November 04 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Yep

They need all the choices they can get  ;D ;D ;D

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails