Author Topic: "In the future"  (Read 13615 times)

Offline GRACELAND

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Elvis Presley* ARTIST OF THE CENTURY..*
    • View Profile
Re: "In the future"
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 November 04 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Every one is entitled to there own opinion on names ,but the two names Kathy chose seem OK but wot i think Jill was trying too say was there are some Crazy names nowadays out there !!  ???
God Knew Elvis was Tired so he called him to rest !................
"I like it well done, Cooked. I ain't orderin' a pet."
--Elvis Presley, On Meat
"Don't be like nobody else or you'll be livin' a lie, and that ain't livin'."
--Elvis Presley, On Individuality

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 November 04 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Spot on Graceland!

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 November 04 07:56 GMT (UK) »
that's okay then.........sorry ! ....just having a 'maternal moment'

my Mum was names Doris .......can't say that there are many today ....

in the family tree we have lots of Alice's ....I now have a niece called Alice - which I think is lovely

My gran was called Elsie - again I think it is a lovely name - she hated it - but it is not one that had been revived is it ?  My 'Eloise' is the nearest I was 'allowed' to get !
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline minime

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 November 04 14:26 GMT (UK) »
My daughter's name is Ariel, after the little mermaid. (Pronounced how Sebastian the crab pronounces it.)  However, it does get butchered quite often, but she seems to adapted fine. ( Anything from being called Oreo to the same pronucitation as a TV antenna.)
  I wanted her to be unique, but, Ariel became a quite popular name. The scarey thing was, however, when we moved into this area...I discovered that there was not only another Ariel, but this girl had the same middle and last name as my daughter. Doctor's offices for the longest time had to identify them with birth dates only.   :'(

My son, however, is Austin. Quite common, but Daddy's choice. LOL!!!!  ;D

Minime
Birchall, Cooper, Kearns, Hope, Desmarias
Scotland, England, Ireland, Canada?, France?

Offline GRACELAND

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Elvis Presley* ARTIST OF THE CENTURY..*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 November 04 14:48 GMT (UK) »
  ;D         I sse ariel s are being phased out in favor of sattalite dishes and cable tv  ;D
God Knew Elvis was Tired so he called him to rest !................
"I like it well done, Cooked. I ain't orderin' a pet."
--Elvis Presley, On Meat
"Don't be like nobody else or you'll be livin' a lie, and that ain't livin'."
--Elvis Presley, On Individuality

Offline minime

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 November 04 17:50 GMT (UK) »
LOL Graceland. I'm sure my daughter will be thrilled to hear that one.  ;D

Minime
Birchall, Cooper, Kearns, Hope, Desmarias
Scotland, England, Ireland, Canada?, France?

Offline tabitha

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 November 04 18:09 GMT (UK) »
My two are Saul & Georgina. We wanted names that were a little bit unusual without being outrageous. As yet neither of them has come across another child with the same name ....I'm sure they will but it's unlikely there will be two or three in the same class at school!! We did try to think how they would feel as adults with their names and settled on two "older" but less used names  :)

tabitha
Bevan, Hill, Tustin, Watkins, Teague (Herefordshire, Radnorshire). Rockett, Lillycrap, Govett, Gready, Saunders (Somerset). Sussex, Smale (Devon). Oliver, Kennedy, Cummings, Wright (Co. Durham). Farish (Cumberland, Scotland). Cox (London, Middlessex, Buckinghamshire).

Offline yorkshirelass

• I am sorry but my email is not working anymore
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 22 November 04 19:13 GMT (UK) »

A really cute name is fine for a little baby but I always imagine them later in life in the doctor's waiting room. The nurse calls out  "Peaches Boo Buttercup Jones - and a little old lady staggers to her feet.........

Darcy ;)

ha ha ha can just picture it

I dont think it matters whether the names are old or modern, some are nice some are just bad choices. Apple i agree is really bad. But i wouldn't choose Gladys either. I'd feel i'd have to dye her hair white and put rollers in.

Sorry to Gladys's.

Another thing is, when you think of a name you always think of someone you know by that name. Going through lists of names "nah cant have that, lass at school with b/o was called that" and so on lol

Choosing an unusual name in a way makes them unique. Unless there's a kid in the same class by the same name with b/o then you'd wish you called her Gladys lol

Offline nora T

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 23 November 04 11:42 GMT (UK) »
as i have said before on roots chat, my youngest son, and his son, are both named heathcliffe, and both like their names, and have found them an advantage,  but what i think is a bit odd , is  old names like nelly, are laughed at , but alter one letter, to  kelly, and thats ok,  regards {old name}  nora T ::)
i am researching the timmis family salop. staffs, and cheshire, also the culverwell family, congleton cheshire,and staffs.also jervis, jarvis, staffs and wales,also reece, staffs and dudley