Author Topic: Died in Cullen 1881 and 1885 - Mckenzie and Carr  (Read 1752 times)

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Died in Cullen 1881 and 1885 - Mckenzie and Carr
« on: Thursday 25 January 07 11:06 GMT (UK) »
I have the death dates of two people who lived and died in Cullen in the 1880s  Is there a phone number I could contact to find where  their burials took place and if there would be a charge for looking them up.  Some authorities do the look up but I am not sure if they all do. 

Back in the 1880s did most people get buried where they died or did they get buried where they were born if it was not too far away.

Any advice greatly appreciated.  I would like to visit the graves on my next visit to the area.

Cheers
Betty

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Died in Cullen 1881 and 1885 - Mckenzie and Carr
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 January 07 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Betty

If you look here and go to Kirkyard Index, under Cullen MIs:

http://www.abdnet.co.uk/mi-index/

you will see an Alexander, Jessie and Ann McKenzie listed. Whether they are yours or not I can't say.

I re checked the death certs but it just said 'registered Cullen'. The only other possibility is to check the lair books (list of grave plots) for Cullen. I'm not sure where these would be kept. They are usually with the local authority.

Regards

Gadget

* Added - not yours Alexander was 1840 and Jessie 1857 and Ann 1818  :(
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 January 07 12:42 GMT (UK) »
That is a geat site you quoted.  Unfortunately I have never found anybody connected to us.  One day!!

Thanks for your time.

Cheers
Betty

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 January 07 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Betty

I've found that the Aberdeen City Archives will probably have the lair books for Banffshire. It might be worth giving them a ring:

Aberdeen City Archives
Town House
Aberdeen
AB9 1AQ

Telephone - 01224 522513
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 January 07 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the phone number.  I gave it a ring.  Unfortunately they do not have records for Cullen.  She gave me another number 01261 813439 which I rang.  After giving him the details I found there would be a 10 an hour research fee.  I have decided to leave this at the moment as he was a bit vague as to whether they dealt with the Cullen area.

You might get this message three times as I lost it while I was looking for something else.  Oops!!

Betty

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I HAVE edited my profile - several times!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 February 07 21:16 GMT (UK) »
The Cullen burial ground books are held by Moray Council, because Cullen, along with most parishes in the county of Banff, became part of the 'new' Moray in the 1975 reorganisation of local government.

They can be consulted on microfilm in the Moray Local Heritage Centre in Elgin. See http://www.moray.gov.uk/LocalHeritage/index.html
Researching

AITKENHEAD, Lanarkshire; BINNY, Forfar; BLACK, New Monkland; BRYSON, Cumbernauld; BURGESS, North-East Scotland; CRUICKSHANK, Rothes; DALLAS, Botriphnie; DAVIDSON, Oyne; GUTHRIE, Angus; HOGG, Larbert; LESLIE, Rothes/Mortlach; MENDUM, England; MOLLISON, Lethnot; PATERSON, Larbert; RHIND, Forfar; SANG, Scotland; SCOTT, East Kilbride; STOR(R)I/E/Y, Shotts; THORNTON, Shotts; WADDELL, New Monkland; WILKIE, New Monkland; WILKIE, Tannadice; WYLLIE, Angus; YOUNG, Keith

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 February 07 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for getting back to me on this query.

I will pay them a visit on our next trip to Elgin.

Thanks for your help.

Regards
Betty