Author Topic: Families in Selkirk with the last name Young  (Read 3117 times)

Offline colin72

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Families in Selkirk with the last name Young
« on: Saturday 27 January 07 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for further information in regard to three specific families with the last name Young whom lived in Selkirk during that 1890 through 1950 time period, perhaps still living there today. Let me include the details that I currently have.

George Young (born about 1870 - died 08 Nov 1906, Selkrik) son of Stewart Young, stepson of Andrew Horsburgh married Emily Cochrane (born 15 Jan 1872, Edinburgh - died 1951, Galashiels) daughter of Moses Cochrane and Marion McBain on 29 Dec 1893 at Heatherlie View, Selkirk.

George and Emily Young had two sons, George Young (born about 1901) and Alexander Cochrane Young (born about 1905). I am taking a guess that both George and Alexander Young were both born in Selkirk. The two marriage records for the sons are as follows:

Alexander Cochrane Young and Agnes Smith Scott were married on April 13, 1928 in Selkirk at 4 Clifton Road. Alexander Cochrane Young was listed as being a cabinetmaker, and his usual residence was 21 Angle Park Terrace in Edinburgh, Scotland. Agnes Smith Scott, 21 years old, daughter of William Scott and Annie Mitchell was listed as being a hosiery factory worker, and her usual residence was at 4 Clifton Road in Selkirk, Scotland.

Witnesses listed for the marriage were Mitchell Scott of 4 Clifton Road, Selkirk and George Young of 26 Yarrow Terrace, Selkirk.

George Young and Matilda Mullins were married on January 25, 1930 at St. Philips Church in Edinburgh near Broughton Road. George Young was listed as being a Tweed Millworker, and his usual residence was 26 Yarrow Terrace in Selkirk, Scotland. Matilda Mullins, 37 years old, daughter of Lizzie Mullins was listed as being a Tweed Millworker, and her usual residence was at Forest Road in Selkirk, Scotland.

Witnesses listed for the marriage were Robert Irvine of 20 Dickson Street, Hawick and Alice Scott of 45 Tower Street, Selkirk.

It is my understanding that George Young and Matilda Mullins had a son named George Young.

It is also my understanding that Alexander Cochrane Young and Agnes Smith Scott had the following children: George Young, William Young, Emily Young and Elma Young.

If there is anyone reading this message who sees a connection to any of the above Young families, I look forward to hearing from you!