Author Topic: Melbourne Market Gardeners  (Read 25361 times)

Offline BoaMan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Melbourne Market Gardeners
« on: Saturday 27 January 07 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know what sort of crops the Market Gardeners around Melbourne would have grown in the late 1800's or early 1900's ?
Jackson
Laxton
Middleton
Gilbert
Bloor
Sutton
Hartshorne, Derbyshire
Melbourne, Derbyshire
Church Gresley
Swadlincote

Offline MickMac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Melbourne Market Gardeners
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 March 07 18:58 GMT (UK) »
I suspect that it was probably traditional Vegetables, Fruit and Flowers to supply to the markets in Derby & Nottingham.

I have ancestors who were Market Gardeners in Melbourne - you too?
Barker (Staffs & Derby), Horsley (Derbyshire), Pass, (Derbyshire), Chisholm (Derbyshire & Scotland), Denton (Bedfords & Derbyshire), Wileman (Derby), Wood (Derby), Straw (Notts), Rudkin (Leics), McDermott, (Cavan), Lawler (Meath)

Offline BoaMan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 March 07 17:01 GMT (UK) »
I don't know about Nottingham or Derby I know one of them was a regular at Burton Market - I recently found an advert in the paper from November 1893 where he was selling Holly Bushes - he had 4,000 stock of differing sizes.

What family were your Market Gardeners?
Jackson
Laxton
Middleton
Gilbert
Bloor
Sutton
Hartshorne, Derbyshire
Melbourne, Derbyshire
Church Gresley
Swadlincote

Offline MickMac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 March 07 19:00 GMT (UK) »
The family were called Horsley. I seem to have a lot of ancestry around that area. The other major family are the Pass's.
Barker (Staffs & Derby), Horsley (Derbyshire), Pass, (Derbyshire), Chisholm (Derbyshire & Scotland), Denton (Bedfords & Derbyshire), Wileman (Derby), Wood (Derby), Straw (Notts), Rudkin (Leics), McDermott, (Cavan), Lawler (Meath)

Offline BoaMan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 March 07 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mick

I have a connection with the Pass family.... although somewhat faint

Mary Pass b1846 Melbourne married Thomas 'Wangups' Jackson of Melbourne

Thomas was the son of my Gt Gt Gt Grandfather's elder brother.
Jackson
Laxton
Middleton
Gilbert
Bloor
Sutton
Hartshorne, Derbyshire
Melbourne, Derbyshire
Church Gresley
Swadlincote

Offline MickMac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 March 07 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Mary was the Daughter of Samuel Pass (B 1817 Melbourne). Ive been trying to link him to my tree for a while.  :)

My Horsley ancestors are descended from the illegitimate son of Sarah Ann Pass also born 1846 in Melbourne. He was called John Pass until later in life when he took the name John Horsley Pass and then quietly dropped the Pass later.

Sarah was a maid for the Horsley family so my working theory is that one of the Horsley's was the father.

Offline BoaMan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 June 07 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hi MickMac

I just replied to another thread then re-discovered this one... I didn't realise we'd already spoke about the Pass connection but also didn't make the connection with the Horslet family - My Gt GT Gt Grandmother was Millicent Horsley daughter of James Horsley c1780

Do you have much information on the Horsley family? - is Millicent amongst them?
Jackson
Laxton
Middleton
Gilbert
Bloor
Sutton
Hartshorne, Derbyshire
Melbourne, Derbyshire
Church Gresley
Swadlincote

Offline MickMac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 June 07 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi BoaMan

I'm currently on holiday o I can't check my tree. I'll reply properly when I return.

I have a lot of Horsley stuff.

Mick

Offline MickMac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 July 07 20:03 BST (UK) »
Millicent Horsley is the daughter of James & Ann Horsley. Married Robert Sutton in 1821. The problem I have is linking James Horsley into the Tree. I have a James Horsley who may be his father if he was born around 1782, but I havent been able to establish this link. The earlier James was married to a Mary Pass by the way!  :D