Author Topic: Polsom - any help please!  (Read 24087 times)

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Polsom - any help please!
« on: Saturday 27 January 07 20:08 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace when this family left the UK.

George Polsom born 1874 Gloucestershire
Harriet Elizabath Polsom born 1877 Bream
Thomas George Polsom born March 1897 in Barry Glamorgan
George Polsom born 1898 in Barry Glamorgan

They were in Wales in 1901 and Thomas George signed up for the Canadian army in 1916.  His residence at that time was Indian Head, Sask.

Any help would be great as I am well and truly stuck.

Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Polsom - any help please!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 January 07 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nicky,

Have you already looked on Ancestry.com?

Best Wishes, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 January 07 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Romilly, I have looked and there are entries for the name Polsom but I only have a subscription to ancestry.co.uk

I have tried many sites but am not getting very far, so do wonder what the entries on ancestry.com are!

Any help is appreciated.

Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 January 07 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nicky,

I did have an annual subscription to Ancestry.com, but it expired at Christmas!

However, there are lots of folks on here who suscribe, - & so I'm sure that someone will help you out. Have you tried looking at the Beta list though? (Its free).

Best of Luck, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 January 07 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nicky,

I checked for your Polsom's in the 1911 Canada census, and I wasn't able to see them there.  You can check for yourself at www.automatedgenealogy.com

If they were not in Canada in 1911, then that narrows down your search a bit from 1911 to 1916  :)

JJ and Jeffandro are from Sask. so they may be able to help you find them.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 January 07 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen

Many thanks, hadnt found that site.

That helps with narrowing search down, i always thought it was a family tale that they had gone to Canada, until I found the sign up papers of Thomas George in 1916!

nicky

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 January 07 22:23 GMT (UK) »
No problem Nicky,

You can search the passenger lists here

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/passenger/001045-130-e.html

they are not indexed, so you have to go page by page.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline jeffster

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 January 07 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Speaking of me  ;D

Hello Nicky,

As Saskatchewan is a very small and young province alot of the information is kept private or very hard to find.  But I was able to find 1 reference to a George Polsom on one site I frequent.  This province has a bunch of old township history books scanned and put online, it is by no means complete but Indian Head was on there.

http://www.ourroots.ca/e/page.aspx?id=546668

Further... I checked Regina's newspaper index and found 2 death notices in the paper, one a George died in 1999 and the other a Sylvia?? 

Lastly checking this site

http://www.canada411.ca      or
http://www.whitepages.ca

I find about 7/8 Polsoms living in Regina.  You maybe related to Coopers in Indian Head too.

BTW Karen, J.J. is from Winterpeg I believe I'm one of the few from Saskatchewan.  It said in that write up Karen they were homesteading at Township 19 Range 12 W2 which is just a stone throws away ....will check the copy at CGC website

Jeff

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 January 07 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jeff

I  really appreciate this, like I said I thought it was family tales that said my Great GreatAunt emigrated!
This is a real step forward, I will take a look right now at the links you have posted.
Many thanks.
nicky