Author Topic: Hi new member  (Read 7387 times)

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Elias Saundie (Soundie) and Jane Heeley
    • View Profile
Hi new member
« on: Saturday 28 February 04 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi there i'm new to all this so bear with me. Picked up info about this site at the Family History Fair in Northwich today. I have been doing some research (on-line only so far) but have hit a blip with my great grandparents and wondered if anyone can help. His name was Elias Sounde  and was a trawlerman/mariner/steward, depending on where you look, from Norway and he married Jane Healey from Middlesex presumably before 1879 when grandads older brother was born but after 1870 which was when Jane was approx 16 but i can't verify a marriage for them. have tried various combinations of spellings as have already discovered from different sources that surname has been recorded as Soundie, Sounde, Saunde, Saundus and Launde. They lived in West Derby and all the children were born there but as she was originally from middlesex am not sure if they married in Liverpool or not. I have found one marriage record for Jane Heeley dec 1872 in west derby but can find no cross reference for elias. I wondered if anyone has any suggestions before I give in and  buy the certificate.

Also Elias was supposed to have drowned at sea approx 1900 there is no death record for him does anyone know any way of finding out what happened to him?

Thanks and sorry this ended up so long :)
Surname interests Soundie, Brookfield, Healey/Heeley, Frost, Handley, Goodall Weaver, Evans, Pagett, Waywell/Whaywell, Haimes, Jones, Roberts, Cummins Ryder, Bleasdale and Foley, Jackson, Robinson, Calvert and Grayson.
Searching in Liverpool, Shropshire, London, Worcester and Holywell, Stafford and Cheshire.  (and eventually in Ireland) :-)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re:Hi new member
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 February 04 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello Munchies,

I'd just like to say "Hello" and a very warm welcome here on RootsChat. The chances are it was either my Mum, myselft, or my good lady (Sarah) that probably forced a leaflet on you today in Northwich so I'm delighted that you have logged on and registered.

There are lots of helpful people on here, so let's hope some of them will give you some ideas.

Any ideas anyone?  ::)
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Chris in 1066Land

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Forever Searching, Forever Learning"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 February 04 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Trystan

"There are lots of helpful people on here, so let's hope some of them will give you some ideas - Any ideas anyone?" says he cracking the proverbial whip

Already had a go at it by putting different names in Freebmd - but without success so far - I did find a Jane Heeley in the marriages between 1870 and 1880, it was in 1875 - but no Elias to match up with her

So, we are having a go, Mr Administrator, Sir, says he standing to attention

Chris in 1066Land

Edit: Gosh, OK Chris, WHIP - Thank you for responding so QUICKLY to our new member - I will have to write you into my will thanks! -Trystan
One of Rootschats Founder Members RIP 1942-2021
Living at the Heart of English History in 1066Land. 
www.Rootschat.com/history/hastings

Swarbrooke Family Heritage
https://swarbrooke.co.uk

Own Ancestral Website:    http://maythornemill.webs.com                                          
Monumental Sculptures Website:    http://Tombstones.webs.com

Local History Site: http://zouch.webs.com
Baldslow Local History site
http://web.archive.org/web/20140626153455/http://www

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 February 04 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Munchies,  and welcome to the forum,

You say:

Also Elias was supposed to have drowned at sea approx 1900 there is no death record for him

where are you checking for this info?  And where are you looking fo rhte marriage info at present?

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 February 04 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Also Elias was supposed to have drowned at sea approx 1900 there is no death record for him

where are you checking for this info?  And where are you looking fo rhte marriage info at present?

Kazza.

Thanks to all for the welcome

I have no idea where to look for Elias as we have no knowledge of name of ship, where he was a t sea here or Norway or even if it was definitely 1900. My mum says it was told to her that he died at sea in 1900. He fathered a child in 1894 but in 1901 census wife Jane is recorded as widow so sometime during this period. Have just found a mariners website so will post there too. Am also trying to search Norwegian records to find his birth but also have no idea which area of Norway he came from or what original spelling of name was so am trying all Elias'. Have found some Elias Lunde which might be possibilities but it is a longshot so tend to come back to finding other relatives over here.

As for the marriage have tried freebmd sites, lancashire and middlesex and then everywhere as I don't know for definite where they got married. Also 18370nline checking both Healey and Heeley using jane and sarah Have long lists of all sarah jane or jane sarahs but can't find a cross reference with anyone that looks like it might be Elias. have tried searching for name Elias only and checking all marriages. Found an Elias Soe*an in sep 1875 in London Middlesex no jane on same page though but realise that records are not complete so may have to send off for certificate to rule this out. Very frustrating
Surname interests Soundie, Brookfield, Healey/Heeley, Frost, Handley, Goodall Weaver, Evans, Pagett, Waywell/Whaywell, Haimes, Jones, Roberts, Cummins Ryder, Bleasdale and Foley, Jackson, Robinson, Calvert and Grayson.
Searching in Liverpool, Shropshire, London, Worcester and Holywell, Stafford and Cheshire.  (and eventually in Ireland) :-)

Offline Kazza

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 February 04 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Munchies,

FreeBMD is adding about 1 million new records a month at present and is in te process of doing the March update,  so wait a couple of days and try again,  you may get lucky.  Are you trying the LDS Norwegian Vital Records Index?

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 February 04 16:45 GMT (UK) »
[FreeBMD is adding about 1 million new records a month at present and is in te process of doing the March update,  so wait a couple of days and try again,  you may get lucky.  Are you trying the LDS Norwegian Vital Records Index?

Kazza.

Not sure what it is i am searching I found a link through a link through alink IYKWIM. What is the address for the LDS Norwegian VRI

Offline Kazza

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 February 04 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Munchie,

I should have posted that link.  It is the main LDS site at:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp

From the list on the left of the page click on Vital Records Index,  Click on the Country arrow and select Norway.

Another Norway Link is the Digitalarkivet;

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebFront.exe?slag=vis&tekst=meldingar&spraak=e

Read the intructions to search though,  it is a little tricky.   :D

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:

Area Interests:

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 March 04 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kazza the second link is the one that I have been trying but it was taking a long time as each area had to be searched seperately. The first link is easier thanks although trying to figure out what his surname was in Norway when it was written here as Sounde is tricky. ???

And to Trystan it must have been your on the door who gave me the leaflet was it your mum/MIL taking the money at the table.