Author Topic: NEDEN in Manchester in 1871  (Read 6469 times)

Offline Robin G

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
NEDEN in Manchester in 1871
« on: Sunday 28 January 07 05:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm researching the family of Joseph and Ann NEDEN who lived in Manchester in the late 1860s and am hoping that they are in the 1871 Census.  They emigrated to South Africa in 1880.

Their children comprised:
Eda Moody
Joseph
Minnie
Emily
Annie
Frances Stafford
and possibly others

I would be very grateful for any assistance with their details.

Regards

Robin

Offline Chairlady

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: NEDEN in Manchester in 1871
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 January 07 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Mis-transcribed as “Heden” - but quite clearly Neden!

RG10/4063 ed12 folio 151 page 24
9 Cleveland Road, Crumpsall, Lancashire
Joseph Neden head m 39 woollen merchant Millington, Cheshire
Ann Neden wife m 41      Blackley Lancs.
Ann Neden daur 11      Blackley Lancs
Joseph Neden son 8      Blackley Lancs
Elizabeth A Neden daur 6   Crumpsall Lancs.
Eda M Neden daur 4      Crumpsall Lancs.
Francis S Neden son 3   Crumpsall Lancs.
Emily Neden daur 11 mo   Crumpsall Lancs.
Annie Neden Cousin 13 nurse Blackley Lancs

regards
Any Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching Knapp, McNair, Rees, Hemingway, Newland, Luce, Jobson.

Offline Robin G

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 January 07 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chairlady

Gosh, it was very clever of you to figure out the incorrect spelling of the name.  Thank you very much for going to the extra trouble of finding them.  Exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks and regards,

Robin

Offline alh74

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 August 15 17:04 BST (UK) »
Joseph Neden (born 1832) was my great-grandfather and Emily (daughter) was my grandmother. They emigrated to South Africa aboard the ship 'Nyanza' and settled at Willowfountain, 9 miles outside Pietermaritzburg. Emily married my grandfather Walter Theodore Hall in 1902, they started a school which they ran for some years. Their eldest son was Dudley Theodore Hall (born 1903) was my father, I lived at Willowfountain during my childhood years. I knew some of the Neden family eg Frances Stafford Staniland (nee Neden).  I have discovered on looking at the passenger list that there was another Neden Family on board, which I would like to know more about. Thank you for your input here - any further info I have I will gladly share.

Offline Robin G

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 August 15 06:51 BST (UK) »
Hi alh74
Thanks for contacting me.  I am particularly interested in Frances Stafford Neden.  Is the entry on the 1871 Census for Francis Stafford Neden, son, aged 3, actually for her?  Could the other family that you mention be that of their cousin Annie Neden, nurse, aged 13, also on the 1871 census.  I live in Durban so might be able to help you with any local research.
Regards
Robin

Offline alh74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 August 15 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Robin,
Thanks for your quick response.  I have not seen the 1871 Census but, Francis Neden was a daughter born in 1868, she had an older sibling born in 1860 - Anne, which would have made her 11 years old at the census. However, there does seem to be more Annie Nedens!  I have a record here of an Annie Neden (no birth date given) getting married in Pietermaritzburg in 1901 to Edward McGregor Watton (my dad used to refer to the Wattons having lived in Willowfountain). Plus there is a record of another Annie Neden getting married to Jack Nobel Chaplin in 1919 in Pmb(born 1897)
So, I am a bit confused as to who their parents were! I know, from the ships passenger list of 1880 that there were 2 Neden families - I would like to know the names of the other family, if possible. Thanks.
If you would like more info on Francis Staniland (nee Neden) I can certainly help you there - she married Frank Staniland on 15 Oct 1892 in Pmb and they had 7 children, which I have the names for.

Regards,
Austin.

Offline Robin G

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 August 15 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Austin

I believe that the other family was headed by Samuel, probably a brother of Joseph.  The link below is to the Family Search marriages in Natal.  Note the images of the certificate shows Frances Stafford, not Francis.

The two index cards are for documents in the Pietermaritzburg Archives.  The first is an Estate file so he died in 1918 (Spanish Flu epidemic?) but the estate was only finalised in 1943 which is very unusual.

Mis-transcribed as “Heden” - but quite clearly Neden!

RG10/4063 ed12 folio 151 page 24
9 Cleveland Road, Crumpsall, Lancashire
Joseph Neden head m 39 woollen merchant Millington, Cheshire
Ann Neden wife m 41      Blackley Lancs.
Ann Neden daur 11      Blackley Lancs
Joseph Neden son 8      Blackley Lancs
Elizabeth A Neden daur 6   Crumpsall Lancs.
Eda M Neden daur 4      Crumpsall Lancs.
Francis S Neden son 3   Crumpsall Lancs.
Emily Neden daur 11 mo   Crumpsall Lancs.
Annie Neden Cousin 13 nurse Blackley Lancs

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/results?count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3ANeden~&collection_id=2063749

DEPOT     NAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MSCE                                                                 
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 0                                                                     
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 2885/1918                                                             
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          NEDEN, SAMUEL.                                                       
STARTING  1918                                                                 
ENDING    1943 

DEPOT     NAB                                                                   
SOURCE    EI                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 20                                                                   
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE LIB 468/1892                                                         
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          INSTALMENTS DUE BY SAMUEL AND JOSEPH NEDEN.                           
STARTING  1892                                                                 
ENDING    1892                                                                 
REMARKS   PLACED WITH LIB 3/1890

Yes please, I would like the details of the children of Frances, I only have two.

Regards

Robin                                               

Offline alh74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Robin,
Thanks for your welcome information.  Regarding Frances Staniland's children, I will tell you what I know:
(1)Eda Mary (Girlie) born 1893, Married Edward Lancelot Glass (1892 - 1972) at the Wesleyan Chapel in PMB on 15 Oct 1918. They had 3 sons: Dennis Lionel Francis (1919 - 2009), Lancelot Dudley Stafford (1922 - 2011), Edward Eric Ivor (1925 -2005).   
We knew this family personally, as they lived quite near to us at their home the 'Willows' at Willowfountain. We didn't, however know much about Dennis because he lived (I think) in Belgium.

(2) Winnie - don't have any dates, She married Tom Holman and lived nearby as well in Willowfountain at their home the 'Fountains' - she had the most beautiful gardens. They had children, but I have to rely on memory here - I remember a daughter Sheila Anderson, whose husband worked in a senior position for the Pmb Corporation.

(3) Joseph Eric - he married Peggy and they had one son Michael Towshend (1945 - 2011) . Eric (as he was known) took over the ancestral home the 'Willows' sometime +- 1960, later selling to the government and moving to Richmond. Michael didn't ever marry - so no children.

My knowledge of the rest of the family is very vague, unfortunately - I was very young when we were involved in their lives! Perhaps if you have any further info you could fill me in. I will, though, get in touch with my brother who lives in Kloof, is 5 years older than me, and might be able to give me more details.

Regards,

Austin

Offline Robin G

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 05:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Austin

My interest in your family is because of the 1820 British Settler Thomas Glass connection. I have more information but it is a bit clumsy sending it through RootsChat.  If you have another means by which I can send it please let me know.

Regards

Robin