Author Topic: Looking for...BOUFFLER (De Bouffler), GAUCHEY, LINARD  (Read 5544 times)

Offline Ayjay228

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Looking for...BOUFFLER (De Bouffler), GAUCHEY, LINARD
« on: Tuesday 30 January 07 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Need help and more information on the following families:

Sebastian Francis GOUCHEY  b. Jun.1815

1861 Census shows him as:
Sebastian LINARD  50  Dentist   b. Marylebone
Mary   43   wife   b. Middlesex

FreeBMD shows Marriages In 2Q 1862:
Sebastian Francis GOUCHEY LINARD  and
Mary DeBOUFFLER

1871 Census shows:
Sebastian Francis G.   63   Dentist   b. Marylebone
Mary G.     57   wife   b. St. Clement Danes

1881 Census shows:
Francis GAUCHEY    72    Dentist   b. Marylebone
Mary Gauchey       61        b. St. Clement Danes

FreeBMD shows:
Sebastian Francis GAUCHEY LINARD d. St. Giles age 78,  1885
Mary GAUCHEY  d. St. Giles age 75, 1895.

Any ideas where I can find more on Mary and Sebastian?  Have done
several searches on Bouffler and DeBouffler but can't find her birth, or much else on that family. Don't know where the LINARD surname came into it. His son Edward Linard I have from the 1881 Census(age 27)

Any more help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

allan     :)

Jenkins; Griffiths; Reynolds; Simlett; Harries; Evans

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for...BOUFFLER (De Bouffler), GAUCHEY, LINARD
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 January 07 16:22 GMT (UK) »
I would definitely get the marriage certificate - they weren't married till 1862? Is Mary in 1861 the same as Mary in later years, post marriage?  Would also give you the fathers and details on if they had been married before.

It is possible Linard was a name he took for inheritence reasons - it might come from Sebastian's mother's side of the family.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 15:50 GMT (UK) »
IGI extracted records:

Sebastian Francis GOUCHEY b. 6 Jun 1815, son of Joseph GOUCHEY and Mary.

Siblings (all Marylebone):
Louisa Thomasina GAUCHEY - 8 Aug 1812
Augustus Frederick GAUCHEY - 2 Oct 1813
Mary Ann GAUCHEY - 15 Jan 1817
Alexander GAUCHEY - 22 NOV 1818   

Joseph GAUCHEY m. Mary PITT, 24 Jul 1812, Saint James, Paddington.

There are also some slightly earlier GAUCHEY births in Marylebone to Joseph GAUCHEY and Elizabeth - perhaps a previous marriage?

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ayjay228

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 February 07 02:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rambler

Many thanks for this. This is really great!

Had already found Sebastian's birth (IGI) but hadn't yet made the search for GAUCHEY, even though I have done in FreeBMD. I also now have the earlier births from Joseph and Elizabeth.

This is of great interest as my mother-in-law (now 86) has always mentioned that rumour had it that her husband's family was somehow related to William PITT! Now I have to do further research. I'll try to find William Pitt's genealogy if there's one out there. Any further help or leads would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks again

allan    :)

Offline G-Lin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 April 07 18:46 BST (UK) »
My name is Chris and I am married to a direct decendent of Sebastian Francis Gauchey Linard, who is my husband's Great Great Grandfather.
I have been tracing the family tree through the male line and also discovered the frequent discrepencies in the spelling of the surname Gauchey/Gouchey, which has hindered my research.

I have managed to trace back to Sebastian's parents who were Joseph Gauchey and Mary Pitt of which I have a copy of the original Pallot' s marriage index.
Throughout this process I have managed to find births, marriages and death certificates, IGI records and censuses to confirm most of this information.
I recently discovered Sebastian on the 1851 census:

FRANCIS LINARD aged 38  born: Marylebone  Occupation: Dentist
MARY LINARD aged 32   born: Holborn
LOUISA LINARD aged 3  born: Holborn
Living at 9 Little Charlotte Place, St Pancras, London

One member of the family that I have spent copious hours searching for is William Edward Gauchey Linard son of Sebastian who was married to Caroline Rebecca (Nee Moore). Unfortunatley we can find no record of his birth or death using any of the spelling variations, although I do have a copy of his marriage certificate on 22nd July 1885 where he is referred to as William Edward Gucher aged 29 Father Francis Gucher Dentist.

Please keep in touch lots more we could talk about.

Chris

Offline Ayjay228

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 April 07 03:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris, and welcome to RootsChat!

Many thanks for your response, the Gauchey/Linard family is on my wife's side, and Sebastian Francis Gauchey is also my wife's Gr.Gr.Grandfather!

I've made previous postings here (hope this works):

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,241.0.html

and if you check requests for Linard (Feb.2007) and MOORE (March 2007) you may get more info. The LINARD postings provided me with the same 1851 Census info. as you have.

Yes, I know all about the countless hours spent on the LINARD family. I have Caroline Rebecca's b/cert. and it's been tough trying to trace her parents also.

It would be nice to get in touch with you personally, (don't know how to do that yet as I'm a recent RootsChatter too), but there's so much I can share with you.

You'll find these people on RootsChat very friendly, helpful, and informative, and they reply pretty fast too!

Hoping to hear from you soon.

allan     :)

Offline G-Lin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 April 07 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,
Yes what a family!! Alfred Linard, the brother of Mary Ann, is my husband's grandfather who he remembers well. My husband's older brother remembers Caroline Rebecca Linard as he was 9 when she died. Frustrating now as we have so many questions but then no one spoke about family issues years ago.
The family always questioned why the first 4 children of Edward william/ William Edward and Caroline Rebecca called their children Gauchey Linard and after they married( following his parents pattern of marrying late!) when the later offspring were born the Gauchey was dropped.
My husband's aunt, the only surviving child of Alfred, remembers talk of Edward coming over to England from France when he was 7, but this doesn't make sense or fit with the records we have found. She also said Sebastian's indentures/qualifications as a dentist were always kept in a leather tube container and this was passed to their eldest son.
I have to say Sebastian's wedding certificate was the highlight of my year ,what a find!!I had never heard of Mary De bouffler and had thought Mary may have been a Linard which would have explained the  appearance of the Linard name.
Like you I had found Sebastian and Mary's death certificates and their children's wedding certificates but despite IGI's for the girl's christenings I cannot find any birth certificates. And I can find no birth or IGI for Edward!!!
I thought I had found a sibling when I noted a child called  Agnes Fanny Gauchey Linard born 1867, but no this child died 6 weeks of age and was the child of Louisa Cecilia Guchey Linard,  born around the time Louisa married.
This madness even includes Edward's death .The family say he died in 1913 and even looking generously either side of this date we cannot find it!!!
If you would be interested we have a photo of Caroline Rebecca at my husband's parent's wedding 1932.
Oh I could go on and on yes you are right it would be easier to have direct contact, but how do we do this?
Many many thanks for the info. and help.
Hoping to hear from you soon,
  Chris

Online Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 April 07 10:25 BST (UK) »
A little technical help!

Chris, if you look at Allan's message above, you will see a small "face" icon on the left.  Click on this, and it will take you to his profile.  Towards the bottom of the profile box is the text "Send this RootsChatter a personal message" (in blue).  You can correspond privately there, exchange e-mail addresses, or whatever you want!

I remember looking for this family - interesting bunch....  ::)  ::)  ::)

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline G-Lin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 April 07 12:25 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your advice Rambler, this web chat site is fabulous but it does take a while to discover all the technical side!!
Were you looking for this extremely difficult family because you are a relative?
Chris