Author Topic: Ballyfoyle - any local information anyone?  (Read 4141 times)

Offline romawi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Ballyfoyle - any local information anyone?
« on: Wednesday 31 January 07 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am just starting to look at researching my husbands family and as most of them come from Ireland, I'm a little stuck about where to start looking as I've only ever done research for England and Scotland before.
I am looking for the Burke family farm Dunmore,Ballyfoyle, Co Kilkenny.
I'm not sure If the family farm is called Dunmore or that is the name of the town it's in. Which is the local church and where could I begin to look for records of the Burke family back from 1910 when my grandfather in law Edmund was born to William and Sarah Burke.  I live in New Zealand so really need stuff online. Sorry to sound so ignorant but could anyone point me in the right direction please.
Thank you
 ???
Biddiscombe (Wiltshire).
Watson (Stockton on Tees)
Jamieson (Wolviston)
Rothwell (Salford/Heywood, Lancs - Stockton, Durham.)
Paisley(Hampshire)
White (East Stoneham/Liverpool)
Taylor (Liverpool)

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ballyfoyle - any local information anyone?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Romawi,
    Co, Kilkenney Townland Ballyfoyle. Civil Parish Kilmadam,Barony Gowran, Province Leinster.

Then we have.

TownLand Dunmore,Civil Parish St Johns, Barony Gowran ,Province Leinster. Co, Kilkenney.

Lep.

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 15:01 GMT (UK) »
romawi. Looking in the Griffiths of Ireland 1848-1864

The only Edmond Burke Was in the Townland of Cloghpook Parish Kilmadam.

There was one Thomas Burke in Townland Ballyfoyle Parish Kilmadam.

Lep.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 February 07 03:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am just starting to look at researching my husbands family and as most of them come from Ireland, I'm a little stuck about where to start looking as I've only ever done research for England and Scotland before.
I am looking for the Burke family farm Dunmore,Ballyfoyle, Co Kilkenny.
I'm not sure If the family farm is called Dunmore or that is the name of the town it's in. Which is the local church and where could I begin to look for records of the Burke family back from 1910 when my grandfather in law Edmund was born to William and Sarah Burke.  I live in New Zealand so really need stuff online. Sorry to sound so ignorant but could anyone point me in the right direction please.
Thank you
 ???

Hiya romawi,

EbookIreland. Co. Kilkenny refers to the Dunmore Cave at Ballyfoyle. History and geology blend at Dunmore Cave to give an interesting and unique situation. Consisting of a series of chambers formed over millions of years, the cave contains some of the finest calcite formations found in any Irish cave. The cave has been known to man for many centuries and is first mentioned in the 9th century Irish Triads. I doubt we will be able to trace your tree back to the days when people may have lived in the cave.