Author Topic: Thomas Reid schoolmaster  (Read 5040 times)

Offline thurston

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Reid schoolmaster
« on: Wednesday 31 January 07 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know of any information regarding Thomas Reid who was a schoolmaster in Dunbar in the mid nineteenth century.  He had a son called stephenson Reid.  Any information would be of use to my research.  They also lived in Edinburgh.  I know when they were baptised, married and died but if anyone can tell me anything else I may gain extra clues towards my research of other family members.

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Reid schoolmaster
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 21:30 GMT (UK) »
There's an inventory on ScotlandsPeople for a Stephenson Reid, dated 04/12/1876. He's descibed as a Cab Proprietor at Musselburgh Arms Stabling, Musselburgh. Not sure if it's your's.  :)

Offline thurston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.  He is the right Stephenson as I already have his inventory.  I have most of his family and know his parents were Thomas Reid and Jane Henderson.  I just wanted to know if anyone knew more info on the family. ::) ::)

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.  He is the right Stephenson as I already have his inventory.  I have most of his family and know his parents were Thomas Reid and Jane Henderson.  I just wanted to know if anyone knew more info on the family. ::) ::)

Well, I was trying to help. Hopefully someone can find something for you.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi thurston

It might help if you state what in particular you are looking for  ;)  This way people get a better idea as to what info would add to your research. For example, Thomas Reid's middle name was Cumberland, as per his marriage entry in Edinburgh. Wife Jane Henderson's father was Thomas Henderson.

Siblings showing to Stephenson on IGI, probably more, I haven't searched the OPRs on Scotlands People:

1. AGNES ISABELLA REID  Christening: 14 MAR 1824 Dunbar, East Lothian, Scotland
2. JANET REID Christening: 11 JUN 1821 Dunbar, East Lothian, Scotland

Thomas, born in Dunbar c. 1793, seems to have been widowed (twice) by 1851? He looks to have probably remarried (Agnes Grieg in 1830) going by the age of the younger children in the household in 1851.

He's alive and well in 1861. Have you looked at his death cert. on Scotlands People for confirmation of his parents?

Hopefully we can add some new areas of info to add what you have.

Regards.

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline thurston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 February 07 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica,

yes I should be clearer.  I already have alot of info but just wanted to know if anyone had any info I had not found yet.  Thanks for your research anyway!! :D

Offline Londonclanger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Wales via Gateshead via Scotland and Devon...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 October 08 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hello - very first post. Just added Stephenson Reid today to my family Tree (his name was on marriage cert of William Richardson and Jane Reid).

Be interested to hear what further info you have. I've done a few searches on ScotlandsPeople and piscked up a few Scottish Census hits for 1851 and 1861 from ancestry dot co dot uk.

Regards

Craig
Smith, Scott, Thomas, Beales, Wright, Chambers, Stockley, Richardson, Robinson, Gray, Phillippo

Offline thurston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 October 08 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Yes..I think we are related..Stephenson Reid had a sister I though was Janet but maybe it was Jane.  There father was Thomas Reid a school master.  Stephenson was an inn keeper in edinburgh and died a cab proprietor in mussleburgh scotland.  He had a number of jobs.  Can you tell me when Jane was born roughly and where she married.

Offline Londonclanger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Wales via Gateshead via Scotland and Devon...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 October 08 19:15 GMT (UK) »
My research shows Jane born in Edinburgh - definitive date not yet acquired. Oddly can't find a hit on ScotslandPeople yet.

She married on  June 1, 1868 to William Richardson St James' Parish Church, Gateshead.

I haven't managed to track down her death certificate just yet either.
Smith, Scott, Thomas, Beales, Wright, Chambers, Stockley, Richardson, Robinson, Gray, Phillippo