Author Topic: elphick  (Read 4401 times)

Offline jckl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
elphick
« on: Wednesday 31 January 07 22:11 GMT (UK) »
My gg.grandmother was Ellen H Elphick born circa 1840 in Brighton she seems to be very elusive. I think I found her father Levi Elphick in the 1851 census in 18 Spring St. HO 107/1646-487-43 she married?? James Salter in and around 1871 can any body find if and where they were married  regards  jckl
Salter, Hayes,Elphick, Grisdale, Devon, Lancashire, Liverpool

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: elphick
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Do you have Ellen in1861?

Its a very complicated census-she is a boarder(one of 40plus!)-all young girls- schedule 70 -but for rest of it you have to go back to schedule 54!

Looks like it could be a convent?

If you want me to post details, just ask

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jckl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 February 07 08:52 GMT (UK) »
I would be most obliged if you could post both schedules, it would help greatly, I have her in the 1881 - 1891 census I also have her death certificate in 1894, mostly I would like to find if and where they were married   I have found a possible birth record for Ellen , Brighton Sept 1845 vol 7 page 272, do you think it would be wise to apply for a certificate at this time   Regards  jckl :) 
Salter, Hayes,Elphick, Grisdale, Devon, Lancashire, Liverpool

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 February 07 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Sorry have delayed replying -but had to wait for a quiet moment!!!
Hope you can follow this
RG9 602 42 14
3 Wykeham Terrace Brighton
Ellen H Elphick Boarder 19 Servant Brighton

I think the term "Servant"-doesn't mean a Domestic Servant -more likely "Servant of the Lord", as they repent for their sins!!!!!!

don't know if you are going to like this info- it seems Ellen was in a Home for female penitents.
1881 this was St Mary's Home - mainly for children
1891 it was a Home for Apprentices.

go to
www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk
choose Places, then Streets, then Wykham terrace (couldn't get link to work!!)
for a picture of and information of Wykham Street.

The home consisted of houses on Queens Square and Wykham Terrace-One backed onto the other.

The home was founded by Rev Arthur Wagner, St pauls Brighton (est 1855) -if you put this into a search engine you will get lots of information on the place-which I found very interesting-and rev Wagner too.
When you read this information, you will realise Ellen changing her name (assisted by the Rev ) is a possibility.
I will list the census information in order -will give occupations of people instead of names, then you may get a better idea  of the place.
RG9 602 Folio 42
Page 9
Schedule 54
1, 2, 3 Queens Square
Occupants :
lady Superior
4 Sisters of mercy
6 Probationer Sisters
4 Serving Sisters
Page 10
2 Clergymen (wives and family)
6 Servants -listed as Servants -not Boarders
5 pensioners (ages 70-80)
Page 11
8 Servants (not Boarders)
13 Boarders who were Scholars (boys and girls) age 1-8
1 Governess
Page 12
Still Queens Square
Sisters of Mercy
Male visitor (ORailway Porter) with wife and 2 children
No 4 Fundholder (female)
No 5 Fundholder (male age 85), daughter and granddaughter-both fundholders
No6 Male age 60 Lodging House keeper, wife and daughter
No 7 Fundholder
No 8 Builder
No 9 Fundholder
Paper dealer and family
Page 13
No 10 Fundholder and family
No11 Verger of St Pauls Church (and family), Servants, Scholastic professor, Nurse
Then is written : Chapels 1 Independant Diosc. 1 particular to as??lists

this is where it tells you to go back to schedule 54(which is page 9)
3 Wykham Terrace  just has  3year old girl boarder Scholar
Page 14
Still 3 Wykham terrace
Ellen appears on this page
20 Boarder Servants -all female , single , age 16-32, 4 Boarder Scholars (girls age 9-11)
Page 15
3 Wykham Terrace
12 Boarder Servants (female single),
3 girl Boarder scholars
i Upholsterer (married age 54)
4 Visitors (male age 87 formerly sailor, female age 57 married -sailors wife and her 35 yearold daughter, female servant age 72
5 Wykham Terrace
Widow (75) who was retired officer of the Dragoons.
Housekeeper
No 5
Female widow 70 Annuiitant and 2 unmarried daughters 38 and 45 both Teachers
No 7
Curate of St Pauls Brighton

poor Ellen - life would have been very hard there.

In reply to your question about sending for the birth cert-only you can decide- sometimes you have to follow your own instincts -and whatever the outcome it will satisfy your curiosity about it.

If you think you have her father and siblings in 1851-have you done any research on them? -sometimes they can give further clues. I have traced a few of my ancestors through researching "sideways"

Hope this helps -at least it  is interesting history!!!

Regards,
Suz

Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline rutha29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Elphick, Ellen H
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 14:05 GMT (UK) »
The Ellen in the 1851 census, daughter of Levi and Harriet, is not the same girl as was in the 1861 census of St. Mary's Home on Wykeham Terrace.

Levi and Harriet (Wood) Elphick were my ancestors. Their daughter Harriet was actually born in September 1844 in the United States, then christened in St. Nicholas, Brighton
in October 1845.
After his wife died, Levi and the children immigrated to North America. In 1860 Ellen was boarding with a family in Massachusetts. She married  John Hale there in 1868, and by 1880 she  and her husband and two children were living in California. She died in California in 1917.

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruth

Welcome to Rooschat.

Levi Simpson Elphick & Harriet had a daughter Harriet Baptised 4 Nov 1832 at Brighton.
Harriet died aged 1 year & was buried 17 Nov 1833.

For Reference 1851
Levi S
Harriet
Thomas 15
William 10
George 8
Ellen 6
Ellen Elphick Widow 60
So where was Harriet baptised in 1845 ? in 1851 ?
Children all born Brighton

Kind Regards
omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline mnmilt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 February 11 03:01 GMT (UK) »
Omega,
I think that Ruth misspoke when she stated that Harriet Elphick was baptised in Brighton in 1845.  It was Ellen that was baptised in Brighton in 1845.

Levi Simpson Elphick seems to have been quite an interesting person.
From the Dietetic Reformer and Vegetarian Messenger (Manchester, England), October 1885, p307:
San Francisco - About thirty-five persons (the members of the two sexes being about equally divided) assembled last night (Thursday, June 25th) at 519, Clay Street, to celebrate the first anniversary of the organisation of the Pacific Food Reform Association. The Association was founded by Mrs. Tarrant Siddons on June 25, 1884, and has for its objects the education of the masses in the knowledge and appreciation of the advantages of a purely vegetable diet as the sole source of health, wealth, long life, happiness, and physical and moral wellbeing. Naturally the celebration took the shape of a Vegetarian banquet, in which vegetables and fruits of many varieties and in various disguises furnished the entire bill of fare.

Among others present were Brother O. G. Gardner (the President of the Society); Mrs. Tarrant Siddons, its secretary and founder; Dr. Barlow J. Smith, of water-cure fame; H. C. Wilson, Principal of the Point Lobos Avenue School and President of the Society of Progressive Spiritualists; Rev. John N. Parker, an eloquent exhorter of the same society; Rev. Nicholas Boyd, who is at present engaged in preparing the catalogue of Adolph Sutro's library; Sister Stow, the President of the Social Science Sisterhood, having for its purpose the adoption of bifurcated garments for feminine wear; Mrs. Webb, Secretary of the same Society and champion lady swimmer of the Pacific coast; L. E. Kelly, paying teller of Lather & Co.'s Bank; and last, but not least, Levi Simpson Elphick, nearly 80 years of age, whose peculiar costume has recently attracted considerable attention in the streets.

Mr. Elphick, who is a remarkably well-preserved old gentleman, with a bronzed complexion, a keen eye, and long hair of silvery white, claims that for 55 years no aninmal food, or animal products with the exception of milk, has passed his lips. To such an extent does he carry his aversion to the products of animal life that his clothing even is manufactured entirely from vegetable products. Hence he roams the streets in all weathers clad in coat and trousers of linen, with his feet encased in slippers of canvas with soles of cork, so that even as to his feet he avoids contact with the objectionable hide of the forbidden cow. Mr. Elphick never wears a hat or head-covering of any description, his motto being to keep the head cool, the feet warm, and the mouth and tongue clean.

Regards

Mark
Milton - Brighton, Eastbourne
Foord - Westham, Ringmer
Sellens/Sellins/Sellings - Sedlescombe, Crowhurst
Cash - Tonbridge, Kent
Harding - Horsham
Bodle - Hailsham, Alfriston
Crowhurst - Hailsham, Westham
Roods/Roads/Rhodes - Hailsham, Westham
Sinnock - Hailsham
Silsby - Brighton
Thomas - Brighton
Tullett - Brighton
Verrall - Sussex

Offline rutha29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 February 11 11:00 GMT (UK) »
 :-[  Sorry I misspoke, and thank you for pointing it out.  I was referring to Ellen, daughter of Levi and Harriet and mistakenly wrote Harriet. They did have a daughter Harriet, (1832-1833).

I was pointing out that the Ellen in the 1861census of St. Mary's was not the daughter of Levi and Harriet in the 1851 census. The information I offered refers to Ellen, (1844-1917) daughter of Levi and Harriet (Wood) Elphick.

Levi Elphick was, indeed, an interesting character. From England he first went to Canada, where he married widow Ann Harris. He and Ann eventually seperated. She remained in Canada,where she died in 1899.

Levi moved to California where he became a well-known 'street character' in
San Francisco, aka 'Father Elphick'. He claimed to be a vegetarian, and his death at the Kaweah Colony in California in 1891 created quite a stir in the newspapers because it was initially suspected that he had been murdered, but that proved untrue.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 February 11 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi - just popping in here out of interest, as I had an ancestor in that home for Penitants in Brighton too!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk