Author Topic: Portsoy Abernethys  (Read 2417 times)

Offline Rookgeordiegirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Portsoy Abernethys
« on: Thursday 01 February 07 15:10 GMT (UK) »
 Hi, I,m new to this forum any one connected to the Abernethys  from Cullen St Portsoy as i am a direct descendant.
 Best wishes

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
Re: Portsoy Abernethys
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 February 07 09:09 GMT (UK) »
I know people from portsoy - i can ask them if there are any abernethys still there? im sure there will be!
Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline Rookgeordiegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 February 07 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alison your are a star John AbernethyB1809 lived in Cullen St/Square married married Elspet/Eliz.b1810 cant go any further back than this.
 Good luck and best Wishes,
Jeanette

Offline ShellDeLeo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 February 07 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Robert Abernethie bap 18 Sep 1796 (ref 218/1
Longside)
son of Thomas Abernethy (ie) and Isobel  Christie
his sister was Mary
the only other clue was the parents were from Bogend
any one have any ideas about Bogend where it is
situated etc thanks
any help is appreciated thanks Michele

bervonian

« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 February 07 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michele,

If you go to Get-a-Map and enter the postcode AB45 3RD you'll see that Bogend is a farm just to the north of Longmanhill.

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 February 07 19:29 GMT (UK) »
yes thats right i drive past it every morning!
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 February 07 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Robert Abernethie bap 18 Sep 1796 (ref 218/1 Longside)
the only other clue was the parents were from Bogend
any one have any ideas about Bogend where it is situated etc thanks

If you go to Get-a-Map and enter the postcode AB45 3RD you'll see that Bogend is a farm just to the north of Longmanhill.

Careful, folks!

It's useful to remember that when a place is mentioned in a baptism or marriage entry in a parish register, it's 99% certain that the place mentioned is in the same parish. If it isn't, the record almost always says which other parish the place is in.

Bogend is a common enough farm name in Scotland. If you go to www.streetmap.co.uk and search for Bogend, it lists over a dozen - and that's only the ones marked on the current 1: 50,000 map.

Longmanhill is a hamlet in the parish of Gamrie, Banffshire, a couple of  miles south-east of Macduff. Longside is a parish in its own right, between Peterhead and Mintlaw in Aberdeenshire, 20 miles or so from Longmanhill.

I checked the 1881 census for Longside, and Bogend Farm, Lenabo Road, is in the same enumeration district as Clayhills, Oldmill, Newton of Ludquharn, Lenabo, Backhill, Auchtydore, Redbog, Braeside and Kinmundy Road, besides some other places not on the 1958 one-inch map.

So I took a look at the same area at www.old-maps.co.uk, and there was Bogend, at Grid Reference 403114,842481.

Sadly, this part of the parish is now forested, so it looks as if Bogend no longer exists. It was about half a mile east of Lenabo, which is now marked as Easterton of Lenabo on the Landranger map. It could be one of the clearings shown as white patches among the green of the forest.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 February 07 13:48 GMT (UK) »
hmm i drive past a house called bogend eery week but i just cant put my finger on where it is....i shall lookoue this week - its a steading or a farmhouse....

Alison

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 February 07 16:36 GMT (UK) »
hmm i drive past a house called bogend eery week but i just cant put my finger on where it is....i shall lookoue this week - its a steading or a farmhouse....

But unfortunately it won't be the one Michelle is looking for, which was in the parish of Longside and no longer exists.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.