Author Topic: Sumisden - anyone heard of this family name?  (Read 3411 times)

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Sumisden - anyone heard of this family name?
« on: Sunday 21 November 04 18:41 GMT (UK) »
I have found a record on the IGI for Jane Sumisden and her marriage to James Edger 15 Nov 1777, St Martins in the Fields Westminster.

I'm not exactly sure if this marriage 'fits' so unsure whether to try to get the cert.

But, more to the point, I've found no other mention of this name is any form anywhere.  Could it be a bad trascript ?

Any ideas?

Regards
jonathan
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sumisden - anyone heard of this family name?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 November 04 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jonathan

It is my understanding there is no "certif." as such - simply the image of the parish record.

It is relatively inexpensive to order the film from your LDS Centre to look at same. You could then check the transcription. You are unlikely, however to find much more information on the marriage. On rare occasions the grooms occupation and or details of the wife's father may appear (although the latter is usually transcribed in the IGI index). If, however the index is incorrectly transcribed, you may well have another name for further searching.

You also have the complete film to search, so if you have other family members in the same parish in the timeframe of the film, you may find more family records.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sumisden - anyone heard of this family name?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 November 04 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that info Trish.
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk