Author Topic: HARVEY - Help please  (Read 7110 times)

Offline dizzliz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HARVEY - Help please
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 07 July 07 03:20 BST (UK) »
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Harvey, Grantham, , ,Bogun,  Oliver

Offline dizzliz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 July 07 04:25 BST (UK) »
ummm maybe i need to apologise as have just relooked at my records and the info i have is that John Harvey born 1860  birthplace looks like Dudley ? Piaford ? or similar as the writting on the cert is hard to read . The certificate is a marriage cert from 1888 of John Harvey and Letitia Coulter married in Wellington , New Zealand. Johns parents were James Harvey ( engineer ) and Elizabeth Miller. 
Anyone please help all this is making my head go round and round
Harvey, Grantham, , ,Bogun,  Oliver

Offline Allroads

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 June 18 00:39 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know what happened to William D Harvey born 1845 son of Charley and Margaret when researching this family.
My husbands great grandfather was William MacDuff born about 1845 Banff Scotland  and emigrated to New Zealand assumedly in 1860s so far noone has found his birth records.On our family tree William D Harvey comes up as a potential member. Any information would be a help
Thanks

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 June 18 09:28 BST (UK) »
All were born in Macduff, a town 2 miles east of Banff in Aberdeenshire.  Macduff is a fishing port situated on Gamrie Bay and was known as the parish of Gamrie.
Not strictly correct. The town of Macduff is indeed in the parish of Gamrie, but there are other places in the parish of Gamrie, including Gardenstown which I have heard referred to locally as Gamrie.

The parish kirk of Gamrie is about six miles from Macduff - see http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ7962 - but there is also a kirk in Macduff itself - see http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=84886572 - which was built in 1805.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Essemmarr

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 02 March 19 21:51 GMT (UK) »
I have to agree with Harveyofgartly that James Harvey did marry Agnes Gibb and died in Kirknewton. I am descended from Margaret Brown's youngest brother James, and I have researched the Harvey family thoroughly as part of my Brown family research. However I too am missing the whereabouts of William D Harvey after the 1861 census at the Colleonard Nursery in Banff.

Offline harveyofgartly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 01 June 19 09:45 BST (UK) »
     I saw a post by you dated 2007. I have just come on to this website and finding my feet, as they say. Do you still need help with the family Harvey from Macduff (Parish of Gamrie)?

James Harvey is my great-grandfather. He died on 19 December 1913 in Kirknewton in the Parish of Kirknewton & East Calder. I do have some family records. He was married to Agnes Gibb of East Calder and who died in 1918.

James was the son of Charles Harvey (b. 1812 in Gartly, near Huntly, Aberdeenshire). His father was Peter Harvey, born around 1768, probably in Gartly. There were quite a few Harvey’s living in that parish in the 18th century.

Charles married Margaret Brown and his father Peter married Jane (Jean) Mason about 1790.

Around the late 1850’s the entire family moved to Stirling. Why I do not know but one explanation may have been to do with famine in that part of Scotland during those times.