Author Topic: Census look up please 1851 and 1861  (Read 2907 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Census look up please 1851 and 1861
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 February 07 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Betty and Joe

Not sure how William who married Jane Watt may be connected. Certainly the names of their children bear some similarities to the other Morren families. His parents were John Morren (and all its variants  ;)) and Christina Smith, both showing alive in the 1851 Census:

John Morren    66, Crofter Of 2 1/2 Acres, b. Auchindoir
Christian Morren 54,  b. Auchindoir
John Thomson    5, grandson,  b. Auchindoir

Address: Cairndaird, Auchindoir

William's birth details not showing on IGI, but one brother's does:

ROBERT MORAIN  Birth: 12 MAY 1831/ Christening: 21 MAY 1831 Auchindoir And Kearn, Aberdeen, Scotland

John showing above is a peer to John, husband to Helen, so maybe the connections are a generation back. Pure guessing here  :P, maybe the two John's were cousins.

Regards.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 February 07 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Can I go back to the 1841 census you found for John's father and his sister, are they both recorded as Morren (spelling).

This is in reply to Monica.  At the moment I only have William having a sister Mary, christened 3rd January 1762 but there may be more brothers and sisters. So far I do not have any Roberts.

The only other John is John's son born 1842.  He married Charlotte Pittendreigh c1871. and had four sons, one named John.

The John born 1801 who married Helen had three sisters, Rachel, Mary and Sarah and brothers George and William.  The two boys were dead before the 1841 census.  Rachel married a Thomas Mitchell c1821.  Sarah you have found but I have not followed Mary yet who was born in 1792.

I hope all this makes sense, as I get easily confused.

Thanks both for all your help.

Cheers
Betty

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 February 07 21:29 GMT (UK) »
I take it Barflet was an area of Auchindoir back in the 1800s.

Bareflat is a farm about a mile south of Rhynie. You can find it on www.streetmap.co.uk.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that information.  I apologise for the delay in replying.  I had missed that coming in.

Cheers
Betty